Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: AA#9 in 357 Mag.

AA#9 in 357 Mag.

I picked up a pound last week , got around to shooting a few groups today in the GP100 . So far I like it , accuracy was real good and I can tell it has a lot more power over my Blue Dot loads. I was using a NOE 360-180-WFNGC over 12.2 gr. AA#9 seemed to be the sweet spot. These were .358" , I'm work around the 12.2 some and try some sized .360". Sorry no target pic's . Anyone else use this powder ? I was looking for H110 or 300MP ( they are non existent
    in our area ) store owner suggested this over H110 .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

I absolutely love AA#9. It gives me top notch accuracy with high velocity and smells good to me after being lit off. I've used several pounds in my 41 mags, 357 mag and 357 sig

Boolit Master

I shot a lot of it behind the Lyman 358429 173 gr bullet using 13.5 grs. Velocity and accuracy comparable to 15 grs of 296 (1300 FPS out of a 6" bbl.)
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Thought I would try a regular SPP to see if it was at all like 2400 and use of a magnum SPP is a must. Most of the loads either didn't fully ignite and some were just squibs. Using AA's data for a 158gr bullet I found I didn't want to even come close to max loads as extraction got sticky but beyond mid level and Win primers started looking funny. But accuracy was top notch.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Buddy
    It's my favorite in my 1894C and 4" S&W 19-4. Super accuracy and speed using Lyman's 358156 GC boolitt. It pushes that bullet @ 1368 fps from the 19-4 and 1800 fps from the carbine. Sized .3595", Javalina Alox lube with a standard small pistol primer. The alloy is ACWW + 2% tin which when fully dressed weighs 164 grains. The charge (and work up to this very carefully) is 15.0 grains of ACC#9.

Right now the Lot of ACC#9 and Alliant 2400 that I'm working with have the same burn rate grain for grain and the same velocities when loaded grain for grain. I don't know how another Lot # may be, so when I open a new container with different Lot #, I too will have to start low and work up. No leading in either the 19-4 or the 1894C which by the way is a micr-groove barrel.

358 Win

Boolit Grand Master
    I use it in my .357 w/ a 220 grain boolit (see Glen Fryexl's article on the "Bullet for all Seasons"). It's a wonder on hogs.

Moderator Emeritus

I believe my lots of WC820 are the equivalent of AA9. I need a heavy bullet for caliber for proper ignition and when I use that I am OK with standard primers. Heavy crimp and I use my minimum weights in 357 158 gr, 170 + preferred, 245 in 44 and 250 in 45. This is not a powder for light bullets as it burns best with pressure.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

AA9 is an excellent powder for magnum handgun rounds, but it does have a quirk folks need to know. When you start to reach max pressure, the pressure will take a spike and put you over the top real quick. So sneak up on max pressure load real slow.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.