Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Precision rifle

Boolit Buddy
    It's a nice rifle but I'd still take a 700 over it. With or without a chassis

Boolit Master
    I would like to have another Rem 40XB or Winchester 52D in .22LR.Those were the guns I trained on growing up.

I have a very nice Win Mod 70 target rifle in .308win. It will shoot as good as I can.

Boolit Grand Master

Price is right fellers. There's a LGS here running a sale this weekend. You can have your choice of the 308 or the 6.5 Cree for $999
    I need another rifle like I need a speeding ticket, but that right there is tempting!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

This rifle is going to create problems for the game wardens here. Semis are illegal for hunting use. I'd expect anyone using one of these in the field to be stopped and questioned by the wardens. There will be people using them because it's an easy transition if you shoot ARs all the time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This rifle is going to create problems for the game wardens here. Semis are illegal for hunting use. I'd expect anyone using one of these in the field to be stopped and questioned by the wardens. There will be people using them because it's an easy transition if you shoot ARs all the time.
    If a game warden can not tell the difference between a bolt and a semi they should stay in the office all day.

Have any of you left handed shooters tried holding or shooting one of these rifles? I wonder how the adjustable stock fits for a lefty.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    If a game warden can not tell the difference between a bolt and a semi they should stay in the office all day.
    So at 100+ yards you'd be able to tell the difference between this rifle and a standard AR? Of course they can tell when inspecting the rifle. This is going to cause some issues here is all I was saying. W/ next to no bolt action ARs currently being used in the field a factory offering like this is going to open the door for them. Won't be an issue in most places but I already see the confrontations coming.

Boolit Grand Master

PA is the only state that I am aware of that doesn't allow semi-autos rifles for hunting. How much of a problem was it for the wardens with the Remington pumps verse the Remingtion autos?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-31-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

New Ruger Precision rifle

Semis are allowed for shotguns. This is a problem that exists in PA but it will effect me personally.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 07-31-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've thought for years about putting together a "heavier" LR rig. Usually thinking about a Manners T4A with the Minis Chassis some kind of 700 footprinted action in it.

Then this Ruger came along for a third or less of the price.

I'll own one eventually. Probably a .243, at least in the beginning. It'll take awhile for me to save the scratch for the rifle and scope (thinking Burris XTR), but that'll just give me time to see what the aftermarket does in terms of barrels and triggers.

Probably shouldn't say it here, but it'll prolly never see a cast boolit.

There's about a 17 page thread on these over on Snipershide with plenty of range testing. Looks like they hammer pretty well.

I'll agree it's not for everybody. It's not nearly as pretty as my two #1's. Though I don't think it's any uglier than some of the current production model #1's with pine (looking) stocks and a "parkerized" looking blue I've seen lately.
    That's the great thing about guns. It's all pretty subjective. I can own pretty walnut and blue guns, and ugly adjustable plastic guns and like them both. Though I never did understand a big gawking sticker on the side of a walnut stock.

As far as a game warden not recognizing it for a bolt rifle, as I say more and more, 'thank God I live in Tennessee". No silly semi auto gun laws and most of our Game Wardens actually knew a semi auto from a bolt gun before they became a Game Warden. Lots of them will wind up owning one of the new Rugers, so recognition at distance shouldn't be an issue.

Boolit Master
    So at 100+ yards you'd be able to tell the difference between this rifle and a standard AR? Of course they can tell when inspecting the rifle. This is going to cause some issues here is all I was saying. W/ next to no bolt action ARs currently being used in the field a factory offering like this is going to open the door for them. Won't be an issue in most places but I already see the confrontations coming.
    Who cares if they can't tell at 100 + yards? They can get out their spy scope or get off there *** and walk over to where you are and look at the rifle. Why would anyone be paranoid that a game warden wants to check out their rifle to see if it is a semi or bolt?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Who cares if they can't tell at 100 + yards? They can get out their spy scope or get off there *** and walk over to where you are and look at the rifle. Why would anyone be paranoid that a game warden wants to check out their rifle to see if it is a semi or bolt?
    Come hunt here and then tell me the same thing. I love when people comment that are out of area. A good portion of the wardens here are pricks. We try to avoid an interaction at all costs. I have nothing to hide so it's not like I will be fined. But they have ruined a few hunts for myself as well as friends and family. They don't care about remaining silent when walking to where you're at.

I guess I shouldn't have brought it up because this doesn't effect most of you. But for people hunting in PA it poses a potential problem for at least a year or so. Not all wardens keep up on what's new in the firearms world. And as the laws are written here there is a good chance you will be stopped if you have an AR slung over your shoulder when hunting. Even though there have been manually operated upper receivers available for some time now.

Boolit Master
    Come hunt here and then tell me the same thing. I love when people comment that are out of area.
    I was born and raised in PA so I hunted there for many years. Still have family there that hunts also.
    So, I have hunted there and can tell you the same thing.
    East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    PA is the only state that I am aware of that doesn't allow semi-autos rifles for hunting. How much of a problem was it for the wardens with the Remington pumps verse the Remingtion autos?
    Semis are allowed for shotguns. This is a problem that exists in PA but it will effect me personally.
    He didn't say shotguns...

750 auto

Pumps

Come hunt here and then tell me the same thing. I love when people comment that are out of area. A good portion of the wardens here are pricks. We try to avoid an interaction at all costs. I have nothing to hide so it's not like I will be fined. But they have ruined a few hunts for myself as well as friends and family. They don't care about remaining silent when walking to where you're at.
    And whose fault is this? - get name's / badge numbers - call complain to those in personnel dept about the customer service you are receiving - they are your employee's - yes they enforce the laws but how they do so is up to their supervisors and the legislator - talk to them to correct bad behavior.
    Last edited by Artful; 07-31-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I need something new and never owned a 6.5 Creedmoor so contacted my dealer and he will put my name on one when he gets some more in a week or two (if I am lucky). Normally I do not buy right hand weapons as I am a lefty but with all the adjustments in the stock it might be a good fit.
    Besides. shooting a rifle off the bench or on a monopod sometimes is easier using a bolt on the same side as the cheek weld.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    A 1 in 10" twist for the .308W.....shame. A 1 in 12" twist would have been much better for use cast bullet shooters.

Larry Gibson
    Everyone seems to have a hard on for heavy jacketed bullets these days. Hard to get a 223 that doesn't have a 1 in 8" twist.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Everyone seems to have a hard on for heavy jacketed bullets these days. Hard to get a 223 that doesn't have a 1 in 8" twist.
    The .223 will perform best at 1000 yds with about an 80 gr bullet.
    The 1in 8" should be about right.
    So I guess it depends on what someone wants to do with their .223.
    If I had a serious target rifle built for the caliber it would probably have the 1in 8" twist.

I have notice a lot of people here test their cast bullet loads at 50yds.
    I am not sure why they do that .Most bullets don't really stabilize well until you get to 100 + yds. After I sight in, I test all my cast bullet rifle loads at 100 and 200 yds.If they will not shoot well at 100yds then I work more on load.
    development.
    I test all my magnum handgun loads at 100 yds as well.

A good many rifles will shoot well at 100 yds. Check them at 200 or 300 then you will know you have.
    My best .308 target rifle will hit golf balls consistently at 300yds.With match grade bullets of course.
    Last edited by Clay M; 08-01-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have more guns now then I need, but i guess i can make room for one more. i am thinking 6.5 or 243

Boolit Buddy

Because it simply works better.

Boolit Grand Master

The stupidity is most of those are on short barreled M4 wannabes. 99.9999999% of the time elcheapo blasting M193 ammo with 55 gr bullets is used in them...... Sure makes a lot of sense. .......

I see several rifle makers have gone 12" twists for the .308W. The 175 gr match bullets are the bullets of choice these days for long range and the 12" twist 26 - 28" length barrels have proven best. The exception being Palma rifles in .308W with 145 - 155 gr bullets. The 13 & 14" twist barrelsof 27 -31" length excel there.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I'm curious to see how long it will take before aftermarket barrels in large bores arrive... I imagine a carbine length 458 SOCOM, 450 Bushmaster, 45 Raptor, or any thumper could be very tempting as an easy swap option for a multi-purpose rifle...
    6.5, 308, and .458 capabilities would seem to leave very little uncovered, except game more suited to 22 long rifle.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast