WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The 35 XCB, the sledgehammer I've been waiting for

Banned
    This has been an interesting read. I am flummoxed as to what this cartridge will do that a 35 Whelen IMP will not?
    (If the bbl is set up for heavy CBs.

I believe the 35W as the 400W has been misserved by having a non G&H chamber as the SAMMI standard. The G&H chamber (as researched by Mike Petrov) is less tapered and has a distinct shoulder. The 35 would have done better w/the same shape. The 35W IMP does the same albeit a bit different shoulder.

Picked up a nice FI FN that's going to become a 35W or 9.3x62. Choices ---- always choices !

Banned
    This has been an interesting read. I am flummoxed as to what this cartridge will do that a 35 Whelen IMP will not?
    (If the bbl is set up for heavy CBs.

I believe the 35W as the 400W has been misserved by having a non G&H chamber as the SAMMI standard. The G&H chamber (as researched by Mike Petrov) is less tapered and has a distinct shoulder. The 35 would have done better w/the same shape. The 35W IMP does the same albeit a bit different shoulder.

Picked up a nice FI FN that's going to become a 35W or 9.3x62. Choices ---- always choices !

Boolit Grand Master

"This has been an interesting read. I am flummoxed as to what this cartridge will do that a 35 Whelen IMP will not?"

The 35 XCB (35x57) was designed to feed out of standard Mauser actions w/o any action modifications. The 35 Whelen IMP most often will not.

The 35 XCB (35x57) was designed to have a bit larger case capacity than a .358W with the longer neck of the Whelen. That case capacity for use with slower burning powders has been found optimum with cast bullets up through 250 gr giving excellent accuracy at HV. The 35 Whelen Std/IMP in a Mauser action often requires deep seating of the heavier bullets to fit magazine length.

The 35 XCB (35x57) was designed to use readily available shortened 35 Whelen dies for reloading. The 35 Whelen IMP requires expensive custom dies.

The 35x57 with the 35 XCB bullet will also fit in 3" Mauser magazines and in many "medium length" actions magazines. The 35 Whelen IMP will not.

As you said......"choices"......the 35 XCB (35x57) makes for a fine choice to the OP and others..........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345