WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Across the Canadian Border

Boolit Buddy

Concealed Carry Across the Canadian Border

I am planning a driving trip to Canada and was wondering if I could take my concealed carry weapon with me, I have a permit. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Boolit Master

This is a start: http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/firearms.html

Short answer is "No"

Do a Google search for "handguns crossing into Canada."

Boolit Buddy
    No - Not even in your vehicle...pistol

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Canada has no legal concealed carry for civilians. The "Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States" says "Canada prohibits the importation of any handgun without an Authorization to Transport (ATT). These ATTs are rarely issued to Americans and are given to Canadiens on a highly discretionary basis. Travelers without an ATT who attempt to enter Canada with handguns will have their weapons confiscated, their vehicles impounded and could face prosecution. Securely casing the handgun and stowing it in the trunk will not prevent seizure. Mere possession of a handgun anywhere in a vehicle without an ATT is illegal."

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...nstocanada.htm

Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.

Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms.This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are "prohibited" and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.

Other Things You Need to Know
    In all cases, travelers must declare to Canadian Customs authorities any firearms and weapons in their possession when entering Canada. There are often facilities near border crossings where weapons may be stored, pending the traveler's return to the United States, but this should be done before attempting to enter Canada.

Canadian law requires that officials seize firearms and weapons from persons crossing the border who deny having them in their possession.Seized firearms and weapons are never returned.

By far the easiest way to transport firearms is to have them crated and shipped to your destination via a commercial carrier.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia John View Post
    I am planning a driving trip to Canada and was wondering if I could take my concealed carry weapon with me, I have a permit. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?
    Your permit is good for where it was issued. I can't even imagine why you'd think you could use it in Canada. It's not even valid in most states in this country. You get caught at customs with a handgun you might as well file for Canadian citizenship because you're probably going to be there a while.

Most states honor reciprocity of concealed carry permits, so long as you verify and abide by the laws of the state you are in concerning concealed carry. However, like it has already been said here, you are asking for a very bad trip if you show up at the border with a handgun

Vendor Sponsor

Carry it to the border, go to the bus station and rent a locker, put the gun in the locker and retrieve it when you come back across.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I can't even imagine why you'd think you could use it in Canada. It's not even valid in most states in this country.
    Because we call Canada our 51st state?

Boolit Master

I have crossed the border a few times in a car and was waved through both on crossing into Canada and back into the US. Now, whether I had a gun with me at the time, I guess I'll just take the 5th on that. They don't check every car and person, but if they did check you, you would probably end up losing a bit of money on the process.

Of course, it's possible to drive to Alaska and bypass Canada via the Alaskan Maritime Highway system (i.e. ferries).

Boolit Master

In 2010 I rode the bike to Alaska via the top of the world highway and camped quite a bit. There were four of us, we all bought flare guns and it was right next to my sleeping bag every night.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Most states honor reciprocity of concealed carry permits, so long as you verify and abide by the laws of the state you are in concerning concealed carry. However, like it has already been said here, you are asking for a very bad trip if you show up at the border with a handgun
    If you're using the word "most" meaning a majority, this is incorrect. Most states DO NOT have across the board reciprocity with other states. Anyone who thinks that's true is going to get into some trouble some day that won't be easily gotten out of. Statements like this given on the internet are worth every you paid for them. Check the states you'll be traveling through to see if they honor before leaving home. The word "most" is pretty vague, it doesn't tell which ones will and which ones won't. Typical internet "facts".

In Remembrance
    Canada customs always ask if you have any firearms. They will generally tell you that you are in no trouble if you tell declare you have it, they will not let you in with a hand gun, but do not consfiscate or prosecute if you declare you have it, now if you claim you don't and they find it, it is a WHOLE new ballgame.

Boolit Master

Might be a good excuse to buy a Kel-Tec shotgun, after all it does fit nicely in my tour-pack.

Boolit Master

One thing that I noticed in Canada though was that it seems that all the shooting ranges were private gun clubs. I never saw a public range. I suspect that if you drove far enough north, you could go shoot in the frozen tundra without being a member of a gun club.

Now, having said that, some people do go up there for IDPA and such competitions at the gun clubs. From what I understand, do it legally, you have to have a written invitation though and fill out the appropriate forms (and pay the government).

Boolit Master

If you're using the word "most" meaning a majority, this is incorrect. Most states DO NOT have across the board reciprocity with other states. Anyone who thinks that's true is going to get into some trouble some day that won't be easily gotten out of. Statements like this given on the internet are worth every you paid for them. Check the states you'll be traveling through to see if they honor before leaving home. The word "most" is pretty vague, it doesn't tell which ones will and which ones won't. Typical internet "facts".
    I always check when traveling to verify what the laws are in the states I am going through. But, if you are from a "shall issue" state and are going through other "shall issue" states you will find your CHL is good in most of them. It's those states next to the oceans you have to watch out for.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have a Canadian Purchase and Acquisition License, and also restricted and non-restricted licenses. To take a handgun in to Canada, I must first contact the Provincial Firearm Officer in each Province I would be traveling through, British Columbia and Alberta in my case. I would have to be able to show a notification from a registered shooting range with a scheduled shoot. The gun would need to be in a locked case, and never be left unattended.
    I found it is easier for me to go to Canada with my long guns, and borrow a hand gun for competition.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I been through a few times. Handguns are a NO_NO we even got put in a room and questioned about my wifes Mace/bear spray. It was forgotten and had a date 5 yrs past so they didn't fine her.

Ship or fly with Canada prohibited stuff.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia John View Post
    When you get out of jail in Canada, take your pistol and permit to Mexico and see if they will honor it. You might as well go for the total North American jail experience.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Maryland Recognizes NO permits from other states except for on duty armored car guards. They have police cars with license plate readers so if your state flags you have a permit you might get pulled over, it has happened. Maryland is a MAY issue state that requires a "Good and Substantial Reason" to get a permit. The state police decides on what permits to issue so very few are granted. If you transport through Maryland be certain you follow all federal rules and don't stop in Maryland.

Washington DC is even worse you can be arrested for having one empty brass cartridge case in your car. People in the area do a brass check before going to DC. And one short section of the Washington DC beltway is actually part of the district.
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 07-23-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Maryland Recognizes NO permits from other states except for on duty armored car guards. They have police cars with license plate readers so if your state flags you have a permit you might get pulled over, it has happened. Maryland is a MAY issue state that requires a "Good and Substantial Reason" to get a permit. The state police decides on what permits to issue so very few are granted. If you transport through Maryland be certain you follow all federal rules and don't stop in Maryland.

Washington DC is even worse you can be arrested for having one empty brass cartridge case in your car. People in the area do a brass check before going to DC. And one short section of the Washington DC beltway is actually part of the district.
    I don't go east of the mississippi river. Cops are A holes east of there.

Florida is the exception cause my mom and dad live there in winter and the fishing ain't bad. Yeah I usually fly!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast