RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gold

So if gold costs $1130.70/oz. what's the mark up? will it ever reach that mark up for me to break even?
    I think i'll run down to dollar general and pick up some spam , & maybe some beans. Use the rest to buy primers/powder/lead, maybe another mold, maybe some beer. I'll bet cigarette's & wiskey will be worth more then gold if..............
    I cannot remember when the prices on brass have been so low.

Moderator Emeritus

Premiums depend on what you are buying but a gold eagle(1oz) is 8% or so over spot price. And yes there is a very good chance prices will rise more than 8%. Precious metals are the last thing on the list behind water, food, ammo, guns.... if you are set and just resupplying what you use and have leftover it doesn't hurt to have some in the safe.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When SHTF where will you find buyers and just what premium will they charge to a total stranger?

If they demand an assay because of so many counterfeit Chinese copies,how long will it take and how much will it cost?

Many questions I could ask because back when Bucky Hunt was busy so was I and a friend.

Some times selling as much as $15,000 worth of silver stuff in a week and filling orders for 4-5 100 oz bars of .999 silver.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Precious metals are investments after an event (shtf, emp, wtrol, economic depression )

It's hard to get some stores to take a hundred dollar bill now.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy

The bottom line:

It’s not that prices are going up;
    It’s the paper money that’s going down.

The yardstick that you use (dollars)
    to measure things (prices)
    continues to change.

Gold has not changed; the paper money has.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purchasing power.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	144921
    Last edited by Cord; 07-19-2015 at 01:13 PM.

Boolit Master

there are a lot more people out there that will trade for silver/gold than you think, and not the "we will buy your gold" outfits. during the "evil black gun" shortage awhile back several individuals had ar's for trade only and they wanted gold/silver not cash. will I trade a ounce of gold for a jar of food, no, will I trade an once of gold for a piece of equipment that I desperately need, yes. if we end up like Argentina will I sell a side of beef for gold/silver?, yes, will I sell it for paper money?, no.

Boolit Grand Master

After a SHTF event, there will always be those willing to trade for gold. They are the ones who profit from others discomfort.

Having a wheel barrow full of inflated dollars might get you a loaf of bread, but a half thimble full of gold will always feed you for a long time.
    How many more strokes of Os pen will it take.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I watched an hour long documentary on gold last night. I wish everyone had seen it. I came away with the realization that we are being lied to, both buy dealers and the government. When you ask the question, how will you be able to spend the gold when the time comes? Apparently the time has come. One of the moderators showed a credit card that was made up of small gold squares. When you purchase an item you simply break off the appropriate number of squares. They pointed out in the program that many people in the trade do not believe our government has as much gold in storage as they claim. The US has been storing gold for other countries for many years. Germany asked for just a portion of theirs back and were told they would have to wait. After that several other countries have tried to retrieve their gold but were given the same shuck & jive. There is nothing new in gold fraud as was pointed out in the program. It was common long before western civilization came into being. Looks like it will be with us always. Governments do not like you to own precious metals. Thy much prefer paper which they can print to their hearts content. Obozo must have the printers working around the clock.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    It's the internet! Everyone is an expert on investing as well as gold and silver. In over 15 years of web surfing I don't believe I met anyone who admitted they lost money with stocks, etc.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    It's the internet! Everyone is an expert on investing as well as gold and silver. In over 15 years of web surfing I don't believe I met anyone who admitted they lost money with stocks, etc.
    Well......here's one!

One cannot invest heavily in stocks, bonds, muni's and PM's without having some losers now & then. I have had them in the past. I just sold them, took the loss on taxes and moved on to something else. And made all the losses back with other market tools. It is a learning process.

Everyone in the markets will have winners......AND losers. Don't let any tell you different!

Moderator Emeritus
    I like the following comments from Warren Buffet about gold:

The problem with gold is that it has two major insurmountable shortcomings. It is "neither of much use nor procreative" according to Buffett. While he does allow for the caveat that gold has some small industrial and decorative use, the demand for either purpose is insufficient to use up all of the gold we are digging out of the ground just to hide it away again is a bank vault. However, his bigger issue with gold is that it can't be used to produce anything of value. Its value rises and falls based on what someone else is willing to pay for it, not based on its ability to generate income for its owner.

---------

"(It) gets dug out of the ground in Africa or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."

