Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee quick trim

Boolit Mold
    I've used a Lee trimmer in the past and was satisfied until I recently found a different case trimmer. It's called WFT (worlds finest trimmer) and can be ordered through Sinclair. It fits into a drill and after adjustments one can easily trim 15 to 20 cases a minute. The down side is it's caliber specific and costs $65. Not to bash Lee or steal your thread but if one is looking for a trimmer consider the WFT.

Boolit Master
    my 223 WFT works ok, my 308 WFT trims so bad that case necks have chips and waves on them....

the lee trimmers work ok if you wun by hand. with a drill, you will wear down the pin.

my lee 223 trimmer lasts approx 300 cases, and then the pin wears. I run low speed, low presure, and even added oïl, still got grinded down. screw that cheap stuff.

I use the lee trimmers for low volume calibers only.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    my 223 WFT works ok, my 308 WFT trims so bad that case necks have chips and waves on them....

the lee trimmers work ok if you wun by hand. with a drill, you will wear down the pin.

my lee 223 trimmer lasts approx 300 cases, and then the pin wears. I run low speed, low presure, and even added oïl, still got grinded down. screw that cheap stuff.

I use the lee trimmers for low volume calibers only.
    There is no pin in the trimmer being discussed here, you are talking about the old trimmer Lee has put out for years. This is not that. I have both and I agree, the pins eventually do wear out. The new trimmer seems to work very well as long as you keep them cleaned out as the brass shavings can build up and cause issues with consistent trim length.

Boolit Master
    for any volume, I guess a WFT is faster. Not 3 in one though....

Boolit Master

It appears there is confusion on the new trimmer. The new one works in your press using a standard shell holder. Also no insert that goes thru the flashole.
    For lots of cases get the drill adaptor.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Another nice thing about the QT is you can trim with the primer in! No need to have that little finger sticking thru to judge the length anymore. I do not use any drill power to do this. It takes too much effort to hold your heavy drill above the press and perform the task. 5-6 cranks of the knob and your are done and get some upper body exercise also. And I do A LOT of rifle cases!

banger

Boolit Master

Just bought the non-Delux (wellfare model) QT by Lee and it worked great for 200 pieces of 7mm08. Fast, clean and precise.. I'm going buy more of the Lee trim dies, I really like this thing and the price was great!

As Moonie stated- you have to swipe out brass shavings or your length will be off..It's in the instructions

Boolit Master

It works for me.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee de-lux Quick trim for 7 calibres and find it works very well. I have a mixture of the original `O` ring gauges and the improved Nylon.

I have not had any problems with cases turning in the gauges.

What I have found you must do is, keep the blades free of brass swarf and regulerly remove any debris from the case gauge and cutter body as you go along.

I also lube the cutter body very lightly with Ballistol so that it runs free and smooth.

I find that the Quick trim produces consistant results and the case ends are very neatly finished, definately a superior system to the old hand held Lee trimmers.

ukrifleman.

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    Is there anyone using the Lee quick trim setup yet.
    I am and it's perfect! I use it in a Lee Classic single stage press with highly repeatable results trimming 223 cases. I would buy it again.

I have the the Lee quick trim for every caliber I own and bought some diff blade setup: hand cranck, drill adapter, spare blades. I has whorked rather well since now and only brocke one plastuc collar due to the fact I used a too fast elecric drill. cause it works also without the collar I hav no regrets at all

Take a look a the trim-it ll trims and chamfers the case at the same time, fits in drill, works like the giraud trimmer just $300.00 cheaper. cost on brownells on sale is $109.00 plus $19.00 for cal. Collar. Google a YouTube and check it out. Works great.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

IMHO the matter with the LEE QT is only from the dies bolt wich get screwed in from the radial pressure applied by cranking on the die. Not ythat I bash thi system. Is good (cheap self centering feature) for assial forces ie when sizing, seating, or crimping, but iis lacking when the action tendt to screw in it. Simple solution as per pics. Fit a screw on the bolt and tourn it upside down so to have metal face contacting the press and the rubber on the upper side.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76064.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	152458

Boolit Buddy
    I got the Deluxe Trimmer and a 30-30 Die

I'm no Bench-rest shooter, but I just wanted my brass trimmed to one consistent length.

I just can't get the QT to make the brass lengths the same. I have to keep checking and measuring every few cranks of the handle, it's taking so long.

The problem is, it feels like it is always cutting and does not have a 'stop' set for 30-30 WCF.

As an experiment, I took one of my 30-30 brass that had reached 2.040

Trimmed and kept turning, the brass is now at 1.998 and it still wants to keep on trimming. Surely that's too much cut already ?

Is this right? I have the knurled Spacer Collar that came with the Cutter assembly in place, and I adjusted the black rotating collar that has the 10-clicks of adjustment to make the minimum trim.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Lee quick trim

lucly my collar whent south fast. being only a spacer i swapp it with nylon washers (may be i am wrong but think they are from a Cd box) and have brass leveled from spacers

Sent from my C6903 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the already over-trimmed 30-30 case and see if the Lee QT was nearing bottoming-out.

Nope, a few more kranks and we're at 1.985" and it STILL wants to trim the neck down even more.

At this rate, I'll be making pistol brass....

??

Lee quick trim

need revisibg the die height? the die is shaped as the reference cartridge. impossible trimming if brass not protrude. havent tried it myself but I think that if you fit on shell holder a propper trimmed brass and adjust the dies height so that mouth is flush with the hole in the die you should have same height brass, except the one wich was jet undersized

Last edited by Motard; 11-20-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Motard - thanks for helping. The Instruction leaflet supplied doesn't make it clear to do this at all. In fact, I followed the Leaflet instructions and also the Lee Precision Website video on setting up the QT perfectly. It seems it could never actually work if setup as instructed...

Your idea makes more sense, but then, how is the human eye to judge the mouth of the brass neck being at the right height into the die, and if it was set level, how could the female chamfer blades possibly work?

I'm completely perplexed.

setting height with a dummy rounds can help. thought the femal chamferring ney not work but you can remove it and the have pass tge brass with a fast wipe in a second moment
    or tou nay try to shimm the tool so that it stooos cutting

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I think your method might work.

I pulled the Cutter out with the Chamfer Blade trio in, held a case against it, the Chamfer Trio are cutting, not just chamfering. Wonder if the spring pressure that pushed the Chamfer Trio ahead of the main Cutter Blade face, is too strong?

Will investigate more tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast