Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Precision rifle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    In my own 18 - 20" barreled .308Ws over the years I've come to use the Hornady 150 SP or 150 SPBTs for deer and lighter skinned game. With a muzzle velocity of 2570 - 2650 they are very accurate and expand well to 350 - 400 yards yet hold together in deer at 25+ yards. I found the Nosler BTs didn't hold together very well on the closer range shots though they are an excellent choice if closer shots aren't expected.

Larry Gibson
    Yes,I agree the Hornadys are good bullets. One of my friends uses the Nosler Accubonds.I have not tried those.
    The only bullets I have had fail were Sierra. They are great target bullets, but not good for hunting in my experience.

Boolit Master
    This may prove to be the most profitable, best thought-out, rifle from Ruger in recent history... and that's coming from a big fan of the M77 Hawkeye compact rifles.
    There's a big market for the black rifles nowadays, and Ruger might just deliver a real bargain for the people that are interested in them... That's something Ruger's actually been pretty successful at for a long time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    .2" groups? Mother of Pearle. I'd about give up my left . . . . YEAH to see THAT on a regular basis in a .30 rifle.
    Well why not? I can probably build you one for less than $2000. $3500 and I can guarantee it with example targets and load data. It really isn't that hard if you start with a good barrel and screw good parts on behind it.

Like the GSR, Ruger is giving a lot for the money with this rifle. Who cares if it shoots worth beens or not? Buy it and spend another $600 on a barrel and some gentle nudges in the right direction and you have a true precision rifle for less than $2000.
    I say good on Ruger!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

Dang,, I actually agree with Larry about the Hornady Interlock bullets.

IF I use sensible muzzle velocity's and keep their striking velocity within a reasonable range they will expand and penetrate just like the pictures in the book. [at least that's what the wound channels tell me]

Tim is spot on with his assessment of the rifle too.
    I'm really thinking about one in 6.5 creed more as a long range varmint rig.
    if I shoot the barrel out [or it doesn't shoot that well] I have about 200 cartridge options and a solid platform to work with.
    I'd still be about the price of a comparable rifle after a re-barrel.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Two of my most accurate (non fancy target) rifles, a wood/blue M77Mk2 in 300WM and a Ruger American Compact in 223!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    That has got to be the ugliest rifle ever made, is my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    That has got to be the ugliest rifle ever made, is my opinion
    No, that would be this thing:
    http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...e-Lever-Action

What's worse
    number 1

Which is voluntary choice of parts
    or
    number 2

Which is INVOLUNTARY parts forced by New York State law makers...
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

The Swiss Vetterli series is also visually challenged. http://www.swissrifles.com/vetterli/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 69SwisVet07.jpg  
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess some have never seen the boat paddle stocks Ruger used to use. And to think that now they're coveted by collectors.

Boolit Grand Master

One more that is hard on the eyes http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...eadcrumbseries=

Boolit Master

You dang kids with your self-contained cartridges, percussion caps, and flintlocks! Everybody knows the only gonne worth having is a matchlock!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I guess some have never seen the boat paddle stocks Ruger used to use. And to think that now they're coveted by collectors.

that's not bad in my eyes
    I mean Ruger's rifle

isn't that dissimilar to other's in the same class
    Savage's offering

Remington's

Colt's 2012 Tactical Rifle

Desert Tactical

Accuracy International

And like the HK G3 or FN FAL - The Beauty is in the function
    Last edited by Artful; 07-26-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    What's worse
    number 1

Which is voluntary choice of parts
    or
    number 2

Which is INVOLUNTARY parts forced by New York State law makers...
    I like #2 cause it crams it down their throats.
    no matter what it looks like it's still an EBR.
    I don't know how I'd shoot it though as there ain't no way to reach the trigger.
    but I'd buy a box load of them if I lived somewhere that mandated I have one like that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    In my own 18 - 20" barreled .308Ws over the years I've come to use the Hornady 150 SP or 150 SPBTs for deer and lighter skinned game. With a muzzle velocity of 2570 - 2650 they are very accurate and expand well to 350 - 400 yards yet hold together in deer at 25+ yards. I found the Nosler BTs didn't hold together very well on the closer range shots though they are an excellent choice if closer shots aren't expected.

Larry Gibson
    I have found the Nosler 150 grain BT to very accurate from my Ruger GS but you are correct they destroy meat on Whitetail. I really like that Ruger is stepping outside the box some they are in business to be in business so whatever the motivation I like the fact they are thinking outside normal constraints of The old Ruger firearms. Heck they will keep thier identity and they will continue to sell and move thier core line of products. ai do wish they would put just a little more effort into the Number 1s though and continue with the limited production offerings once per year.

Boolit Master
    I use the Nosler BT mainly for shots 200+ yds. I have had great luck with them in a .270 win for dead right there kills.
    My longest shot has been about 400 yds with that rifle.
    Yeah they can mess up some meat, but not meat I was going to use .
    I shot a big Boar Hog with that bullet .The Hog was only 100yds away .He ran about 65 yds and dropped. I found nothing but the base of the bullet on the far side of the hide. It blew on entrance. I wasn't really hog hunting or I would have taken a different rifle.
    I shot an antelope with the same gun at about 250 yds. He went down so fast I thought I had missed. The locals I gave the meat to complained. They said you could fill the bullet hole with water and stock it with fish. It really did make a mess of that animal.
    Last edited by Clay M; 07-27-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

As I stated earlier I know five people that have ordered these. The first one came in. First the negatives. Even at 2 1/4 pounds the trigger has a little creep and the butt plate does not adjust up and down. After that it is all good. Actually for an under a $1,000 chassis rifle it is great. The magazine system is a stroke of genius. Accuracy testing should be later this week. If it shoots as claimed this gives the High Power, Long Range and F-Class shooters very inexpensive but fully competitive option.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    As I stated earlier I know five people that have ordered these. The first one came in. First the negatives. Even at 2 1/4 pounds the trigger has a little creep and the butt plate does not adjust up and down. After that it is all good.
    So just need to find the right aftermarket adjustable butt plate
    http://www.morganrecoilpad.com/14-pr...ed-recoil-pad#

or
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bisley-Adj...3D170570010943

And wait for either a smith to figure out the tweeks or Timney to come up with replacement trigger...

Hey, can you get him to measure the distance between the screws that hold on the recoil pad?
    Last edited by Artful; 07-28-2015 at 12:47 AM.
    je suis charlie

These will sell like hotcakes regardless of whether the barrels are good. At that price point, a replacement barrel is cheap enough. Frankly, many people will buy them fully intending to replace the barrel before even using it. Ruger was smart enough to make the barrels easily replaceable. This rifle is going to be a huge success for Ruger. That is my prediction.

Boolit Master
    I believe the barrels are good.
    I have a Ruger #1 in .204 Ruger that will shoot 1/2 MOA somedays, but it is a quirky #1

I also have a newer Ruger Hawkeye International in .308 win.

It will shoot about 3/4 MOA for three fast shots .The barrel being hot.

If the test of the Ruger Precision Rifle for the American Rifleman in 6.5 Creedmoor will shoot around 1/2 MOA with factory ammo, then the barrels are good.

I wouldn't say they are like a Krieger barrel ,but for a production rifle ,they are very good barrels.

I would not hesitate to buy one if it were what I wanted.
    Last edited by Clay M; 07-30-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast