Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: ground covers?

Perm-Banned

ground covers?

i use a lot of crown vetch and am very happy with that on the yards edges. looks good, covers good and the weeds and grass dont stand a chance. anything else i can use? im in north western ne. at 4000 ft. what can grow here and be as good as crown vetch? i like different things and im sure i am missing out on a couple of good ground covers. i want them to come back each year with out replanting.

Moderator Emeritus

Clover is taking over my lawn...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Knap weed and quack grass are doing wonderfully in my lawn. In this drought, they are the only green plants.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

That should put you in zone 4b. How much sun/shade? I'm guessing mostly sun if crown vetch is doing well. How tall were you thinking you want? Pachysandra is probably about the hardest to kill. It's stoloniferous, so it will tend to spread quite a bit. Mint will do the same thing, plus you can pick it and put it in iced tea. There are also many varieties of fancy miscanthus (grasses) that should do well. For shady areas, look for varieties of lamium, ajuga, pulmonaria, brunerra, vinca, etc. that are hardy in zone 4. Stay away from euonymus and english ivys; they'll choke everything else out.