RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Where to start? I know nothing about air guns, pistols

Where to start? I know nothing about air guns, pistols

Were to start learning about airguns different websites etc. I want to get a hand/spring operated pistol for back yard plinking then at some point a rifle. Right now the only spring pistol in my price range seems to be one that looks like a browning buckmark. Another question are suppressors legal on airguns scene they are not firearms? It seems like a lot of newer rifles have what appear to be silencers built into them.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

The gun laws still apply to air guns that apply to powder driven guns. These are still fire arms and the law will treat them as such in most cases. Do check laws in your area to be sure. Most places are this way.

Boolit Master
    On airguns they are called muzzle brakes. If they were all illegal by BATF regulations then they could not be part of the original airgun and sold without the required paperwork and $200 tax stamp. In most areas airguns are not considered firearms. In some countries such as in the UK airguns are limited to a max. of 6 FPE for hand guns and 12 FPE for rifles unless one has a special permit.

There are however some areas even in the USA where airguns can not be legally fired and the same even applies to flips / sling shots and perhaps even hand throwing of rocks.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    minmax...RU in El Paso? If so, I would let you try a few different rifles and a CCS 2300S pistol that I have.

I have a variety of pump up and spring powered airguns.

Easy place to start is the Crossman 1322 (.22 cal) or 1317 ( .177 cal)
    I bought a pair of 1322's a bit over a year ago, I got mine as a shooters kit, included some ammo, safety glasses, pellet pouch, and a shoulder stock that installs with just a pair of screws.

I HIGHLY recomend buying this with the shoulder stock.
    As to shooting I shoot mine in my basement in the winter.

I took an old metal 2 drawer file cabinet, reinforced the back wall with a piece of plywood. Then hung ordinary bath towels like a curtain so that I had a total of 8 layers of doubled cotton towel. Inside this I hung a pellet gun resetting target. 4 2" targets on the bottom and a 5th that when hit drops the 4 below back down.

My main airgun is and has been a mid 70's Sheridan Blue streak. 2 pumps from either it or the crossman 1322's will ring that steel nicely, 3 will flip it up. For inside or around the house I have seldom needed more than 3 pumps to shoot accurately.

They don't make the Sheridan's anymore, Benjamin has bought out both Crossman and Sheridan, and the new quality is not what the old guns were.

But even that little 1322 with a red dot on it can put 5 shots into a single hole at 20 feet. Cover it with a dime and get change back.

All depends on what you are interested in, how much your willing to spend to scratch that itch.

BTW you can still get that shooters kit for 70$ here http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-1...tol-black.html

In my opinion it is hard to beat for the price. As to Caliber, well I favor the 5mm myself, which is halfway between the .177 and the .22. But if I was thinking of shooting pests in the yard bigger is better in my opinion. Airgunners will still be debating the fine points of size vs speed when the last trump sounds. Suit yourself, but start shooting, see how you like it. And start accumulating cash.
    Air gunners can spend money like no ones business.

Thanks all for the recommendations.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Master

Airgun Nation has folks with higher end and more pedestrian Air Arms.

NOT a spring gun but the Crosman 1322 or 1377 may well fit your bill. 3 to 10 pumps will power a pellet for paper punching to light duty hunting.
    Reasonable price on the net or at many of the big box stores.

From what I have seen many times the trigger falls short on many of the lower priced springers.

I have a Winchester 1028 and it has the worst trigger of any gun I have ever fired. The rifle is precise/accurate but come winter that trigger and I are going into the shop for a discussion.

MANY different airguns featured on youtube so one can get a feel for what is out there.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    There's tons of info here to start
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/
    Also crosman forums has many good links to great info.

Ditto on Pyramyd Air! They have just about everything worth having in stock and their catalogs are a great learning resource. They are also the best place to buy pellets I have found as they have nearly everything there is available.

Ghosthawk! Great Idea on the converted File Cabinet!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

It is easier now that I have joined a local club that has indoor pistol 50 foot and indoor rifle 100m ranges. Before that the file cabinet was the only way to keep my shooting eye sharp till spring. I find shooting one of those skills that evaporates if you don't do it regularly.