RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DPMS AR .308 information sought

Banned
    Just got an email saying my 308 upper & lower arrived so I can start my new 308 AR build. Picking it up tomorrow. NOW what am I going to build, hmmmm??

I found 7.62x51 ZQ ammo at wally world ($9.99/20) and going to East Texas this weekend. Will start breaking in the barrel and zeroing in the scope. There may be a hog or two Saturday night to plink at. Everything else is off limits on this property.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Mold

NOE is offering a ranchdog design that he worked up for the 308.TLC310-180-RF RG GC Brass (RD). I just got mine in but have not cast any yet. Just checked and did not see any available now. Check out the RD Forum at NOE to see why he designed it this way

Boolit Buddy
    i have the very same rifle, i shoot mil m80 rounds in it and get 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 100 yds. Rem 150 corelocks give me 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds.....i use the 150 corelocks to hunt with and they kill great....go to wikiarms.com and you can find all the available ammo for a 308 for sale nationally....JimP.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    168 Amax for break-in. FTX for hunting, if you choose to do so. I use 31-165C in both my DPMS 308 uppers. ESPC. ~2400 carbine - 2600 rifle. No problem clogging the gas system. Pick a midrange jacketed load to start. As to reloads, make sure you USE the case gauge and set the sizer correctly. Do NOT try to jam the lands. I size to 310 for cast. Use white lith. grease on the BCG + a good gun oil to start. I've used H335 to LeverE burn rate with good results, H4895 is my favorite for cast, so far. Is yours the genII rifle? Mine is genI and I didn't shoot much jacketed before I started using cast. I did try some rem 150 SPP and they got bent noses.
    Mine is a DPMS LR-308 Sportical .308 Win. Semiautomatic Carbine, slick side with no forward assist. It does not state if it's Gen.1 or II. I can change uppers down the road if I care to pursue it. I would like a longer bull barrel. I have installed a bipod and scope, and that's all so far.

Currently, my only 30 cal. molds are the Lee .309-160TL and Lyman 314299 (which I believe to be too heavy and long). I have looked at NOE's molds but just don't have the extra cash at the moment.

I would like to try the LEE mold (PC'ed) but may have issues ejecting casings. My choice of "at hand" powders at this time are Unique, Accurate 5744, and IMR 4895. From past reads, others are using jacketed powder charge tables as opposed to #2 cast tables in order to eject casings, and that kind of scares me. If I can find a cast boolit and charge within #2 charts that will cycle, I would feel more comfortable. I'm using Unique in my Tikka .308 (LEE mold) and M/N (Lyman Mold) with good reports, not MOA but within 4"-5" @ 100 with ACWW.

This weapon is to be used for hog hunting and plinking up to 100 yards, not anything else.The particular feeder where hogs come are only 68 yards from the picnic table at the front porch. The gong is only 87 yards away. This is at my friends property and his wife nixes hunting all animals except hogs. Hopefully, she will come around to allowing coyotes to be hunted also. I would skin those.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 08-14-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I think that the 314299 is fine for the 308 win. You might find that the nose needs to be sized to .299 to feed reliably. I use IMR 4895 powder in my AR10.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12