RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Swaging a 300gr jacketed bullet for the .458 Socom

Swaging a 300gr jacketed bullet for the .458 Socom

Asking for discussion and input on this topic.
    Trying to come up with a good performing general purpose bullet for loading the .458 socom...

From everything I have gathered to date the Nosler Ballistic tip 300gr seems to be one of the better performers for the money. However, currently they are only sold as Sabot Muzzle Loading bullets (no bulk boxes available).

I am currently machining parts to build a swaging press (thanks to all the folks here for that info!) and would like to order my first set of dies soon. I would like to start with trying to make a good performing .458cal 300gr jacketed (open tip) bullet, and maybe later mess around with polymer tips as well. I think the most practical material for jackets would be copper tubing if I were planning on making large lots of these (any input here would be great).

Also, would the "S" type corbin dies hold up to this task for long runs or would I be better off getting "H" type dies. I plan on making two separate interchangeable rams for the press (one for "S" type and one for "H").

Here is a photo of the type of bullet that I'm talking about...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458 bullet 01.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	144565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.458 socom nosler.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	144943
    Last edited by kdbarker; 07-19-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    An H press would make the job a lot easier.

Boolit Master

Samples of 300 to 370 grain, not polished up. Made from .45ACP and 40 S&W brass

Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    An H press would make the job a lot easier.
    Bullet Maker, That's what I was thinking... This is a big bullet but I think ANeat's press build with MattM's plans would be up to the task.
    The only thing that I was worried about was blowing out a set of "S" type dies after long extended use, especially if I was to make heavier bullets with anything other than pure lead, or adding a boat tail or rebated boat tail, etc...
    I think I should plan on "H" type dies for this project. I'll just have to make a ram threaded for 1 x 12 tpi.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post

Samples of 300 to 370 grain, not polished up. Made from .45ACP and 40 S&W brass
    Those are some awesome looking samples!
    The only problem I have with using brass cases for jackets are the uniformity (or the lack of) over different manufactures. I was thinking of trying to come up with a long term solution. I don't really want to add the extra start up for making (drawing) jackets from strip, but I would have concerns with using spent cases as well. So I'm thinking drawing tube to size would be the more practical long term solution.
    I'm not sure, but I really want to research this more so that I can decide on a die package soon.

Right now its looking like around 1500.00 to 1700.00 to tool up with "H" dies for this project. Sets in this range would give me the ability to experiment with flat base, rebated boat tail, open tip, lead tip, etc... This does not include dies to draw the jackets.
    Last edited by kdbarker; 07-16-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Boolit Master

You can buy jackets and make uniform bullets or use all one brand of brass casings. Those were some I made up just playing around with the dies right after I got them from BT. Real easy to keep bullets in a +/- 0.5 grain by sorting brass.