---------

Today the world's gold stock is about 170,000 metric tons. If all of this gold were melded together, it would form a cube of about 68 feet per side. (Picture it fitting comfortably within a baseball infield.) At $1,127 per ounce, its value would be about $9.6 trillion. Call this cube pile A.

Let's now create a pile B costing an equal amount. For that, we could buy all U.S. cropland (400 million acres with output of about $200 billion annually), plus 16 ExxonMobil's (the world's most profitable company, one earning more than $40 billion annually). After these purchases, we would have about $1 trillion left over for walking-around money (no sense feeling strapped after this buying binge). Can you imagine an investor with $9.6 trillion selecting pile A over pile B?

And yet, investors still do choose gold over these productive assets all the time. Assets that will be producing corn and cotton and oil and gas for longer than any of our lifespans. Meanwhile, the gold will be unmoved and still incapable of producing anything. To wit Buffett said, "You can fondle the cube, but it will not respond."

Banned

I don't mind a paper cash reserve if I am fully stocked on Bullets, Beans and Bandages. It will be far easier to trade useful goods than gold or silver. I may buy some more silver but then again if I am stocked up, I may not. I have mentioned this before, but there is a fellow I know of who has around 300 to 500 hundred Glocks in his garage as a "precious metal investment/hedge." That hoard will be quite valuable in a SHTF scenario. If paper dollars become worthless, then when I pay my mortgage with paper dollars, I will be living for free, right??????????

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I have nothing against gold or silver but I'm not convinced it would be the commodity of choice anymore. It has had value in the past but I think it all depends on what causes the SHTF and how bad it is. A moderate collapse then it will probably be a decent investment. If things get horrible then I'm not sure it will have any value at all despite the past. In a very serious break down there will be a ton of people who will have designs on just taking what you have. Sort of like if you're the only guy on your street gaining weight you just became a target for the hungry neighbors. And no you're not going to defend your house against 30 armed and determined people. It will all hinge on how bad the scenario becomes.

Boolit Master

Ever stop to think why they call Buffett the Oracle of Omaha? Pretty savvy investor and on top in his field. Ever stop to think he might, just might obfuscate about his true holdings? I'll wager he has at least 10% of his personal holdings in "in hand" precious metals, he'd be a fool if he didn't. His credit cards, folding money ect would be just as worthless as mine are going to become.

Boolit Master

the crop land that buffet likes is about 15 to 20 grand an acre and requires a lot of expensive inputs to make any money. its never a bad investment to buy land but what if it gets taxed away from you. its all a balance game.

Banned

"I'll wager he has at least 10% of his personal holdings in "in hand" precious metals, he'd be a fool if he didn't."

Good to know. Need his address in Nebraska. When society collapses I will join the militia which goes up against his private army.

Boolit Master
    If you guys think your USA paper money is worthless I'll take it off your hands for $.95 on the $1
    East Tennessee

Boolit Mold
    We just signed a deal with the Iranians. Not that the Senate will ratify it but they don't have to . The other signatories to the deal will drop their sanctions with Iran as soon as the ink is dry in their caitals. The price of oil and other commodities will nose dive over the next few months. Gold is a commodity and it too will drop like a stone. It won't drop to pre 2008 prices ( remember $270 gold? I do. Bought 2 pounds and sold sold it when it hit $1500. Nice down payment on my house ) but it will probably plunge under $600. Anyone who bought gold over $1100 and held it will be convincing themselves they did something smart. Investment opportunities run in cycles. Sometimes its stocks ( not now ) , sometimes its bonds, sometimes commodities , etc. With commodities about to take a nosedive the institutional investors will look for something new and commodities will take a back seat for a while or at least until the next financial scare.

Boolit Master
    Gold and silver have always seemed to buy about the same thing of a commodity historically. An ounce gold should buy a well tailored quality mans suit in London while an ounce of silver will buy about 1/3 tank of automobile gasoline (5 gal). Don't own a suit anymore but the spot price of silver at about $15/ounce is currently almost exactly the price of 5 gallons of gas locally depending on the station. Silver might be a way to go this week with the added benefit that silver bullion one once bars or rounds are more "liquid" than gold or platinum.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "I'll wager he has at least 10% of his personal holdings in "in hand" precious metals, he'd be a fool if he didn't."

Good to know. Need his address in Nebraska. When society collapses I will join the militia which goes up against his private army.
    Just call me General and fall in line.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast