MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Can you shoot round balls in n the Encore 209x50

Can you shoot round balls in n the Encore 209x50

I was wondering if anybody ever shot round balls out of there encore 209x50 muzzleloader? I know most so shoot sabots out of theirs.

In Remembrance

I do regularly teaching hunter safety in SW Florida. A load of 50 grains of FFFg and .490 round ball with a .0180 patch shoots to point of aim at 25 yards. We are using 50 grains of FFFg volume or equivalent of triple seven. Groups of 3/4 " inch for 3 shots are not uncommon. Right now #209 priers are cheaper than #11 caps and easier to find.

Boolit Master
    They will probably work up close an w light loads, as posted above, u will have to try heavier loads at longer yardage, I have had no luck.

Boolit Master

I could develop a dependable hunting load with patched rb's in my 209x50. Did some light plinking loads like those above but anything much more than 30 yards they would pattern not group. I'm talking a 2-3 foot pattern . Seem twist rate is far to fast.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find a 1 in 66 inch twist barrel for it!
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    you can, but with the fast twist and slallower grooves, you have to keep loads way down. I usually shoot around 40 grns. (~30-50) shooting them hotter will just wreck accuracy, so its for either cheap plinking, or loaded down for close range small game.

It don't sound like you're good 50 yard deer ML then. I don't want to take a chance I will dinner dear I'd rather have a clean kill.

Banned
    i have an encore and i use miniballs(i think, you can buy them at lgs or you can make them like i do). at 100 yards 3 shots can go 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" depending on if you like 2f powder or 2 - 3 pellitzed powder. i like the 2f(80gr) with 2 pellitzed powder comes second.
    i never shot round balls before, in my lyman flintlock i have shot them. and i like powerbelts(makes a real nice cloverleaf at 100yds) but they got to expensive for my taste.

Boolit Master

Yes you can

Dang tootin you can. I've killed deer with them. If your barrel is pit free or just a few minors they can still be very accurate even with the fast twist. I've used Hornady, Speer, and Lee cast balls and the Lee cast were the most accurate, though I cannot recall the actual dia. of the Lee and all balls had different diameters. I've used 60 to 150 gr of Pdex Select for my testing, shootin, and hunting. Past 100 gr will mess up the patch at least in my gun and you may not even hit the target with 150 gr. I generally played in the 70 to 100 gr weights, (hunting weights). All patches used were .018. I did have .015 patches, but after a few test they were put back in the ammo box. This could have been because of my BARREL dia, ball sizes, or temp. All balls would stay inside of 2" @ 50 yds given the accompanying load. Scratching the head surprisingly, the main factor in getting below the 2" threshold was the lube which made a BIG difference. Lubes used were Maxi lube, Bore Butter, Spit, TC #13, and Precision Lube 2000. Testing was done in December in MI, so about 25 degrees from a bench style platform with light in the woods winds. All shots had a previous wet and dry patch application to accompany the clean cold barrel hunting scenario. The Lee ball with a .018 patch lubed with Precision Lube 2000 and 100 gr of Pdecks Select and I think the primers were '70s & '90s 209s or 157s, but the general 209 would probably give a very very close resemblance. With this load being compressed with palm of hand just gently firmly on powder got under an inch making one ragged hole that you wouldn't have to lift a pencil to have the pencil go to all five holes. This load in my GUN was an easy 100 yd load and past to the 125 yd range. Though, with the RB if the winds got to be in the 10 to 18 mph gust a ponderance would pop up getting out to the 100 yd mark and beyond before the shot. So, yes the fast twist barrel will still shoot a RB accurate IMO to kill a deer dramatically to the 100 yd mark. You may just have to try a couple of hundred test groups with various patch thicknesses, balls, powder types, primers, lubes, and compression levels without damaging the ball all with a barrel in real decent shape.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.