Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New LEE design: 358-200-RF

New LEE design: 358-200-RF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEE 358-200-RF.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	145124

Received my mold yesterday. The new two cavity design makes for an extremely light mold, hard to keep consistent temperature, but easy to heat up again.

The design is pretty straight forward, the nose is a bore rider and goes full diameter first at the shoulder in front of the crimp groove. I don't know when it was added and if it is a clone of some CB group buy?
    Weights in at 203 grain with WW.

The OAL is way too long for .357 Magnum in a revolver, but a .357 Mag could use it in .38 Special brass (like the old 173 gn Keith SWC). I plan to try it with .38 Special in my .357 Magnum S&W 627 and with .357 Mag brass in my custom .357 Maximum as well as in my Contender .35 Remington.

I use aluminum checks, I know it looks like plain base in the picture.
    Last edited by Whistler; 07-22-2015 at 04:05 AM.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Let's hope for a 6-cav version soon. I hate those small 2-cavs...

http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/...mold-c358200rf

Name:	90449-600x600.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	145125
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a clone of the RCBS bullet, which is a proven performer.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I have been wanting a heavy bullet for 357, thanks for the heads up Whistler.

If I hadn't just got an RCBS 35-200 this week, I'd be all over that one!

FWIW, the RCBS 35-200 cast 208gr with COWW's + 2% Sn. Length is .895" from base to metplate.

Just ordered one today straight from Lee and looking forward to it. Hope it ends up working as good as everyone claims in my 35 Rem since I have been waiting forever for the Mihec 220 HP to bill.

Thank you!

I have been looking for something a bit heavier in .357mag. Mine is a H&R single shot so no issues with length. In fact I load some loads in .360DW brass.

FYI I did order it and the new Lee .452 shallow groove mold
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 07-24-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Name:	35-200_02.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	145178
    Empty .357 next to .38 Special with the 35-200 or 358-200-RF.

Name:	35-200_01.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	145179
    Loaded in .38 Special case the 35-200 is pretty much without margin, better crimp tight so as to not lock up the cylinder! This is a 627 in .357 Mag. N-frame has shorter cylinder than L-frame (586, 686 etc).

My initial load is 13.0gn N110 in the .38 case. That gives a 104% fill rate, 1200 fps out of 6" barrel and power factor 244. Woopah!
    Last edited by Whistler; 07-23-2015 at 04:02 AM.

If only Ruger had made the 77/357 rifles with a longer bolt throw and magazine.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    That looks like a good candidate for my 357 Handi Rifle! Thanks for the photos and posting!

Boolit Mold
    Looks good. What does the diameter mic out to before sizing?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Let's hope for a 6-cav version soon. I hate those small 2-cavs...

http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/...mold-c358200rf

Name:	90449-600x600.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	145125

Have you tried a Lee 2-cav lately? Last couple of years they have changed the alignment pins and a few other things. I like the Lee 6 cavs but Lee has stepped up their game on the 2 cavs.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

TXGunNut: Please read the first line in the thread.

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered mine! Gonna try it in .38spl (in a RugerBH, and a Rossi 92), .357mag and .357Max outta my HandiRifle, .35 Rem (Marlin), and .35 Whelen ('98mauser)!!!

Boolit Master
    What size bullet does it cast with ww?

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good!
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    I have a Handi rifle and a Redhawk that I'm using the Lyman 358627 214 g. in, this would be a good one to try in that upper weight class. Thanks for the post.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I've been wishing Lee would make one of these for years. Just ordered one, should be great in the 35 Remington after beagling.

I received mine yesterday and the first impression was amazing with the deep venting on the top as well as the faces. A clean up and this one was ready to go. Measuring my finished bullets required a magnifying glass to find a part line on any of the bullets and Hornady gas checks fit tightly. Bullets were .358- 360 with .358 on the part line with 3-3-94 and air cooled. Weight was consistant at 207gr +/- .4gr sized and lubed.

I loaded them in once fired 35 Rem cases sorted by brand using IMR 3031 starting at 32gr and all the way to 36gr hoping to make it to the range this week.

Plans fell through for our out of town trip so decided to see how those shot out back at @ 60 yards and was not impressed although many might call it good as the kill zone would have been fairly easy within 200 yards for deer sized game. Disapointed as I was getting sub MOA with LeveRevolution at my last range trip with my new to me old Remmy.

So I crunched #'s in Quickload for hours and searched for others pet loads and decided to stuff some Benchmark in the case since I have enjoyed great success in many other calibers I load and have plenty of it. I decided to jump right in further up from a starting load and was sure it would be safe to start there. The results were:

Name:	35rem-35benchmark-38-200-n-07-26-2015 copy.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	145418

ANyhow looks like I will load up some more rounds taking more care to do so and run some ladder tests to see if I can fine tune it on my next chance to head out to a range I can stretch it out on and take the chrony as well. As a side note it was nice to have close to the same point of aim as the LR rounds.

I believe Lee molds are coming around if my mold is an example of others. It cast perfect right off the bat with a good cleaning and didn't require polishing and filing to get it there. Then it rained bullets with no beating, smoking etc. They all fell from the mold when it was opened and worked smothly as well.

So again how large was that raise you received from LEE lol. . Thank You so much for the report as I placed an order for this mold this morning. Though I will probably have to either Beagle the mold or lap it in order to throw at least a .360 boolit for my JM Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. And I plan to use H-322 of which is close to Benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    I received mine yesterday and the first impression was amazing with the deep venting on the top as well as the faces. A clean up and this one was ready to go. Measuring my finished bullets required a magnifying glass to find a part line on any of the bullets and Hornady gas checks fit tightly. Bullets were .358- 360 with .358 on the part line with 3-3-94 and air cooled. Weight was consistant at 207gr +/- .4gr sized and lubed.

I loaded them in once fired 35 Rem cases sorted by brand using IMR 3031 starting at 32gr and all the way to 36gr hoping to make it to the range this week.

Plans fell through for our out of town trip so decided to see how those shot out back at @ 60 yards and was not impressed although many might call it good as the kill zone would have been fairly easy within 200 yards for deer sized game. Disapointed as I was getting sub MOA with LeveRevolution at my last range trip with my new to me old Remmy.

So I crunched #'s in Quickload for hours and searched for others pet loads and decided to stuff some Benchmark in the case since I have enjoyed great success in many other calibers I load and have plenty of it. I decided to jump right in further up from a starting load and was sure it would be safe to start there. The results were:

Name:	35rem-35benchmark-38-200-n-07-26-2015 copy.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	145418

ANyhow looks like I will load up some more rounds taking more care to do so and run some ladder tests to see if I can fine tune it on my next chance to head out to a range I can stretch it out on and take the chrony as well. As a side note it was nice to have close to the same point of aim as the LR rounds.

I believe Lee molds are coming around if my mold is an example of others. It cast perfect right off the bat with a good cleaning and didn't require polishing and filing to get it there. Then it rained bullets with no beating, smoking etc. They all fell from the mold when it was opened and worked smothly as well.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast