Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need 45 Colt load data for rifle, Cast or Jacketed

10grs. of Unique has worked well for me with 250gr.FN or 255gr.SWC.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Banned

For longer range in a rifle with 250 grainers, BD and HS6 are my powders of choice. Stay within book max for both, you might use WLP or other mild magnum primers with the BD.

Gear

Boolit Master
    I use Unique 9.5 gr with a 250 gr FP bullet or for a more potent load the same bullet with 31 gr of AA 1680 and a magnum pistol primer. Both shoot well in my Marlin and Winchester trapper.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    My 45 Colt stuff is "handgun only" for a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, so I can't help you much.

It occurs to me that in a carbine this caliber gets some real steam up and running--why didn't Winchester, Marlin or someone else chamber lever carbines for this caliber like they did for the 32-20, 38-40, and 44-40? My guess is that Colt adapted the WCF rounds to their revolvers--but Winchester was unwilling or unable to adapt the Colt round for some reason. Maybe a design patent or something like that......?

If someone has the 4-1-1, I'd sure like to hear it.
    Original .45 Colt Ammo had a very small rim. Just enoough to stop the cartridge from going all the way into the chamber. They had no extractor groove and straight cases loaded with Black Powder were tough to remove from chambers when fouling began to get thick in the chambers.

Modern .45 Colt cases have an extractor groove and the rim is a bit more substantial so the extractors in modern lever guns can grab them and pull them from a chamber.

Boolit Mold

I am looking for a good load for my 45LC Henry Golden Big Boy as I'm worried about pressures. I have 200gr/300gr lee mold. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45CBigBoy View Post
    I am looking for a good load for my 45LC Henry Golden Big Boy as I'm worried about pressures. I have 200gr/300gr lee mold. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...
    6.5 grains of red dot has worked with both bullets for me in both my ruger Blackhawk and my win 94. 9 grains of Unique with a 250 grain bullet is an excellent load as well(Provided you can find any Unique)
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my .45 Colt Rugers I use 7.2 grains of Bullseye, same charge that I shoot in my .44 Magnum and .44-40 Marlins.

Keeps things simple. I had Accurate cut me 45-259EB, which is the same profile as 43-230EB, just increasing the diameter.

Attachment 167518
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    45CbigBoy, I have a Henry BBS in 45C. I use the Lee 452-200 rf, with 9.3 gr of Unique, and have gotten a 2-1/4" group at 25 yds, kneeling unsupported with iron sights (blurry due to my 67 yr old eyes). Load came from the Lyman Cast bullet handbook 4th ed. Shows 9.4 gr Unique as max, I just chose to go just below. It's basically a 75 yd load for deer, which is what I bought the rifle for. I would like to try the Lee 452-255 RF, as it has a higher ballistic coefficient. BTW, my boolits were 50% WW, 50% soft lead and 2 % tin (pewter) The few I have recovered from dirt showed no deformation, so I may cut back on the WW. They do seem pretty hard, after they have been sitting for a while. Velocity listed for the above load is 1264 fps, out of a 16" barrel. The BBS has a 20" barrel. Hope this helps.

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the information, I'm currently in Korea but will return to the states soon. I will try out the recommended loads you all recommended as I have all three powders and again, I appreciate the information...

Boolit Buddy
    try 6-8 gr's of Trail boss. it works in my revolvers and my uberti Henry for cowboy shooting. with 200or260 gr. bullets and /or a model 25 Smith

Boolit Master

Wow, I have not logged into 'cast boolits' for a while but was grateful to hear from you. As far as 45 Colt, that has been a passion fr a few years. As you know, 45 Government in 1873, was a proprietary cartridge, and so the 44-40 and 38-40 were borne. The 45-40 as it were, did not come to civilians for a while. Heck, the Winchester (or others) lever action carbines in 45 Colt did not happen until the 1980s.

Flash forward, they did. Flash even farther, so did I. My dad has an 1899 Colt 45, which is an amazing shooter. Long story, quite a horse trade. 10 or so years ago, I finally acquired a 45 Colt rifle, an H&R 1871 Buffalo single shot, it was on sale when they were closing out. Wow, what a fun gun. After that I had to get a Ruger Vaquero .45 (old model) yo go with it.

You know the capabilities of this cartridge in a rifle, so do I. I also know the bruising of a case colored steel butt plate rifle can cause!

I would love a lever gun in this caliber, I know they are out ther, I'm just looking for the right price. Favorite load has been a 454 RB loaded at about 900fps which was accurate as heck, and killed tin cans dead. I hate tin cans.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12