Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget Mauser Scout Scope

Boolit Master
    That is why I do not consider myself a Gunsmith.
    I am more of a Firearms Recycler.
    I restore what I can, Upgrade where needed, and take Trash and Make something Useful out of it.
    Nothing goes to waste.
    I look for the problems and solve them.
    I do not just try to find some Bolt On Solution to a simple problem.
    Like I explained with the Lee Molds.
    Build your Skills, and never thimk that a Better Tool is the answer right off the bat.

Boolit Master
    Check the used scope market. I would sooner have a used Redfield or something similar than a new, cheap
    scope

Boolit Master
    I don't know what magnification range you consider acceptable. I would just add the caveat that too much magnification can be counter-productive sometimes. You only need just the minimum in order to be able to shoot accurately. At 200 yards, 4X should be good for many people (however, everyone is different and must find what works best for him/her).

Having said that, I can recommend the Burris Scout scope at 2.75X. Nikon makes an excellent pistol scope, at 2X, that happens to have 100 yard parallax (like most rifle scopes). The Nikon is a bit less than $200. If you would prefer 4X or greater, then it gets more difficult, but the high-end Weavers (Japanese made) are not bad. Not that many variable magnification/ long eye relief scopes on the market, but there are some. I would just suggest buying a good brand - you certainly get what you pay for with optics. Cheap will get you no where. Also, sorry to say this but, most Chinese made scopes are not very good quality - so I would steer clear of those - if at all possible. Heck, that may not even be possible any more, with so much outsourcing to China these days.

I can't really recommend a variable magn. scope, as I never liked them. I always used a 2X or 4X on my Mauser Scout... and I've gone back to iron sights anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with bcp477 that scope power is a consideration for what you want to do with the rifle. If you want to use the scope to aim the rifle as a scout rifle is intended then 1.5X to 3X is best. Even at 3X it can get a little slow depending on the quality of the scope and whether or not the scope is mounted correctly (most "scout" mounts for milsurp rear sight bases put the scope way to high for fast acquisition).

If you intend to use the rifle for general shooting when speed is not a consideration then a higher power scope can be advantageous. I have found the Burris 2x7 Scout scope to be excellent for all around use. At 2 power it is excellent for quick and accurate shooting and for longer range shots 4 - 7x gives the precision for very accurate long range shots. With M80 (U.S.) ball ammo I can consistent hit an E target out to 600 yards with the FR8. Yes the Burris 2x7 is spendy (I didn't think so as I had a bunch of Cabella's points also) considering it's use on a milsurp but you can only shoot as good as the sights regardless of the cost of the rifle. For less cost the Burris 2.75 Scout is my next choice with the 2x Burris pistol scope after that. All are excellent scopes with excellent in country warranties.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 145434

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12