Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miroku 94 38/55

Boolit Master

That's good to hear, thanks rbertalotto

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post

I found a beautiful 1978 (forged parts) Winchester 94 in 30-30 with great wood and perfect condition for $200. Sent it to Jes with a check for $225 for a rebore to 38-55....Had it back in nine days and it shoots beautifully! For $525 I don't know how you could buy a nicer rifle in that caliber.
    I am unlearned about forged-parts '79 Winchesters. Can you conveniently point me to a reference or give a quick explanation? I googled and saw a reference to '82 and later being forged receivers. Not contesting, just trying to get up to speed . . .

Super Moderator

..............The 30-30 Is fine, and using an old 1893 Marlin action and a NOS 20" 36-CS bbl I built myself a rendition of a Marlin "Lite-Weight':

It's a fine little rifle .....................

But to me, there's just something extra special about the 38-55 cartridge!

Looks just like a bunch of baby 45-90's to me!

....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Don't take this as gospel as I've not done enough research. We all know post 64 Winchester model 94 rifles were looked upon as inferior to pre-64 versions. Mostly because of stamped parts and the alloy receivers. I have a post 64 made in 1966. When I bought the rifle to convert to 38-55, I realized the internal parts were different from the 1966. The internet offered that Winchester went back to machined / forged parts for the internals after 1978. My rifle's serial number shows it to be late 1978.

Not sure where any of this info lays, but I can tell you there is a world of difference between my 1966 rifle and this 1978 rifle. The receiver of both appear to be the same, alloy plated with steel and then blued and slight pitting where someone carried by the receiver with bare hands.

The 1978 is much smoother operating and the fit and finish is 1000 times better than the older rifle.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

I think the 375 win brass is slightly longer than the 38-55 brass and the later can be used in the 375. Not sure if it is the other way around.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Master
    375 Win brass is shortest at 2.020,
    then the "modern" 38-55 at 2.085,
    then longest the original 38-55 at 2.125

Some 375 big bores (maybe most?) have a very long chamber allowing them to accept the 2.085 and mine will almost accept the 2.125 38-55. My chamber will accept a .400 dia plug gage to 2.110 depth! That does NOT mean that anyone should shoot 38-55 loads in 375 Win firearms. But I think Win "protected" the BB 375s for that possiability. Marlin may have also ????
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Isn't it strange that you can fit the much more powerful 375 in the weaker black powder rifles chamber?
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    I intend to use this gun at original BP velocity of about 1350 fps but with smokeless. Want to try softish boolits to hunt with and COWW +2% for paper. I was thinking something about 8-9 BHN(like 30-1) and a slower pwdr like 3031 for the soft boolits. Does this sound feasible? Shoot Straight, T-Bird
    Sounds like an excellent plan. I use 50/50 alloy sweetened up a bit with tin over 3031. Haven't quite gotten it worked out but I think once some mechanical issues are resolved this will be an excellent load.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

But to me, there's just something extra special about the 38-55 cartridge!

-Buckshot

Couldn't agree more. Good to see you, Buckshot!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Isn't it strange that you can fit the much more powerful 375 in the weaker black powder rifles chamber?
    Agreed, probably gave their counsel a heart attack. Or they assumed either those (few) with 38-55s knew better OR whould not think of it. Bad plan either way in today's world! Seriously doubt the freebore and slightly undersized bullet would permit regular use in the vintage 38-55s with out damage.

The post 64 94s used an investment cast 4100 series chrome-molly steel, trusting my memory(and sometimes I don't). The alloy content of the steel is what caused the reblues to be purple. Once everyone figured out what the proper bluing salts to use we saw fewer purple 94s (thankfully). I saw one today in a little gunshop near home, still wanted 350$ for it! The stamped parts in the early post 64s got replaced in late 70s with better quality components, suspect these were also investment castings. No problem there, Ruger has always used investment castings and they have some of the toughest guns out there, TC also.

TxGunNut,,, thats is some awful purtty loads!
    Last edited by rking22; 08-13-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    When sending a rifle to Jessie for a rebore, do you send the whole rifle or just the barreled action?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

I took my gun to the LGS (sans scope) paid them to ship it. When I talked to JES that's what they told me to do. I asked if I should remove the stock, they said no. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

Boolit Grand Master

TxGunNut,,, thats is some awful purtty loads! -rking22

Agreed, but those are Buckshot's loads. My loads generally come out purty too but I'm not near as good with a camera as he is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    When sending a rifle to Jessie for a rebore, do you send the whole rifle or just the barreled action?
    Best bet is whole rifle, he will test fire it after re-boring.

Boolit Master

This thread wound up being a JES thread rather than Miroku- that's OK. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

Boolit Master

Still waiting on my prodigal gun (get it). In the interim, I have loaded 18.5gr, 20gr, 21gr, 22gr, 24gr of IMR 4198 under the Lee 359-250 with a pinch of dacron.I also loaded 18gr 5744 also with a pinch of Dacron. I loaded 4 rounds of each. The good ones will get reloaded. Any more suggestions for loads in the 1350-1400fps range? Shoot straight, T-Bird

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    This thread wound up being a JES thread rather than Miroku- that's OK. Shoot Straight, T-Bird
    Classic thread drift, sorry for my part in it. The Miroku is a worthy subject but quite honestly they leave me cold. Awesome fit & finish but....I'll leave it at that. The JES option is indeed a good one to consider even if
    that wasn't where you were headed.

Boolit Master

I'll start a more appropriately titled thread when the shootin' starts. Shoot straight, T-Bird

Went through this discussion on the Marlin forum as I have a 38-55 Marlin Cowboy. I have used both Starline brass and Winchester brass in mine and both work. Some like to get the longer Starline and trim it to fit the chamber at about 2.11 instead of the 2.085. For general purpose use the shorter brass works. I use the Lee mold and it drops the 50/50 WW/lead at about 259 grains. When I want to drive it a bit faster than the alloy permits, I use a cork wad I punched out of gasket material and shotgun buffer to make a compressed load. This works very similar to a gas check but make sure the load is compressed or you might get barrel damage.
    I chronographed 4198 and was very surprised at the velocities. I tried 23 or 24 grains and got over 1600 fps. Settled on 22 grains and may cut back yet. Most prefer not to compete with the 375 and keep the 38-55 loaded down a bit. 14-1500 fps. A favorite load for many is about 9-10 grains of Unique. Jacketed bullets are hard to get and very spendy.

DP

Boolit Master

I've tried to estimate velocities that I will get from the 4198 loads that I assembled, but it's hard because everyone seems to get such different results. I understand bbl length etc. variables, but the newest Lyman cast boolit book (I think) lists the 249gr pb at 1400ish fps from a 30 in bbl. My gun is 20 in. I may have loaded a bunch of loads hotter than I want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast