RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Making a round nose die for .308 (300 blackout subsonic) boolits

Boolit Master

Making a round nose die for .308 (300 blackout subsonic) boolits

I don't have any type of radius guide. So what is the best way to make brass lapping guides to finish the die.

Thanks
    Bill

Boolit Master
    Do you mean the lapping devices themselves? I have had good luck swaging them from tubing, in the unfinished die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Do you mean the lapping devices themselves? I have had good luck swaging them from tubing, in the unfinished die.
    Good question, I've seen a great deal of devices used to put the ojive on the reamers and lapping guides. I have none such devices, how ever I've seen cutting tools with a carbide radius, thinking a round nose bullet for subsonic could be made with one, for .308 boolits I was thinking a 5/16 radius would be usable to make consistent radii on all the round nose tools and I could include the ejector pin in the cutting, shaping, lapping of the point.
    Bill

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    Good question, I've seen a great deal of devices used to put the ojive on the reamers and lapping guides. I have none such devices, how ever I've seen cutting tools with a carbide radius, thinking a round nose bullet for subsonic could be made with one, for .308 boolits I was thinking a 5/16 radius would be usable to make consistent radii on all the round nose tools and I could include the ejector pin in the cutting, shaping, lapping of the point.
    Bill
    Some of us can use a round nose for calibers like 30-30, 300 BO. Should be able to use one of the seating dies for 30 carbine, etc................
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

This is the same problem I ran into, I started looking into making a turret tool holder (ball making turret) can be simple or complex but more importantly its repeatable.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    This is the same problem I ran into, I started looking into making a turret tool holder (ball making turret) can be simple or complex but more importantly its repeatable.
    I know what you are saying, there must be a dozen different home made ones. Especially the one cane_man made in his post about the .308 home made dies, he even has pictures of one built from various recycled metals, that was the prototype for his. He has almost enough pictures to be able to copy it. All I need is one time, one reamer and two brass polishing rods.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Some of us can use a round nose for calibers like 30-30, 300 BO. Should be able to use one of the seating dies for 30 carbine, etc................
    Are you suggesting the seating die to swage round nose .30 cal?