MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone know who made this big green thing?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone know who made this big green thing?

Does anyone know who made this big green press? The frame looks to be cast from aluminum and is 15 inches high. It has a stamped serial number of 5A604. It looks like there was once a manufactures sticker above the serial number. The present sticker is from a previous owner. The lower press linkage is for a rather complicated priming system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1314.jpg   IMG_1316.jpg   IMG_1315.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I saw that on eBay a few weeks back. It sure stumped me then. Even with your extra pictures I still don't know.

I fiqure this is one for Pressman.

Thanks for the pics!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy
    No idea, but the construction and materials have me leaning towards deitemeyer, even though I've never seen one built like that. The way the handle is made and cast aluminum are similar features of my deitemeyer press.

I'd be interested to find out who made it. Maybe it's a homemade invention?
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    .... Maybe it's a homemade invention?
    I don't have anything to contribute toward the OP's question but the comment above brought to mind that there seems to be a fine line between homemade and some commercially manufactured presses. Using the example above, why couldn't a competent home machinist produce it? I think that's the beauty of some of these early presses. Someone with certain skills and an idea could produce them.

Quote Originally Posted by beeser View Post
    I don't have anything to contribute toward the OP's question but the comment above brought to mind that there seems to be a fine line between homemade and some commercially manufactured presses. Using the example above, why couldn't a competent home machinist produce it? I think that's the beauty of some of these early presses. Someone with certain skills and an idea could produce them.
    Absolutely right. Take a look at some of the home built swaging presses in the Swaging section. I drool each time.

Banned
    I would like to seem a lot of close-up pictures of this press. Interesting design, it appears to have been inspired by the Schmitt Model 17.
    The cast frame says it was shop made along with the auto primer feed system. It could have been a working model to study the feasibility of the design with an eye towards production. In the end the project gets cancelled and the press is unknown outside those who worked with it. Judging from the design I would say none of them are still with us either.

We may never know.

Ken

I have an auto indexing turret press that fits this category, Who, when, why it was made is a mystery.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Ken

I have an auto indexing turret press that fits this category, Who, when, why it was made is a mystery.
    Ken,
    Can you please post a picture of it?

Boolit Buddy
    Pressman --- Thank you for your comments. I will take a number of close-up pictures. If it is acceptable to you I will e-mail them to you. That would be much easier than attaching to this thread.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    ... It could have been a working model to study the feasibility of the design with an eye towards production. In the end the project gets cancelled and the press is unknown outside those who worked with it. Judging from the design I would say none of them are still with us either.

We may never know.

Ken
    I'm also looking at an auto indexing press very similar to the Hollywood that seems to have been ready for production. There are enough parts for about a dozen or so complete presses. You have to wonder why the project wasn't carried forward. I'm still trying to figure out why the shell plate and upper platform holding the dies, etc. has 12 stations.

Banned
    Beeser, you know not what you ask when requesting pictures. I spent an hour yesterday morning digging through hundreds of folders and an uncountable number of pictures 'cause I know I took pictures of that turret press. All I discovered was that I found out I need a secretary to keep it all organized.

Some day I'll be able to post pictures of the unusual turret, not just this weekend. Wife owns the rest of my time.

Ken

Banned
    The sticker on the press reads: Twidwell Reloading Press. It was located in Omaha, but that may, or may not, mean anything.

The press uses a non-RCBS type shellholder but has a sort of auto primer feed. The frame is cast aluminum which could date it to the early 1950's and shop made. Long before RCBS invented the shellholder.

The over arm handle and linkage is similer to that used by CV Schmitt on his Model 27. Die mounting is more traditional having a 7/8-14 tpi single die station on the sliding carrier.
    It is the primer mechanism that has me baffled yet. From the pictures I have not been able to figure out just how it feeds.

Overall this is a very curious press.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1323-1.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Pressman --- I realized that I gave you some wrong information --- The press was shipped from La Grand, Oregon.

For those interested attached is the press setting beside a Hollywood Senior press.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1317.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	145316

Boolit Buddy
    Let me try to explain the priming mechanism. I think that the process can only be understood with the press before you.

The priming system on the press is something to behold. It is about as complicated as one could devise. The maximum case length that can be primed is something in the .30-06 range.

The unpainted rectangular plate about half way between the shell holder shelf and the top of the press on the left side of the press houses a detent system which I assume is a spring and steel ball. The moving die holder has a matching indentation. When the die holder passes this point there is a thump indicating that you should stop the die holder there.
    I will start the priming process with the press arm lowered and the shell casing has been sized and the old primer removed. The press arm is raised and the die holder is raised to the detent position.
    The priming plate is the silver thing mounted below the shell holder shelf. The priming plate has a hole sized for a large primer through it below the priming tube hole. The priming plate has a primer gate below the primer hole which supports the primer.
    The priming plate can only be swung into priming position when the die holder is stopped at the detent location. The priming plate arm is rotated clockwise and the primer gate is opened by the primer arm. The primer is transferred onto the primer arm.
    At this time the press arm can be moved upward to seat the primer. The primer arm is protruding through the primer plate and is locked in this position. After the primer is seated the press arm is lowered slightly and the shell casing is removed and another in installed. The press arm is lowered until the detent is felt. The primer plate is now moved back to its original position. The press arm is now lowered to size the shell casing. The press arm is now raised to the detent position and the process is repeated.

I typed in twidwell reloader in Google and found the patent. Seems it was filed in 1955 to John twidwell of pasco, wa. Patent no
    US2829553 A

A lot of info and and a couple diagrams. Very interesting. I had to take another look at this as I reminded me of a couple of presses a gentleman had that I saw. Not the same though.