Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Thoughts on the SIG P290 in 9mm

Boolit Grand Master

Thoughts on the SIG P290 in 9mm

For the last few months I have been going back and forth thinking about getting a .380 of some sort. I saw the article on gunblast about the shrunken 1911 .380 by Browning, but that seems to me to be a range sized gun, if I was going to carry something that large, I would want a more capable caliber.

I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to the new miniature handguns for about the last decade so I am not very familiar with what is out there that is decent. By decent, I mean reliable, reasonably accurate and somewhat comfortable to shoot. Easy to carry would be a plus.

I had to go to the doctor for a checkup last week so I took the opportunity to check out some gunshops that I don't normally get to. I looked at the SIG 238 and 938, but can't really warm up to pocket carrying a single action, belt or shoulder holster fine but not in a pocket.

He had one of the 290's in .380 there and I liked the way it felt, I could even see the sights. Somehow I think the 9mm option would be better for social work if it ever becomes necessary. Anybody have any experience with these little pistols?

I do know I don't like striker fired guns, the trigger reminds me of a MK5 flare pistol.

Thanks,

Robert

The Sig 290 has a very long trigger pull, I personally don't care for it. Taking the gun apart for cleaning is a bit of a hassle. I compare this to the ease of taking down a 229.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a shorter trigger pull from Sig it is available in their custom shop.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Grand Master
    I was a bit underwhelmed by the one I handled.

It was blocky feeling and a bit heavier than the Kahr PM 9, though not a lot. I think it is a little too small to suit me, but a little too large and heavy for pocket carry. The 290 is quite a bit cheaper than the PM9. 479 bucks versus 699 in the shop I was in. I did not shoot the Sig and can not comment on reliability or accuracy, but to my way of thinking, it is too heavy for pocket carry and too small for IWB. I prefer the much lighter 380's like the LCP or 3AT for pocket carry and a larger compact, like a Shield, a Kahr mid-size or a Glock compact for general concealed carry. Sometimes I think we get carried away with the tiny gun complex. The function of a gun is to shoot accurately with a reasonably powerful cartridge, the ability to conceal is secondary. Where concealabilty the sole criteria, we'd all carry NAA mini 22 Shorts.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 07-13-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I pocket carry the P938 in a Alabama holster its a fine little gun shoots well not to small or to big Attachment 144476
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Just went thru this myself. Smith M&P Shield is the one I chose. I like the trigger on it better than the Glock 43. They both felt good in my hand but the Shield won out for me and its about 50.00 cheaper than the glock. You can check out a comparison of the 2 with Hickok 45 shooting them on You tube he does a great job testing guns IMO. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Man
    I owned a p290rs in 9mm for about a month maybe 6 weeks around this time last year. Mine had issues from the word go. Light primer strikes even after 3 spring/firing pin changes. Very finicky about what ammo it would feed. I wanted to like it so bad but could not make it reliable enough to stake my life on. I ended up getting a shield.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the advice, still thinking on it.

There is supposed to be a new indoor range a few towns away, I just may go see what they have for rental guns. It can't hurt to actually see how some of these tiny guns actually work, or not...

Robert

I do like mine but light primer strikes were initially a problem with handloads and WSP Primers. Factory ammunition worked well before the Sig fix and all makes of primers now work as advertised in handloads. Sig made the primer issue good on their dime and changed the dimning front night sight as well. The gun's a bit too heavy for pocket carry,I'd say, but is reliable enuf for CC. I regularly carry mine in an OWB holster of my own design. Too, I am a revolver guy so the long trigger pull doesn't bother me. Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 07-18-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I have the P290 RS model which addressed the light strike problem.I have had no problems with mine.It is heavier than it looks and as Rod said its really too heavy for pocket carry.I use a hybrid in the waist band holster.The double action trigger is long but it's smooth . Craig