WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Any .416 shooters out there?

Banned

Any .416 shooters out there?

I have a .416 RemMag I want to start casting for but I need to slug the barrel first to see what mold I need.

I need to find a few soft bullets around .418 to see what I need. Anybody out there have a few that I could buy?

Cant even buy a cheap Lee as they don't make a .416. Noe either for that matter. Been plotting some Accurate designs but he has a few that look nice but need the specs first. The only sizing die I found was a .417 from Lyman so may also need to have one of those made.
    Thanks
    Tom

Boolit Master
    I bought an RCBS 416-350-FN for my 416 Rigby but I haven't used it yet. I'm hoping to get to the 416 and 375 late this summer.

Boolit Master

If you want it I have a RCBS LAM .416 size die. I have no use for it if you could use it.

Boolit Master

I also use the .416-350 FN for my Rigby. Great boolit. It would serve you well in your .416 Remington Mag.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    If you want it I have a RCBS LAM .416 size die. I have no use for it if you could use it.
    Thanks I would like it. I could at least try to size down some .429s for slugs altho that may be a stretch.

What can I send you in return or what can I pay you?

As for the 350gr bullet that was one I was looking at from Accurate but also the 400s.

My Kleinguenther shoots both in jackets in MOA but who knows in cast. But I want to slug the barrel before I get any molds, so need to slug it.
    THanks
    Tom

Boolit Master
    Tom,
    I have 3 NEI moulds that cast great boolits for the .416's. They are all gas check designs, and as follows:
    290gr RN FP
    330gr RN
    375gr RN
    It might take me a little bit to get some cast out of soft alloy, but I would be happy to send you some when I do. If you're interested, send me a PM with an address to send the samples to, and I'll send them when I get them cast.

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Banned
    Thanks PM sent

Veral Smith will sell you some push through slugs for about $1 apiece. He'll also make a mold based on the slug if you want.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Thanks I would like it. I could at least try to size down some .429s for slugs altho that may be a stretch.

What can I send you in return or what can I pay you?

As for the 350gr bullet that was one I was looking at from Accurate but also the 400s.

My Kleinguenther shoots both in jackets in MOA but who knows in cast. But I want to slug the barrel before I get any molds, so need to slug it.
    THanks
    Tom
    The K15 Instafire Kleingunther my brother bought new from Bob Kleingunther back in `80 came with a guarantee to shoot factory ammo (7 Rem. Mag.) to an inch or under at 100 yds. My handloads that I developed bettered that group size to 3 shots into the same hole at 250 yds! If you still want .418" boolets, try the RCBS boolet unsized and pan lubed. Otherwise you`ll need someone to make you a sizer that size or else you can ream out a sizer to that size. I like shooting Accurate molds .416`s in my Taylor, I have opened a sizer to .4175" which works fine in my rifle.Robert

Banned
    Actually the K guarantee was 1/2" at 100 with his reloading data (this one was rebarreled to .416 so 1MOA) I had Mr. K make probably 8 or 10 K14s & K15s over the years. Think I still have 2 375s, 300, 2 7mm, 416, 338. Had a 25-06 that was the most accurate rifle I ever had until I got into BR, Fclass etc. 3" at 600. Shot several Oregon blacktails at up to 500 with it, all 1 shot to the heart.

I forgot about Veral at LBT & his slugs. Better give him a call.

The thing with Mr. K was he would work with you to design the exact rifle & stock for you. (he designed Weatherby's stocks & you could see it in his stock work) Worst thing I did making a rifle was have him make me the .338 for a Canadian Griz/Moose hunt in 85 with a crotch grade piece of wood ($600 back then) then put a 1/2" gouge in the forarm & knock a 2" chip out of the wood around the mag well in a 2 wk hunt! Never again. All new hunting guns are some kind of synthetic.

I really need to get back to the .416...
    I have a Ruger#1 in .416 Remington, and the RCBS 350-FN.
    After the first 3 shots (touching at 50 yards with open sights) my shooting partner asked if I noticed the stock... EGADS!!! It was split nearly though at the wrist along the line of the wood grain. I sent the rifle back to Ruger.
    Ruger replaced the stock with the most beautiful wood I've ever seen on a rifle, and the gun has not been back to the range in 11 years.....
    Life gets in the way at times.

Anyway, in the brief time I had, the RCBS bullet performed nicely in my gun.
    However, I'm not too sure about the availability of .416 gas checks at this time.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

In Remembrance

My late brother sent several of our targets down to Mr. K. as evidence of what his rifle could do. About a week later I recieved a phone call from Mr K. asking for details about what my loads were composed of right down to lot numbers from all the componets. He was Roy Weatherbys head gunsmith when Weatherby was still in W. Germany. He went on his own with his own style action when Roy moved to California. I don`t believe Mr K. uses his own style action anymore with 9 locking lugs I think, using other commercial made actions. I found that the K15 liked hot loads in my experiments that spanned 3 months before I hit a combination of case make and length and how much sizing done, bullet make and weight, powder make and charge and finally OAL. The rifle was taken by my nephew after my brother passed on, heard he pawned it down in Georgia for beer money while still in the Army.Robert

Banned
    Ya, he sent me targets with the exact loads, bullet/brass wts, brand etc.

There is a long story involved with his business. He got screwed out of his first company which was named "KDF" by the guy who took it which ultimately went out of business. Mr. K continued making his rifles under another name which escapes me now. He died about 10yrs ago.

We spent a lot of time talking about guns, he was always willing to impart his knowledge & advice.

Banned
    Well I received Jay's .417 die today, sized some .432 bullets with no problem. Actually they were a smooth soft lead slug with a lube groove after sizing. They actually came out at just barely .416 so I was thinking a .418 mold with the .417 sizer would work well. What do you guys think?

Going to call Tom at Accurate & see what he says.

Boolit Bub
    Have built a couple of Taylors and couldn't be happier with them. Am casting a RCBS 350gr GC that works perfectly at around 1800 fps.

Semper Fi from a former Quantico junkie...

Reggie

Banned
    I'm thinking about a Taylor since I just found another 98 action & don't have any plans for it. Was just up to Quantico to get new base stickers for vehicles & pick up a bunch of ground turkey & beef fat that I use to make dog food.

Actually I received my 350gr .418 Accurate mold a few days ago & did about 50 & lubed & sized them. Loaded some up & hope to shoot them tomorrow. Also had 8 .430 310GCs left over from when I used them to size bore & had loaded some up & some 265gr which which I shot for grins. The 310s acutally shot about 2" at 100, so I took the left overs & loaded them up with the new 350s to shoot. Used 15gr of Unique for both the 265 & 310s.

That was my cast bullet load for winter indoor range competitions in AK in .375 & .458. It was quite accurate back then & seems to work good in the .416.

I'll post results when I get them. If I remember correctly I loaded 48, 49, 50gr of IMR 4064. Have a number of prepped brass ready to go for another powder which I'll decide on this evening & load up a set of 3 for it.

Banned
    OK, shot a few ladders with the new 350grGC from Accurate. Nice mold & bullet. Have not shot follow up strings yet, going to load them today or tomorrow.

First off, I had swaged down some .44 mag leads from .429 to .417 with 310s & 265s which I had shot at 27 just for grins & thought to use them to get on paper at 100. Loaded with 15-17gr Unique. Both actually wern't bad. 2-3"

Now for the .418s. They were supposed to be .418 from the mold & were. Nice & round, dropped nice bullets quickly.

1st load. 55-57 RL15, F215 primers, #2 alloy w/filler. All were OK. 56gr was best at 1" Want to try them again with slight changes.

2nd load. 49-51 3031, same as above. 51 was best & will try 52, 53 with it next time. It was 1.5".

3rd load. 48-50 IMR 4064, also same. 48 was 2". Need to see if I can go up a little.

Going to check out a couple other powders. It's a start but hope to get better.

If any of you guys have any suggestions for loads to try, let me know.
    Tom