Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: #11 vs Musket Primer

Boolit Buddy

#11 vs Musket Primer

This is probably addressed somewhere here, I just can't find it.

I have a very nice NA P53 Enfield with a Hoyt made Kerr barrel. For a while now I have been having trouble finding GOOD musket caps. Have been considering switching it over to use #11 caps.

Any thoughts/experiences on the matter? I use RWS #11 caps and recently found a source for SCHUETZEN MUSKET CAPS but not a thing about them.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by drhall762; 07-17-2015 at 05:22 PM.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Grand Master

#11s should work fine with a good nipple.
    Aim small, miss small!

Musket caps (aka: Top Hat's) spark hotter than a #11 cap - which can make the difference, in some guns, between positive & spotty powder ignition.

Many online ammo retailers also carry Musket caps.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2572/cat100011

Boolit Master
    Most musket caps are hotter (more impulse) than #11 caps. Sometimes a hotter cap is needed, sometimes not. Depends on gun and management of the gun. For those situations that require more poop, the musket cap is definitely the way to go.

But not all caps are created equal. For example the current #0301 "multiple use" musket cap by CCI (designed for re-enactor use) is about like a common #11.

The photo shows the two types of CCI musket caps. The #0300 CCI musket cap on the left is plenty hot. The #0301 CCI "multiple use" musket cap on the right is very mild.

While # 11 caps would probably work fine, have you considered using an adapter for standard 209 or small rifle primers?

Right now #11 caps are nowhere to be found where I live, so I have to order them online, so I'm thinking about converting all of my BP guns to use small rifle primers.

Perm-Banned
    where can you buy a nipple of small rifle primers?

Boolit Master
    Oh oh. No comment just yet.

What? Nobody shops at Dixie gun works. They sell small rifle primer adapter nipples, or you can convert to a 209 and use an adapter from eabco to adapt it to large rifle primers if you want to go that route.

After thinking about it I guess my post was misleading. I don't know what the threads are on drhall762's rifle I know that musket nipples are either 5/16x24 or 8mmx.75. I've not seen an adapter that would be a direct fit because most are either made for 1/4x28 or 6mmx1 or .75 . If I did try to convert my Zouave I'd either try to make a thread adapter or have a friend copy an adapter with 1/4x28 to fit.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Many years ago I had an original Barnett Enfield. In those days . . . while there were a few different brands of musket caps (the German made were the best), most of what was available in my area were "Alcan" musket caps. (I'm talking mid 1969s). Sometimes they were reliable . . . sometimes not. I switched the musket nipple out with a bronze nipple for #11 or #12 . . . forgive my memory as it's been a long time . . . anyway . . . they worked just fine and I never had a pboblem with the setting the charge off.

The only way you're going to know is to try it and see with your rifle. You're talking the price of a nipple and if it works, then you will still be able to switch out the nipples when you some musket caps that are reliable. I don't know what is available today as far as nipples but I would think you'd be able to find one that will fit the threads your rifle has. Try Track of the Wolf . . . Lodgewood Mfg. . . . S & S Firearms. Good luck!

Boolit Master
    I have a 41mississippi with a Hoyt liner to .54. I switched nipples to use the no.11 rws caps. shot it a lot in matches never had a miss or hang fire. they will work just fine.

Boolit Buddy

I am not sure CCI even makes the 300 cap any longer. Can't find a reference to it. Read something about a lawsuit but no legal papers.

Think I will try the #11 route and replace the nipple. Have only read about on adapter for the 209 style primers and the reviews were about 50/50. Loved it or hated it. Simple enough concept.

Thanks for the help.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Buddy
    I've used Winchester #11 magnum caps on my 2 band enfield musket.

I had ignition issues with my Invest arms .58 when using #11's. Never had any misfires, but I could notice a millisecond delay in ignition. Even with different brands of caps the same of which would work fine on my .50. Made the switch to musket caps and the difference was immediately noticable. Much quicker ignitions. Given that, I would have to recommend the muskets for larger calibers. I also use a small rifle primer adapter for hunting. I love it. I do understand why some hate them. They are fiddly to handle and foul quickly making them a poor choice for recreational or volume/match type shooting. However, for hunting, when that one shot counts, it's all I use anymore.