Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Conical bullets vs. Balls in BRASS 1851 Navy Cap & Ball revolver?

Boolit Bub

Conical bullets vs. Balls in BRASS 1851 Navy Cap & Ball revolver?

I couldn't resist Cabela's sale and ordered one. .44 cal, which shoots a .451 ball or .454 ball, depending on who you ask. Those balls weigh @ 140gr.

I currently shoot a .452 cast bullet in both .45 colt and .45 acp--it weighs 200gr.

Am I asking for trouble if I start low and work up with a projectile that heavy?

Boolit Master
    I am quite sure that I would not try to use them in a brass frame. I would probably not do it in a steel frame.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the conicals for these revolvers from lee weigh around 180grns. Look at the mould on Titans or Lee and double check me here. If using round balls alot use .457 balls so there is a full shrear and seal around the chamber and ball. This swedging when loding sizes the balls / bullets whne loaded. Also the conicals being longer take more room in the chamber meaning a lowered charge also.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think so Dave. From what I have read and retained in the memory banks, the brass framed clones tend to shoot loose very quickly with anything approaching a normal load. I think a 200 grain projectile will cause more problems even with the necessarily lighter powder charge.

The only brass framed Colt clone I have is a .31 cal that came very cheap at an auction: as in no one was bidding on it so I opened the bid and got it.

Robert

Perm-Banned
    only shoot roundballs for safety and for accuracy. i have high end cowboy open tops and only shoot roundballs as they are most accurate with them and they dont stress the gun. dont stress your gun, just have fun with it.

Boolit Master
    the lee bullets have a reduced ring at the bottom almost like a place for a gas check. now this is to help load the bullet straight. the colt bullets you are out of luck.

now this shooting loose. I have never seen a brass frame shoot loose. I have seen more then one destroyed loading balls made from wheel weights. both the loading leavers and pulling the arbor out of the frame. also back in the day the early reproduction guns were not quite up to the standards of todays guns.

I have made this offer before I will buy two colt navies one brass one steel. you supply the caps and powder. I will shoot them till they give out just to see how long thy last.

I have shot the lee 200 grain conical mold bullets in my steel full frame 1858 Army. Different animal somewhat. They are a hoot to shoot as they kick a bit more and ring the gongs harder, but accuracy decreased as compared to the balls. The balls load easier, quicker and are more accurate.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've been shooting C & B for over 50 years and have owned a lot of '51 Navies - in the Navy caliber of 36. I've also had a few 44s. On the brass frames - stick away from heavy loads as over time, they won't hold up. Nothing wrong with a brass frame but don't use a lot of heavy loads. Remember that the steel cylinder is slamming in to the boss recoil shield - over time with heavy loads, you'll see the effects Over time, heavy loads will also put strain on the cylinder pin where it is attached in the brass frame.

In both 36 and 44 I have tried conicals (conicals intended for C & B) but I've always gone back to RB as I've always found them more accurate for the shooting I do. Lots of folks use conicals in their C & B and probably with good results but I personally just prefer the RB. YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    The increased bearing surface on a standard conical bullet will almost certainly make ramming very difficult if not impossible. Also, the ogive on the bullet has to clear the cutout in the barrel to even rotate under the loading lever. I second sticking with round balls, probably no more than 30 grains of 3F BLACK. And,yes, brass frames are definitely not as durable as steel frames. And the ball diameter depends on who made the revolver. follow mfgr's instructions on diameter of ball. Dead soft if you cast your own, or purchase swaged from Hornaday, etc.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Bub
    Turns out to be a moot point--no way they'll fit in without disassembling the gun. Round balls it is!