Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gunshow 22LR ammo

Gunshow 22LR ammo

Well, bit the boolit and bought 1 brick (500) of Aguila 40 grn subsonic at the gunshow today and it cost $47+tax 'cuz it was a local company - irks me but I need to replace what I done shot up.

Was cheaper than the $60 price at another table
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I have actually been seeing price for .22lr slip a little this month. For over a year the best gunbot price for .22lr was 9 cents ea. Lately I have seen 8 and even 7 cents. I don't believe it will ever totally drop back to prices we used to see. But I would not be surpised to see 6 cents a round this year yet. I don't think it will drop much below that, simply too much demand.

I have been told by a Cabella's employee, that it is almost always on the shelf now. I don't know if its the bulk 22 but in the Louisville area, it was about a nickel to .06 for bulk. I am down to my last 1500 rounds so I will probably shoot the old stuff before I replenish. This sure lasted a long time and its about time the craziness subsided!

Boolit Master

stoped in a gun store in greeley the other day and was surprised to find a huge pile of 22lr. crates, bricks, and individual. must have been several hundred thousand rounds sitting there. asked the price---90 bucks a brick of 500. its still sitting in their store.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    stoped in a gun store in greeley the other day and was surprised to find a huge pile of 22lr. crates, bricks, and individual. must have been several hundred thousand rounds sitting there. asked the price---90 bucks a brick of 500. its still sitting in their store.
    Wow, I thought my LGS was a little bit gouge-y at $45/500. I've been pretty fortunate to land a fair amount online at no more than 6-7 cents each. I have two kids who are going to be hitting their shooting years at some point soon and while I didn't expect it to continue that long, I'd hate to find out 22LR was a thing of the past right when they are looking to shoot piles of it.

Boolit Grand Master

I've bought over 8,000 rounds in the last year, all at brick and mortar stores and haven't paid over 6 cents a round. Federal Champion, Winchester M-22 and CCI SV.

Yeah, .22 isn't as easy to come by as it used to be, but it is still out there.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

At my gunshows its $75 a brick.

In Remembrance

There`s a "bucket-of-bullets" on an online auction near me right now at $126, there also is 2 bricks of Blazer ammo going for $96. The auction ends tomorrow night.Robert

Boolit Master

I just bought a 500 round brick of CCI standard velocity 22 LR from my dealer for $40.00. He said his cost was $36.75 a brick. Haven't seen any SV ammo for sale in a couple years. He also had CCI 22 short in 100 round boxes @ $12, but didn't say what his cost was for those. Seems like the manufacturers are hosing the buyers as much as some retailers.

Boolit Buddy
    People are going to charge what they can get, if you are willing to overpay for something then you are causing your own problem and have nothing to complain about. .22's are still expensive because they are (relatively) cheap and buyers can afford to continue this foolishness. If .22 buyers would just STOP paying insane prices then the going rate would drop just as fast as everything else (AR's, magazines, centerfire ammo, silver) did.

Most of the people burning up .22's could do just as well with airguns for $5-10 per 500 shots.

The lowest price at Camp Perry for CCI standard velocity was $42.80 which included tax. One of the club members bought a case and was selling them to members for what he paid for them.

Boolit Grand Master

I truly believe that 22lr will someday come back down to something reasonable but I also know that if ammo continues to sell for silly prices we will continue to see silly prices.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    I just bought a 500 round brick of CCI standard velocity 22 LR from my dealer for $40.00. He said his cost was $36.75 a brick. Haven't seen any SV ammo for sale in a couple years. He also had CCI 22 short in 100 round boxes @ $12, but didn't say what his cost was for those. Seems like the manufacturers are hosing the buyers as much as some retailers.
    Seems to about be the going price. I have been picking up some of the CCI standard velocity stuff if they get it in. Never see it in bricks, a little under $5 for a box of 50, they had the larger plastic boxed 100 packs for around $8.95 at one time. Anything other than cheap bulk was always a little bit more. I can walk in and buy 100rd bags of various brands of bulk stuff for about $5. Teh standard velocity stuff is a bit more premium so costs more.

But I know some places are still trying to charge stupid amounts of money for 22. I don't them selling any of it, nor the overpriced stuff at gunshows. Seems like their losing money as it has to be moved and stored alot, with 0% profit. More reasonable price the might actually sell some it.

Boolit Buddy

Years ago, I made a habit of buying a brick every so often @ $10....that was awhile back, of course, when $10 was alot more money that it is today. Since my primary .22 is a Remington 510 single shot, I still have a fairly good supply of the stockpile I put together.

Later on, I found a guy that had inherited, among other things, a gob of .22 ammo from his dad's estate. He "just want[ed] to get rid of it" so I picked that up for about .015 per round. I think I have a supply of something like 12k or close. I'm thinking this should get me to the grave as long as I don't use the 10-22 with high capacity magazines.

It is unfortunate that after the "shortage", the market still is commanding ridiculous prices for this stuff. Think I saw a 25lb bag of #7-1/2 shot for $60 (?) at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day. Crazy....

I have been ordering it at Cabellas the last few weeks as it ships to store free. Can only order a box at a time but I waited to pick them up until all were there waiting on me. @ 6-7˘ ea. for Federal match. Anything higher I leave on the shelves and try hold off at 6˘.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Arms View Post
    People are going to charge what they can get, if you are willing to overpay for something then you are causing your own problem and have nothing to complain about. .22's are still expensive because they are (relatively) cheap and buyers can afford to continue this foolishness. If .22 buyers would just STOP paying insane prices then the going rate would drop just as fast as everything else (AR's, magazines, centerfire ammo, silver) did.

Most of the people burning up .22's could do just as well with airguns for $5-10 per 500 shots.
    Bingo

I can't tell you the last time I bought some. And during the warmer months we usually shoot a brick a week. I refuse to pay the current rate. I'm not that foolish because I don't "need" it at the moment. My stock has been severely depleted. But like all things AR I foresee the prices going back to what they used to be. When that happens I will buy case lots like I always do. In the mean time I have a bunch of rifles in 223/5.56 and handguns that can be loaded down to 22lr levels.

Boolit Buddy
    Have been to 4 or so gun shows in my area over the last few months. Dealers there have a fair amount of various 22 ammo to sell and I always take a glance at the prices and keep on walking. Haven't shot any of my semi-auto 22 rifles at range for quite awhile now. Have a few single shot 22 rifles I occasionally take to range to enjoy shooting, but limit number of rounds I shoot with them.

Boolit Master

I'll bet most gun shops don't buy from the factory but from a distributor, and I'll bet they are the guys keeping the prices high, not the factory.

Boolit Grand Master

When it becomes more common, on more shelves, the hysterical buying will cease, at exorbitant prices. This will lower the average price, barring another scare or gov intervention.
    When gougers can't sell at huge profits, they will stop buying.
    It's called supply and demand, period.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

In Remembrance

And people laughed at me for buying so many bricks and trays of .22 ammo 20 years back!Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast