Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NOE Bullet Molds Reviews

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Tinning can happen w/ brass molds if you're alloy contains tin. Who would of thought
    Break them in w/ a few heat cool cycles first. This begins the patina process. If you notice any lead building up between the blocks remove it immediately. If you let it build it can be a pain to remove. Brass molds come into their own after a few casting sessions. I've had trouble w/ most of them the first few sessions. But once broken in they rain bullets.
    Have you ever tried to speed up the patina process using Liver of Sulfur?

Brass molds are a work of art but really heavy. They do hold heat well once you get them to temp, which can take awhile. I like quality alum molds or steel/iron. The NOE alum 4cav I have makes nice bullets as do the ones from Accurate.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Have you ever tried to speed up the patina process using Liver of Sulfur?
    Read the thread about this. I paid to much for the molds to try it. The patina happens naturally and I'm willing to wait. It's not like I don't cast any keepers the first few sessions. There's just more rejects.

Most times they are a little troublesome for the first pot full, 20#s or so. I then place the mold on a hot plate, in a mold oven, fill the pot up and wait for it to melt. Once the pot is ready I begin casting again and the molds seem to magically work better. Heat soak is your friend w/ a brass mold

Boolit Master
    My thanks to all that have posted as I got a lot of user experience in short order.

My first order for a NOE #68 4 cavity brass mold for 45 ACP came in this week and I put it to the mold to the test yesterday and I have to say it produces the best looking bullets of any mold I have or have ever used, steel or aluminium and that includes molds made by Saeco, Lyman, H&G, Lee, Ideal and RCBS. The block separation line on this mold is hardly visible at all and the lead bullets look polished due to the fine finish of the mold cavities. The sprue plate cuts quick and even and the bullets just fall out. To say I am pleased is an understatement.

I have two brass 9 mm molds on order in the group buy and can hardly wait to put them to the test as they are a new 9 mm version of the #68. I plan on buying an additional #68 as I typically run two mold simultaneously.

Once again thanks for all your input.

Banned
    Is it just a quirk or is NOE cutting vent lines under their sprue plates?

Boolit Grand Master

I started in 1967 with Lyman's , Lee aluminum came out , they were affordable and I bought many. Picked up a few RCBS steel and a Saeco . These were the moulds used for 40 years .
    On this site heard about NOE , the oohing and aahing about how nice they were and how easy to cast with got me to wondering.....just how much better can they be. I never had used or even seen a "premium" mould in my life...One day I decided to try one, just one...I'm rather tight with a dollar and could get Lee moulds for $20.00 . I ordered a 4 cavity aluminum , just to see, dispel all this nonsense about how good they are ...no intention of throwing any more hard earned money away.

Well after experiencing the first one...I was so impressed that I now own 4 NOE moulds... They are that nice , that easy to cast with and just a joy to use. A work of art to boot.
    All of mine are aluminum but I'm sure the brass are just as well made. I'm 68 and the 4 cavity alum. is as heavy as I can use for an extended time, in fact my last 3 moulds have been three cavity moulds because I like the weight.
    Al's alum. blocks are much larger than Lee's and heavier . They hold the heat well because of this.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My only complaint about NOE molds are the tapered gas check shanks. They do sell a few tools to deal with them. Like gas check expanders, gas check seaters and such.

I must have at least a dozen by now. They do tend to make great bullets!
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    I have a couple NOE molds but they are aluminum. They both are well made and will cast great bullets quickly. The machine work and material quality will spoil you as I have been by NOE Accurate and MP/Mihec.

I did have trouble getting the NOE RG hollow point mold pre-heated due to those bracket/guides on the bottom. Someone else reccomended standing it on end with the sprue plate opened which finally worked for me to get enough heat transfer to the blocks and pins. I can get it casting smooth after a few casts but will make a special plate to set it on if I can find the time.

Bottom line is that I will buy more NOE molds and reccomend them to others as one of the top thre manufactures that I have used. As for the brass I have a shelf full of the MP series and love them. Brass is heavy but I like casting with them and they hold up very well. I am sure you will find the brass molds addictive as have I.
    I use a propane torch to heat the pins and brackets.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I have a few NOE molds and lately I have been using the 5 cavity 230g .45 acp mold with no lube grooves as I use Hitek coating on everything I cast. Makes a great bullet and shoots nicely. I cast about 750 the other night and when going thru them I only had about 5 that had defects in.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a pile of NOE moulds ranging from 5C 225-37 to a 3C 460-543 . All aluminum . Switching between single and double iron moulds and the 3-5C NOEs is easy . I have a large cal brass mould and it is similar in "attitude" to a 25 cal Lyman 4C .

Heat soak the brass moulds , think steak well done , before you pour the first bullet .
    My experience , and it's very limited , is that the working window of the brass moulds is very narrow . It is very easy to over run the window and quirky to keep it get it up to the lower limit .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Is it just a quirk or is NOE cutting vent lines under their sprue plates?
    None of mine have them under the sprue plate.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Mold
    They are the real deal when it comes to customer Service. I had ordered a 5 cavity mold and had not received it in an appropriate amount of time. I called them and they know what customer support is all about. They took my info went out on the production floor and called me back within 10 minutes. Told me the did not have a 5 cavity but he had a 4 cavity in his hand if I wanted it. I said yes that would be fine. He told me he would get me a credit issued and get it shipped out. I got the credit notice within 10 minutes also adn know I will be getting shipping info this evening.

Great people to deal with. Thank You NOE

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NecroThread.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	276998

Please pay attention to the dates on threads.
    NRA Benefactor.

hjdistl
    Welcome to the forum! Thanks for an UPDATE on good service from a good company.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12