Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer pocket swaging

Boolit Master

Primer pocket swaging

Has any one used the RCBS bench primer pocket swager? Did a search and found all the other brands and ways , however I didn't seem to find any on the bench.

Banned

You have two bench mounted choices that work well, RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Pocket Swager and the Dillon Precision Super Swage. Then the press dies, RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2 and the CH4D Priming and Swage kit,the one I finaly settled on. After doing my due diligence, I picked the CH4D Priming and Swage Kit. I think you would be happy with the RCBS Bench Mounted unit, most people seem to like them.
    Last edited by jmort; 07-20-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Boolit Master

When doing large quantities of 5.56/.223 or 7.62/.308 I use the Dillon Super Swage (https://www.dillonprecision.com/cont...uper_Swage_600) . I have had it for at least 12 years and it works great.

Since the Dillon Super Swage is not permanently mounted on my bench, I use the RCBS Primer Pocket Swage (http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Case-P...r-Combo-2.aspx) dies when only a few to a hundred primer pockets are to be swaged. I find it quicker to install in my permanently mounted RCBS Rock Chucker press compared to getting the Dillon Super Swage out of storage and installing it on the Bench. I bought my RCBS Primer Pocket Swage dies back in 1975 so with care they last; but are not as rapid to use as the Dillon - which is why I use the Dillon for larger batches of brass.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I used the RCBS primer pocket swager exclusively as it is the only one I have, for now. Works great, no problems so far. Just my .02 cents.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    I have the Dillon super swage and the RCBS press mounted swage, they both do the job well, but for large quantity I prefer the Dillon, I think it is faster.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

CH4D set in my RC. Used it on 556 and 9mm brass so far. Works great!
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

I like my Dillon - especially after mod'ing it from this video.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I like my Dillon - especially after mod'ing it from this video.
    Ya, that seems to be a catchy mod to the Dillon. I finally found a youtube for the bench top RCBS. The Dillon seems a little smoother operation. Notice the Dillon hasn't changed price in quite a while, but no discount coupons.

I have tried a bunch of different methods and the 1050 wins hands down.

Boolit Buddy
    How fussy is the dillon, or any of these for that matter on different types of brass? Right now I'm cutting all the primer pockets with a RCBS primer crimp remover on a small motor. Swaging the primer pockets does seem quicker, but will I need to sort all the brass by headstamp.
    Swaging. Keeping the 40's running for the price of .22's
    and .223 bullets for a fraction of a cent!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by anotherred View Post
    How fussy is the dillon, or any of these for that matter on different types of brass? Right now I'm cutting all the primer pockets with a RCBS primer crimp remover on a small motor. Swaging the primer pockets does seem quicker, but will I need to sort all the brass by headstamp.
    I've read a lot about doing just that. Sorting brass by head stamp for all steps in swaging and precision shooting is the way to go, by most of the people who are accuracy oriented. Each mfg. has a slightly different design spec unto it self along with case weight. The hot ticket for military brass is LC, just an observation from the threads and posts. If my observations of all pocket swagers is if it is done by head stamp you only have to make one pin adjustment.

Just a thought.

Boolit Master
    A primer pocket reamer chucked in my mini lathe is much faster than my CH4D primer pocket swage tool.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use the RCBS unit all the item with excellent success on all shells and have money left over from NOT buying the Blue Thing. Fast and accurate....for my needs anyway!

bangerjim

I have a RCBS primer pocket die set.....hate the dang thing. I jumped at a dillion primer pocket swagger when I spoted one at a gun show for $80 with the s & l rifle stems as well as the pistol stem. Have yet to use it as I don't prep brass in quantity until late fall really. But from what I've seen and heard the dillion is great.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the rcbs sets that goes in the press and its alright but it's slow. I'd just go with the dillon system if I was you

Boolit Buddy
    I use farmerjim's method.

Quote Originally Posted by jrap View Post
    I have one of the rcbs sets that goes in the press and its alright but it's slow. I'd just go with the dillon system if I was you
    Mine seems to stick and is not smooth, got tired of things getting bumped out of place all over my apartment "students" reloading bench I had specifically made for reloading. Made with heavy a heavy duty shelf underneath for lots of weight to steady things but it still bumps when the stems stick.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy

I personally do not like the Dillon. its not very accurate, even if you sort the brass. If you don't like sorting brass, you just like to load and plink, the Dillon is literally junk.
    IMO, the most accurate way is to chuck the case in my mini lathe, then chuck the hornady primer pocket crimp cutter in the tailstock chuck, then while keeping the tailstock loose from the bed of the lathe, run the whole tailstock quickly into the brass for one second. after doing this, the pocket is perfect, not to loose, not too tight. no sorting ever.

Boolit Buddy
    the rcbs is a pain to use . I been using the Dillon and just got the new one from hornady for their lnl. I like the hornady and it is fast.

In Remembrance

I have several ways to swage primer pockets.

My favorite way is to use Dillons Super Swage 600.

However, I also found an old Herter's die set. SEIA is the set number. Herters Primer Pocket Swage Tool. It came with a T slot primer swage insert to fit 30 caliber Shell Holder (30-06, 308 Win, etc), and then a screw into your press upper part with a pusher rod inside. You place the brass over the pusher rod, and lift the ram to swage the primer pocket. It came with T shot inserts for both small and large primer pockets.

Old thread on this subject is here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l=1#post324724

I prefer the "push the material back where it came from" method of dealing with crimped primer pockets, vs the "shave the material away" method.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast