WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE Gas Check Expander

Boolit Master

LEE Gas Check Expander

Used my new LEE GC expander today. It only works on 30cal that I know of. I have one mould with a slightly oversize GC shank making it difficult to install checks. I looked around at all the stuff I have accumulated and came up with the following. I used a LEE universal case flaring die with the large expander on the bottom and small one on top. I then used the push pin from a LEE 30cal boolit sizer perching a GC on top. Running it up in my press the tapered tip of the large universal expander die expanded the check to a perfect slip on size and not a one stuck on the expander. It didn't take long at all to expand a hundred checks.

I'll have to try this. I also have a couple of moulds with oversized shanks.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm just curious here, are the moulds of the Lyman or Ideal brand ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    NOE mould

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Glad you got a way to get 'er done.

Have you got one of these? It might help as well and works with all calibers. It puts a little chamfer on the base.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=28
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

What a great idea! I wonder if you could grind the tapered expander shank to do other sized gas checks?

I work so hard to prevent rounded bases, I would never want to chamfer them.

NOE is the only ones I have trouble with, too. Maybe to sell base chamfer tools?

Boolit Master
    Maybe The tip is what makes it right for 30cal. If you grind off the tip of either one it might work for other calibers. I like it 'cause it didn't cost me any new money. I don't use the expanders anyway. I use NOE M type expanders in the universal die.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you make your checks? If so what check maker die do you use?

Boolit Buddy
    Find a drill bit with a shank .001 -.002 larger that the shank size of the bullet. Put the bit in a drill press and chuck it upside down. Do not turn on the motor. Simply put the check on the end of the drill shank and lower and press it against the press base. I use an adjustable (crescent) wrench closed loosely over the drill and slide tap the check off the bit. Works great.
    Jeff

In Remembrance

Once I got a partial box of Hornady .44 GC for a real good price. Turns out the checks were odd to the point of not working on a GC boolet. One day out in my barn I came on some ball bearings of from 3/8 up to 3/4". I took some to my loading area and tried placing different sized bearings on the GC then tapping the bearing with a plastic mallet. VIOLA! The checks opened up enough to work on shanked boolets!Robert

Boolit Master
    I started out tapping the expander with a hammer but it was hard to hold onto. Moved on to the push through sizer pin and was much easier/faster. I'm sure there are better ways to expand GCs if you had to do alot but I don't have to do too many. Only one mould has too large of a shank. The drill bit sounds easy and cheap. I have a drill press.

Boolit Master
    I have not heard of the Lee gas check expander. Can someone post a link to one or picture of it so I can see what it is, or where I can find one.

Boolit Master
    It's just a nickname because I used all LEE stuff I already had. Read the first post carefully. Good Luck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    It's just a nickname because I used all LEE stuff I already had. Read the first post carefully. Good Luck
    Ahh, got it lol. Clever idea I will have to give it a try for my homemade aluminum checks that can be hard to seat. Or, if I can find a drill bit the right size I may give that method a try.

The 30 xcb is the only NOE that I've had a problem with. I use my 6.5 push thru and the Lyman nose punch with a dab of grease to hold it in the sit my boolit and check on my 432 push thru ram and push the check on the shaft.

Boolit Master
    You have to be careful forcing GCs on. I was doing that and shaving a little lead off of the shank and jamming it into the small gap between the check and the first driving band. I don't know if that really caused a problem but I didn't like it.

I'm not having a problem with it but I'm using a hard alloy. WW/ MONO/ CU I could see your point with a softer alloy but not a problem for me.

Boolit Master
    After starting a GC I still use the GC seater on my Lyman 450 to make sure the check is seated. Before expanding the check I couldn't even start the check.

Boolit Master
    45 cal Hornady checks were not going on my Noe 460-350-RF so I tried the drill bit trick ,worked great/ and these were cast at BHN8 !
    And just finished checking 310/165gFn (30xcb)Noe @ BHN12 with no problem (just snapped on )great . Not fitting could have something to do with your alloy mix !

I've got 10 or so of NOE's 30's and 2 of them are the xcb , both are the same way, All the rest are normal, but my alloy is definitely adding to it's size.

That reminds me I've got a 2cav. Xcb to sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast