Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Precision rifle

Boolit Grand Master

I'd buy one if they put a 26" barrel in .308W with a 12 or preferably 13" twist. A 20" barrel is a tacticool waste in my opinion. Looks like the barrels may be of better quality; "hammer forged with 5R rifling".

Larry Gibson

http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...n-rifle-6-5-cm

Barrels can be easily replaced by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges

The Ruger Precision Rifle's 4140 Chrome Moly barrel is a cold hammer forged, 5R rifled optimized with minimum bore and groove dimensions, minimum headspaced and a centralized chamber. Minimum spec headspace and chambers are always good as they minimize pressure dampening as factory brass expands to fill the chamber and case stretch as the cartridge case stretches to fill the headspace gap. For handloaders, minimal stretch extends brass life by minimizing cold resizing.

The barrel is medium contour, 3/4" at the muzzle and 5/8"x24 threaded and capped which opens the door to hanging all sorts of things on the end of the barrel; brakes, flash hiders, suppressors. The 5R type rifling offers a number of benefits. Some stated result end up in food fights, so I will stick with those generally receiving concurrence. The sides of the lands are sloped rather than cut perpendicular to the grooves and lands are positioned across from grooves so there are never two opposing lands. The results are reduced bore wear, reduced bore fouling and greater accuracy resulting from reduced bullet and bullet jacket deformation.

A handguard nut screws onto the barrel nut to provide a mounting point for the rifle's floating handguard. The handguard is a 6061 T6 aluminum, Type III anodized piece made by Samson Manufacturing as their Keymod Evolution Series 15. It attaches to the Precision Rifle's handguard nut with splined thermal bushings.

The position of the barrel nut, the handguard nut, the split thermal bushings and the handguard are all timed to one another affecting a very secure fit for the floating handguard.
    http://www.turners.com/ruger/ruger-p...08-win--432030
    $999.98

http://www.hhshootingsports.com/WireShots/archives/9917
    Last edited by Artful; 07-19-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

With the barrel nut you will be able to order fully chambered barrels just like the Savage Rifles so anyone with a wrench and a headspace gauge can change barrels.

It won't be long before aftermarket two stage triggers will be available.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-19-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Yeah, I'm thinking they should make up a package deal w/ 243, 6.5, and 308 as one or at least offer factory barrels as I'd use 243 and 308. Assuming it's going to be available at LGS in Phoenix fairly soon - I sure didn't see one at the gun show this last weekend.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

my experience with rugers shows that to be a pretty big IF
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That style with all those gadgets is the "state of the art" for tacticool rifles, F Class rifles and match rifle shooting these days. As mentioned if Ruger puts a barrel on them capable of 1/2 moa they won't keep them in stock at that price.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Looks like a barrel could be made up quite easily as the machining isn't too complex. Gotta go and find my kneepads and ask SWMBO if there is room in the budget for a new toy!

Boolit Grand Master

Three of the past four new Rugers I bought had to go back for final finishing. Their quality control as of late is horrible in my opinion. I'd be leery about the quality control on a rifle such as this.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Attachment 144985

This guy ^ will buy one! But not me......

Attachment 144986
    More my speed^
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I have not decided if I am going to order one. Most likely I will but either way I will get some hands on with these. So far I am aware of five that have been ordered by shooters I do work for. Three are NRA High Power long range competitors and two are prairie dog hunters. Four are going with 243 and one in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

It will be interesting to see when the 223/300BO and the Magnum version will be introduced.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Outpost75 nice Mauser M77. Not so much on the top pic! You sure that is not a woman?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-20-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I'd buy one if they put a 26" barrel in .308W with a 12 or preferably 13" twist. A 20" barrel is a tacticool waste in my opinion. Looks like the barrels may be of better quality; "hammer forged with 5R rifling".

Larry Gibson
    In most cases a barrel over 20 inches in 308 isn't necessary. They have proven that all the powder burns in the 20 inches of barrel so there is no velocity gain. They also use the 10 twist because it is meant to shoot 168-208 grain match bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

To stay supersonic with a 20" barrel at a 1,000 yards you have to push the 308 fairly hard and you flat can't do it with some bullets. The 26" to 30" pipes don't have the same issues.

With the old 155 SMK (2155) and the current 155 Amax I need 2950 plus fps to stay supersonic at a 1,000 yards. The new 155 Scenar and 155 SMK (2156) only need only just above 2800 fps to stay supersconic at a 1,000 yards.

Good info about how the transonic region effect bullets. http://thearmsguide.com/5348/long-ra...nsonic-region/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-20-2015 at 08:24 PM.

When Townsend Whelen made his famous quote about accurate rifles they only made handsome rifles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by odis View Post
    When Townsend Whelen made his famous quote about accurate rifles they only made handsome rifles.

As opposed to the ugly ones made today!

Boolit Grand Master

I t is intersting concept and should sell if just as a budget beginners Accross the coarse rifle. or long range rifle. A full blown match AR, M14 or others are 2-5 times the cost making it hard for new shoopters to get started. For beginner getting his first taste of formal matches this rifle can grow with Him or her. All the basics are there. After first year a new trigger installed, then when ready a better barrel installed. The big extra cost starting is going to be sights and mounts for them getting started. I find this rifle interesting in that back when bolt actions were still popular for NRA Match rifles I contacted ruger to get information to build one on a 77 ruger I had. I was polietly told there wasnt enough buisness there for them to bother. Now they appear to be catering to it.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if for Police rifles of the sniper persuasion they may be a good fit for tight budgets?

Boolit Master
    Something I heard a long time ago, 'A young man will never buy an old man's car, but an old man will buy a young man's car'. The market is for black long guns and plastic auto handguns. Younger shooters seem to have a market share that Ruger is going after, hopefully successfully.

Boolit Master

My middle son is interested in this rifle, he has had one in his hands to fondle. He liked it. His first handgun was a 1911 (my influence on him) but he did just buy a Glock 32 yesterday... Young Marines...

I didn't see that these would work with Magpul pmags when I looked previously. That's a nice little bonus. If this thing is as accurate as they claim, It's going to be very difficult to convince myself not to buy one!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast