Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 20 gauge - sticking a toe in the water

20 gauge - sticking a toe in the water

Figured I would like to at least know how to reload for shotgun so I purchased a Lee Loader for 20 gauge. Now I'm not finding the crimp starter that was optional with these kits and mentioned in the directions for use. Wonder if anyone knows if I can use one of these crimp starters intended for shotgun reloading presses as a hand tool.

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,2942.html
    Or
    http://www.hornady.com/store/20-Gaug...tarter-1-Each/

With 20 gauge it does not look like I will save a lot of money reloading for it but I would like to be able to use the kit to make a box or two just so the grandkids can shoot "my" ammo in it once in awhile and I will know I can load for it if I want/need to.

Thanks for any advice you can provide regarding these or other tools for crimp starting.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I can't answer that question but I sure appreciate the top link! I went to the site and wound up buying a bunch of shot and three different powders at prices cheaper than I've seen anywhere
    lately! BTW, the Lee Load All is an inexpensive loader that will do all a casual shooter could ask. About $50 bucks and I've loaded Thousands of rounds with them. A little crude but very effective. Of course I am too, at times! Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Yes, you can sir. You just need that crimp starter, a piece of tube and a dowel.

For a better idea on how to make your kit, check this link
    http://beforeitsnews.com/self-suffic...t-2463934.html

Buying a roll crimper is also a good idea, you can reuse your hulls after the star crimp area tires (cut hull to desired length), or can make your own mini-shells. However, you don't need many tools.

When I was a teenager, I had a 32ga single barrel, and reloaded it with a large nail (deprime) and a flat piece of steel with a hole (for depriming and priming). I used cards cut with a wad punch and glued them over the shot it white glue.

Today I have a single stage press for the 12, and a roll crimper for the .410. I may or not add the crimp starter some day, I really like how the star crimps look

My best regards.

recobs has a pretty good reputation - glad you found the link useful. Thought about the Lee Load All and while it seemed like a decent buy for a casual shot gunner, I'm going to load even less than that. Did not really want to give up the bench space to have one. Do have a lee wack-a-mole for pistol ammo so figured give the shotgun version a try.

Appreciate the confirmation and link to article will order the crimper in 6 and 8 point and see about getting a few cranked out. Roll crimper looks interesting but a purchase for later possibly. Baby steps don't you know.

I found a bunch of shot at a scrap yard as lead, don't really like to melt perfectly good shot down for the lead so..... Guess it was time to try something new. On the other hand the magnum stuff has a fair amount of antimony and may make it into cast boolits.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master
    Some people have reported good results with the smooth crimp started, you don't have to separate the 6 and 8 point hulls.
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC...info/1308462S/

Boolit Master
    RogerDat, you said you can't crimp the shell with the things that came in the kit?

If yours is similar to this one, you already have what you need. Don't spend the extra cash if so

Check: https://youtu.be/8uJfG81hQDA

Victorfox - that is essentially the kit. Except mine being 20 gauge.
    I suspect that the difference may be between reloads that already have some crimp established and new hulls. Or the difference between paper and plastic hulls. I think I have seen more than one reference to these kits do better with paper hulls. 20 gauge paper hulls is probably not going to happen I think there was one place that sold paper hull ammo but that was real expensive way to get paper hulls to reload since the ammo itself was premium.

I suppose I should try some once fired plastic hulls first and sort of take it from there.
    I was starting from reading the directions, and we all know the directions are just there to distract and confuse us

Any reason not to use regular plastic wads rather than the fiber wads used in the video?

Boolit Master
    Hi there Roger. Essentially the Guy in the video must be following some old recipe. As you may or not know, shotshells work at relatively low pressures and the substitution of any component may spike pressures and be dangerous to you and your gun.What you should do is essentially grab a shotshell reloading book choose a recipe and follow it. I don't know what components you already have so it's wise to take a look at a book or ask/search the forum for a published recipe.Btw, most of the old time paper shells used fiber wads, but you can use shotcups if there's a tested recipe. The oposite is also true, you can use fiber, card, gas seals, whatever, in plastic hulls as long as you follow the recipe.It's good practice to start reducing powder charge from 5% to 10% of the published load, some also print the minimum powder charge so you are good to go in any case.Don't try to build your own recipe if you're not experienced or can't send the shells for pressure testing. I'm doing this with the .410, but I'm crazy and really have to do it because I live in a place where guns are so controlled I can't go and buy what is needed or called for in a recipe. It also makes recipes easier to follow. There's only one brand of wads, 3 types, 2 types of powder, only one type of hulls, one primer. Everything is built around these.Post the components you already have, I have tons of reloading books in my computer, I'll try to help you. And others will do the same.You can take a look at the powder makers websites too. Alliant has very extensive data, Winchester et al.Concerning the new hulls I think the are a bit hard to make the first crimp without an appropriate tool. If your lee loader is giving troble then you'll really need that crimp starter. I never messed with new hulls but the one I cut I have to press the crimp starter with a little more force. The once or twice shot hulls reform the crimp very easily.

Boolit Master

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/874820.htm

I began my shotshell reloading back in the day with a Lee Loader in 20 ga. It works great with paper. Not so well with plastic although certainly adequate and shootable, just not so neat looking from a crimp standpoint. The link I posted is for a 20 ga. 8 point crimp starter from Lee. My crimp starter is a 6 point. When it was my only loader, I mostly loaded 6 point shells. The crimp starters from MEC work well as hand tools and I use them for loading my .410 hulls. I also use the MEC sizing ring which you may find need for if you're loading hulls not shot in your gun. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along