Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOE Bullet Molds Reviews

Boolit Master

NOE Bullet Molds Reviews

I am a long time user of steel molds. I have and have used Ideal, RCBS, Lyman and Saeco molds. I even tried one Lee aluminum mold and didn't care for it. due to the quality of the bullets. I finally ended up using all Saeco molds because of the longevity, uniform quality of the bullets, lighter weight, ease of cleaning, etc.

My question is I am considering purchasing a brass NOE 4 cavity hollow point mold and wanted to get some reviews from those who actually have used, tried and not used NOE molds and why. I have never used a brass mold and wondering what performance differences to expect.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Boolit Master
    Brass molds are very nice at holding heat and cast very well due to this property. With proper mold lube your mold will be around for a very long time. I had a NOE 4 cavity brass mold and the only complaint was it was a heavy beast.

Boolit Grand Master
    I buy and endorse NOE products. They do not disappoint. To the point of your topic, brass HP molds, consider.

Brass is heavy, but once to temperature, it is much easier to cast good boolits with a brass mold than with aluminum molds. For me, they seem to work slightly better than Iron as well, but that may be due to the quality of the molds. I have brass molds by Accurate, MP and NOE, all of whom are premier manufacturers, while my Iron molds are mostly Lyman/Ideal, RCBS, with a few older manufacturers like Cramer, H&G et al. I have three SAECO molds, but do not find them to be worth the money any more, they are too high priced for the quality received these days IMO.

In use, brass likes to run a little hotter than iron, but not as hot as aluminum for good fill out. Preheating and heat cycling are recommended to obtain the brass patina that seems to foretell lots of good boolits. It may take you two or three casting sessions to get the mold broken in, but once you get there, good boolits will be the rule and rejects the exception.

I have 3 NOE HP molds, all aluminum and 2 brass non-hp molds, as well as a half-dozen or so Aluminum molds, and I like them as much as any. In fact, I'd say NOE is my favorite Manufacturer. Al is swell to deal with, but I digress. They are among the best in the world in quality of worksmanship. I will say that I have a slight preference for MP Cramer Style HP Molds over the NOE RG style HP ones, but I will buy of NOE cheerfully to avoid the 2 plus year waits that MP molds usually have these days. Either will vastly out produce those stinking Lyman style SC devestator style molds, both in pure numbers and in percentage of good boolits per casting session.

In my experience, I can cast 5 HP boolits for every 6 non-hp boolits I can cast in an equal period assuming equal quality molds. You will need to pre-heat the mold and use one of the mold lubes offered to lightly lube the underside of the sprue plate and the tips of the hp pins for best results. Using a Q-tip, take one drop of mold lube and rub it over the underside of the sprue plate and the pins, then use the dry end to go over the same surfaces. You want a microscopically-thin layer, not a puddle. This works best when applied to a warm mold.

Below you have pictures of NOE 9mm and 45 acp HP boolits, an NOE Hollow base Wadcutter mold , a 44 Special loaded with an NOE 44-230 WC next to a 45 Colt loaded with a 454-309, and lastly NOE 110 grain WC boolits loaded in a 44 mag case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kirl with axe 005.jpg   011.jpg   45&44 WC 001.jpg   088.jpg  
    Last edited by rintinglen; 07-17-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: missed a word-duh!!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

NOE makes a good mold. The one I got the other week did stick when opening.(alignment pins bound up) Threw it on the mill and enlarged the chamfers to fix it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I buy and endorse NOE products. They do not disappoint. To the point of your topic, brass HP molds, consider.

Brass is heavy, but once to temperature, it is much easier to cast good boolits with a brass mold than with aluminum molds. For me, they seem to work slightly better than Iron as well, but that may be due to the quality of the molds. I have brass molds by Accurate, MP and NOE, all of whom are premier manufacturers, while my Iron molds are mostly Lyman/Ideal, RCBS, with a few older manufacturers like Cramer, H&G et al. I have three SAECO molds, but do not find them to be worth the money any more, they are too high priced for the quality received these days IMO.

In use, brass likes to run a little hotter than iron, but not as hot as aluminum for good fill out. Preheating and heat cycling are recommended to obtain the brass patina that seems to foretell lots of good boolits. It may take you two or three casting sessions to get the mold broken in, but once you get there, good boolits will be the rule and rejects the exception.

I have 3 NOE HP molds, all aluminum and 2 brass non-hp molds, as well as a half-dozen or so Aluminum molds, and I like them as much as any. In fact, I'd say NOE is my favorite Manufacturer. Al is swell to deal with, but I digress. They are among the best in the world in quality of worksmanship. I will say that I have a slight preference for MP Cramer Style HP Molds over the NOE RG style HP ones, but I will buy of NOE cheerfully to avoid the 2 plus year waits that MP molds usually have these days. Either will vastly out produce those stinking Lyman style SC devestator style molds, both in pure numbers and in percentage of good boolits per casting session.

In my experience, I can cast 5 HP boolits for every 6 non-hp boolits I can cast in an equal period assuming equal quality molds. You will need to pre-heat the mold and use one of the mold lubes offered to lightly lube the underside of the sprue plate and the tips of the hp pins for best results. Using a Q-tip, take one drop of mold lube and rub it over the underside of the sprue plate and the pins, then use the dry end to go over the same surfaces. You want a microscopically-thin layer, not a puddle. This works best when applied to a warm mold.

Below you have pictures of NOE 9mm and 45 acp HP boolits, an NOE Hollow base Wadcutter mold , a 44 Special loaded with an NOE 44-230 WC next to a 45 Colt loaded with a 454-309, and lastly NOE 110 grain WC boolits loaded in a 44 mag case.
    Thanks for all the good information. I am sold and will placing an order with NOE today. One question I still have is what handles fit the NOE 4 cavity molds or do they only take NOE handles?

Boolit Grand Master

The LEE handles do a fine job on all my brass moulds. Their also half the price.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love NOE brass molds (and aluminum as well). I use Lee handles with no problems or mods.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I have a couple NOE molds but they are aluminum. They both are well made and will cast great bullets quickly. The machine work and material quality will spoil you as I have been by NOE Accurate and MP/Mihec.

I did have trouble getting the NOE RG hollow point mold pre-heated due to those bracket/guides on the bottom. Someone else reccomended standing it on end with the sprue plate opened which finally worked for me to get enough heat transfer to the blocks and pins. I can get it casting smooth after a few casts but will make a special plate to set it on if I can find the time.

Bottom line is that I will buy more NOE molds and reccomend them to others as one of the top thre manufactures that I have used. As for the brass I have a shelf full of the MP series and love them. Brass is heavy but I like casting with them and they hold up very well. I am sure you will find the brass molds addictive as have I.

Boolit Man
    Bought and used my first brass NOE mold this past week. Once they are up to casting temp they make some fine looking pills! Prior to this mold all I had used was iron molds. The only down side to brass is the weight.

Boolit Master
    NOE is top notch quality. I don't have any of his brass but I have a few MP in brass.

I love the casting qualities of brass, but you do need to run them hot (800+ in my experience) to get good HP release. You also need to consider that brass is very heavy compared to aluminum, so if you have arthritis then be prepared for some aching wrists.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Big fan of NOE, can't speak to the brass option and my first RG mould is still awaiting it's first casting session. World-class quality and customer service, IMHO. Yes, Lee handles will fit but I think you should try one set of NOE's handles. I ran out of Lee handles recently and ordered a set from Al. I'm impressed with the features and quality of these handles, definitely built for years of comfortable trouble-free use. I haven't used them yet but feel pretty sure my next NOE mould will arrive with a set of NOE handles.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I have 8 NOE molds and love each and every one of them. Al Nelson and team make a quality product and provide service of the highest caliber. I cannot say enough good things about them.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

I cast with nothing but iron molds for over 40 years. I bought an NOE aluminum mold a few months ago. The molds are great. I had a problem adapting to aluminum from iron. I contacted Al with my issues and with his guidance I am now comfortable with NOE's quality aluminum molds. I'd like to try brass molds, but have not, yet!
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master

I have lots of NOE molds but they are all aluminium. I also have a lot of brass Mihec molds. I like both but I see no need to order brass from NOE. I do prefer the casting qualities of brass. But the aluminium that NOE uses is a high grade. The weight and price savings make aluminium the better option. I'm young now but won't always be. I know brass molds will become an issue as my age increases.

Tinning is a real concern w/ brass molds. If you catch it early it's easy to remove. If you don't and it builds up it becomes a bear to remove.

Banned

I have several NOE brass HP moulds and other NOE moulds. I cannot say anymore than already has been said.

You will not be disappointed with a brass NOE mould. Al will make sure of that.

Boolit Master
    Since I have zero experience with brass molds and now have 3 mold on order from NOE, I understand "soldering" can be a problem with brass molds. Is this a problem with NOE molds? If so, has anyone used a patina to solve the soldering problem and what has worked or not worked?

I have never experienced the mold soldering on any of my brass molds, so I can't comment on that. I have several NOE aluminum molds and they are high quality and work very well. About the only thing I don't care for in NOE molds is their method of hollow pointing. The hollow point pins areheld in place by brackets on the bottom of the mold and get in the way and for me they hang up and interupt my process. The brass molds I have are made by M-P Molds and I prefer their hollow point set up. where the pins are held in place by additional pins coming through the side of the mold. These work flawlessly for me. Brass molds are heavier than steel molds and by far heavier than aluminum. http://www.accuratemolds.com/moldSpecs.php You can see the weight difference in metals here. Accurate molds are another high quality mold that they will produce it in your choice of metal, bullets design or whatever, you just won't get a round nose or hollow point mold from them. They claim it is a tooling issue.

Boolit Grand Master

Tinning can happen w/ brass molds if you're alloy contains tin. Who would of thought
    Break them in w/ a few heat cool cycles first. This begins the patina process. If you notice any lead building up between the blocks remove it immediately. If you let it build it can be a pain to remove. Brass molds come into their own after a few casting sessions. I've had trouble w/ most of them the first few sessions. But once broken in they rain bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Tinning can happen w/ brass molds if you're alloy contains tin. Who would of thought
    Break them in w/ a few heat cool cycles first. This begins the patina process. If you notice any lead building up between the blocks remove it immediately. If you let it build it can be a pain to remove. Brass molds come into their own after a few casting sessions. I've had trouble w/ most of them the first few sessions. But once broken in they rain bullets.

+1

This post sums everything up pretty well.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Buddy
    Dragonheart,

NOE and Accurate molds, both aluminum and brass, are as well made as any of the steel molds that you have been using. You will not have any quality issues but you will experience a learning curve because of the differences in the casting regimens required for the different mold materials. I am still learning to use brass and aluminum molds from both sources, so I will defer to others for tips and techniques for casting with brass and aluminum molds.

I have only been using brass and aluminum molds for about a year and still prefer steel molds but if you want a bullet design sold by either NOE or Accurate you are stuck with what they sell. Accurate will cut you a steel mold but you may need to take out a second mortgage on your home to pay for it.

Gus Youmans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast