Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How many grains of BP in a 45-70 case?

Boolit Master
    Thanks Lumpy - I've got almost 2 lb of 3F so I'll be trying that over the next few days. Cleaner and better groups - just how much better can it be

Ken H>

Boolit Buddy
    LOL-We ARE talk'n about REAL black powder--
    Fill the case till you see .375'-.400' powder compression with the wad(I use LDPE .060)to seat a grease groove bullet. You want to run about .002" neck tension. IF your using Starline brass. You may do well to learn about case mouth annealing.
    Just close the case mouth so you can chamber the round and enjoy the smoke.
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Banned

or maybe no neck tension at all with a fire formed case. no annealing needed, either.

Boolit Master
    Oh yes, the "real" stuff - well, as real as Goex can make it. Lord de mercy - what icons will they come up with next?

I've been anealing brass cases since back in '70's sometime when I first got started with reloading while in college. Boy, were those broke (money wise) days!

Ken H.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Oh yes, the "real" stuff - well, as real as Goex can make it. Lord de mercy - what icons will they come up with next?

I've been anealing brass cases since back in '70's sometime when I first got started with reloading while in college. Boy, were those broke (money wise) days!

Ken H.

Hi Ken, a lot of lessons more learned from the guys here.

it`s very intersing to follow your thread to find the right load e.g looks like similar to most beginners here.

for me i was settled on 67 grs of Schuetzen FFG , Milkcarton Wad ,.350 compression , Lyman Postel Bullet one GG exposed. S&B large Rifle Primer
    I do not resize brass after firing
    bur i give a little neck tension with my lyman necksizer die to avoid that the bullets stuck in the barrel ( i i need to dicharge a round) or the bullet will fall out if i turn the case upside down.
    See no differencen in accuracy with or without neck tension this way.

Klaus from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Folks, I do appreciate all the sharing of knowledge on this site, and do understand the ease of buying a commercial lube.... BUT - from all reading, Emmet's lube seems about as good as it gets, and that's so easy to mix up at home with the stuff (beeswax, crisco, canola/olive oil) I've got on hand. I think I like the idea of adding lanolin to the mix. Ordering $10 of lube is easy, but that $10 is actually $20+ by the time it's shipped.

If all these rifles will do is go "bang" hitting a 5 gallon bucket I'm going to be VERY disappointed - I hope to get 2 (3?) inches MOA from the old guns. I really really hope for 1" MOA from the new 45-70 barrel that's ordered for a Rolling Block action. I do ALL my testing with bench rest and scope - That's the ONLY way I can really test a rifle or load. Well, the trapdoor doesn't have a scope, it has a holographic sight mounted on barrel for the long eye relief required. While I'd LOVE to shoot iron sights, my eyes just don't see well enough - things are a blur. Glasses to focus on sight, and target is a big blur. I've not managed to get both clear at same time.

Thank ya'll again for sharing - I'm sure learning a LOTS about BPCR. Never realized it was so involved. BUT - they keep telling us old folks to work crossword puzzles to keep the mind working.... me, I'd rather do something useful like learn new skills - BPCR, gunsmithing, knifemaking, computer programming.... just too many fun things to do rather than waste my time on crossword puzzles!

Ken H>
    Ken, a little friendly tip.
    It's almost impossible to see a clear target when concentrating on the front sight. In my younger years my vision was better then 20/20 sharp enough that I could see a .45 caliber hole in the white at 100 yards. Now I cant see it at 25 yards shooting my 1911.
    Here is a friendly tip, get a set of Knobloch frames and see your Optometrist and tell him what you want to accomplish. Seeing the front sight clear and still the down range target good enough that you can hold on it. My eye Doc told me to bring my rifle in and I will work on what you need.
    He ground my shooting eye lens that I can see the front sight post clear and also a fairly clear image at 100 yards or so and good enough at 1000 yards to be able to hold on the fuzzy black bull. The off eye he put a lens in that will give me a clear target at infinity so I can read the number boards.
    With these frames you will look through the center of the lens where you get the sharpest vision with out distortion and It does not cost any more then a regular pair of glasses and they work just as well as a good quality rifle scope.

http://www.frontierarms.com.au/produ...sses-1-800.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345