WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipping the sizing process altogether? (And using LFC die to do the job)

Skipping the sizing process altogether? (And using LFC die to do the job)

I currently do this...

1. Cast bullets from lead alloy
    2. dry tumble and powder coat bullets
    3. size powder coated bullets one by one through a Lee .401" sizer
    4. Load bullets into rounds on dillion 650 with Lee factory crimp die as the final station

My goal is to skip step #3

and simply do this...

1. Cast bullets from lead alloy
    2. dry tumble and powder coat bullets
    3. Load unsized bullets into rounds on dillion 650 with Lee factory crimp die as the final station

The idea being the LFC die does the sizing step for you...

Has anyone else ever done this? My powdercoated bullets come out to .405" so the LFC die should be swaging them in the case down to spec.

Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Try a couple and pull them. I get the feeling that when you measure them they will be all over the board. But, it just might work.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master
    It might work. I have had good luck using .358 bullets in my 9mm cz. I just lube and load the bullets as they are cast.
    Some considerations would be that you will have to expand the case mouth considerably in order to get a .405 bullet into a 40 s&w case. If you don't expand the case enough you will be shaving the coating or lead and that Dan cause problems. The bullets will be sized down to different diameters unless all the brass has the exact same thickness.
    I'd say try it and see what happens.

Boolit Master

I believe Ed Harris once said he did the same thing.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

The size of your boolits after going through the FCD will vary with the thickness of the brass casings you use. Yes, it will size them down, but not with the consistency the sizing die will.
    Different manufacturers produce brass with different wall thicknesses. This variable is being included when you use the FCD to resize.
    If you work with one brand of brass only, the problem will be greatly diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    I believe Ed Harris once said he did the same thing.
    He did that with 9mm for mass producing ammo for testing purposes. In that situation, he was not worried about accuracy as much as that the cartridges would function in the guns they were testing.
    This works great for blasting ammo. Target ammo may require more care.

Boolit Buddy
    They are unlikely to produce consistent accuracy this way. As long as they will chamber they will shoot though.

Boolit Master

What size is your mold dropping bullets? If each cavity is consistent and the "as cast" diameter works with you gun, go for it.

Boolit Master

No matter how good the mold is that you use things don't always work out as planned as slightly oversized CB's will be dropped from time to time. Don't cut corners by not sizing as the targets don't care if your groups are lousy but you might. If time taken to size is of concern look into getting a Star sizer with a feeder & collator.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Don't ask us......try it and see if it works for YOUR guns.

I would not do it.....at all. Ever. I rely on the sizing process to bring all my PC'd boolits into spec. But it depends on how your boolit molds drop to size, your casting temp, and your alloy. All can vary the size widely.....the reason for SIZING!!!!!!!

But is it YOUR boolits, YOUR gun, and YOUR time. Do what you find works for YOUR needs. I know what works for me!

Sizing is NOT a waste of time for me and most others I know.

The FCD is not a cure-all for sizing! Not intended for that purpose at all.

bangerjim

Since brass has a different springback than lead, I suspect your neck tension will be very loose. This could result in boolit setback, pressure spikes and other bad things.

You're using a Dillon 650 and trying to cut a step. That makes no sense. Finished round isn't coming out any sooner.

Update: my apologies to OP. It was early. I see now that he is trying to avoid the separate boolit sizing step; not the case sizing step. I still think there will be a problem.

Boolits are sized after PC because they aren't always 1) universally round and 2) the size is inconsistent. Putting a non round, odd sized boolit in the case and having the FCD size it, will certainly happen. The FCD will make it round and will size it (if oversized). The brass will still have a different springback from the lead, and you case tension will vary due to how much the boolit got sized, what kind of brass was used.

I use the FCD, and like it a lot. Ideally, the FCD does very little work. It's like the FCD is serving as a case gauge and post sizing only those rounds that are out of spec so they will chamber. If all your rounds are out of spec and getting a lot of sizing in the FCD, you have a problem that the FCD was not designed to correct.

Look at it this way, a sized case and a properly sized boolit will get very little done to it by the FCD. A sized case, with an unsized boolit is going to stretch the case. Running it through the FCD will resize both the case and the boolit. When it leaves the FCD, the boolit will stay sized; but the brass has some spring back that will leave the boolit looser than before. A loose boolit is not a good thing.

If sizing is too much of a effort, try plated bullets. Sizing is the most tedious part of the whole process. If your lucky, your mold drops a boolit that is spot on (round and correct diameter). Tumble lube and load.
    Last edited by dudel; 07-16-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Don't ask us......try it and see if it works. . . .
    Let us know what you learn.

Boolit Master
    You're using a Dillon 650 and trying to cut a step. That makes no sense. Finished round isn't coming out any sooner.
    Same number of pulls on the handle, So why leave a station open ?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

A lot does depend on consistency of the cast bullet, and how are y'all PCing? If spray, then you have a LOT better consistency than tumble. I HAVE to size my bullets as coat is heavy and I really don't have any control when swirl them in the bowl. I like the Lee fcd, but all you are going to do is cut into pc. It won't size the bullet. It may shoot, but not as good consistently as a sized bullet. It is still a crimp die.

Oh, guys, he is sizing the bullet before he gets to loading on the 650 B-)

Stretching the brass excessively to get an oversized bullet into the mouth, then "sizing" excessively to mash an oversized case and bullet to fit into your chamber does a couple of things. Creating a loosely held bullet has already been mentioned by more than one.

What hasn't been mentioned that I've seen is excessively working the brass. If you don't recover it, no problem. If you do, you just may see split mouths a lot sooner with that brass. And you're hardening those mouths faster, probably creating a wider range of neck tension than usual.

Over the years, my reloading has produced better accuracy and longevity when all the dies used match up with all the others appropriately. And that isn't guaranteed by any die manufacturer so far. And certainly doesn't happen when you throw in the monkey wrench yourself. The Lee Factory Crimp die for example when used to make up for dies that aren't appropriate for the bullet you're using.

Moderator Emeritus

This \/ \/ \/
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Since brass has a different springback than lead, I suspect your neck tension will be very loose. This could result in boolit setback, pressure spikes and other bad things...
    especially when trying to fix .004" of oversize using a Lee (pistol style) FCD.
    Personally I never use the Lee (pistol style) FCD for cast boolits...but others do, seemingly with success

Now, if you could get a mold that would cast an undersized boolit, so when you PC them, they end up at the desired size (.401"). Under those circumstances, I could see getting by without sizing.
    That's me 2˘
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    You will have poor neck tension.

The brass has to be made smaller than the bullet before you seat. And to get the brass 2 mils smaller than the bullet, the sizer has to bring the case to at least ~4 mils smaller than the bullet diameter, because it'll spring back out about 2 mils when it comes out of the sizing die. You can't move the casemouth 4 mils smaller than bullet diameter with the bullet in the case!

If you do the math, here, your brass is being elastically stretched outward by ~2 mils when your 404 bullet is forced in there. So the new, natural resting position of the ID of the case would be about 402. That's what the ID would measure if you pulled the bullet. When you push this cartridge through the FCD, the case is squished down to about 400-401 ID (depending on the thickness of the brass), which is still within its elastic limit (402-2 = 400); so the case is not sized, at all, by this process. Only the bullet is sized. So the bullet gets squished and stays at around 400-401. Case is still 402. You might retain a frog's hair of tension at the base of the bullet where it got swaged to heck by the case. But essentially your bullets will fall out.
    Last edited by gloob; 07-18-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I avoided loading cast 40 for years, because there was no suitable off the shelf expander for this caliber that I could find. I suggest if you want to make life easier, and you haven't already, to research the use of custom oversize expanders. It just might be possible for you to stop powder coating, altogether, and you might even get increased accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    I avoided loading cast 40 for years, because there was no suitable off the shelf expander for this caliber that I could find. I suggest if you want to make life easier, and you haven't already, to research the use of custom oversize expanders. It just might be possible for you to stop powder coating, altogether, and you might even get increased accuracy.
    Stop Power Coating Altogether???????????? That is blasphemy!

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their fun. And powdercoating does look like a good a way as any to pass free time, I suppose. I am not the one to pass any judgment, there. But do look into the issues that might occur with any oversize cast bullet, and how the proper sized expander can improve your shooting. Even with powdercoated bullets!