MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do on to others?

Boolit Buddy

do on to others?

Well my 71 hour work week just ended and it's time for some R&R. I took my boat out to a local lake for a few hours of bass fishing, launch the boat and make a run to my favorite fishing hole. About 15 min into my run down the lake my overheat buzzer started going off. I turned to see if any water was coming out of my outboard, there wasn't so I shut off the motor. Well, as luck would have it my damn impeller to my water pump sheered the key 10 miles from the ramp, great!!!

I used my trolling motor to start heading back and was flagging down anyone I saw along the way. Funny thing was no one was stopping. 5 hours later my battery died leaving me to paddle the remaining 4 miles or so. Finally, a guy stopped and asked what had happened. When I told him his response was "well that sucks, at least your almost there". He then ran back to the ramp that was now about 1/2-3/4 of a mile away.

The whole 12ish hours that it took me to get back I was thinking about the numerous occasions that I have towed someone back to the ramp. Now I'm only 30 years old and I guess I'm one of a few left that follows the golden rule. Though the last couple hours of my journey my thoughts turned to vengeance (see if I'll ever help anyone again) I know that if given the chance I'll give aid to those in need.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Mate, there should be an offence for failing to help a fellow boater. To leave someone stranded just cause you got fish to catch is a disgrace. I cannot believe that people would not stop and help. I ain't been fishing in so long it's a shame, but my other hate when I am out is that mong that has to blast past at wide open throttle while I am casting lures to snags.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    That's just wrong.

The new "normal" that I am seeing here, mostly with 20-30 something's is as follows . Do to Before Done to! The desire to help another out is just an imposition on another's free time. All of the young guy's that I work with are firm believers in the statement , "it's not my problem" ! Yet cannot believe that someone would walk by and not help them, an age of self entitlement.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    There is a thing called the circle of life. What you give out you get back.
    These have to be new boaters that haven't got a clue. They need to take a boating safety class.
    Remember 70x7
    Last edited by DCP; 07-12-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

We wont be held accountable for what others did to us, but what we did for others. Trust me on this, When the MAN comes around, all wrongs will be righted.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Buddy
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Maybe you were meant to limp back and contemplate the true meaning of life
    Sorry no one helped you
    Maybe you were being tested and passed with flying colors

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately I think Blaser.306 has hit the nail on the head.
    I live in a very rural area and there is more of a tendancy to stop and help others.

Boolit Buddy
    i have seen it many times as well, stopped on the side of the road with obvious problems and the cars that whiz by do not even slow down much less move over to give some room.
    i was once walking home in shorts and a t-shirt at 5:30 in the morning. the air temp was in the low thirties, my truck had broken down and i slept in it for the night. home was 3.5 miles away, so in the morning i starting walking home. NO ONE stopped, not even the neighbors that lived next door!

Boolit Master

Big bummer that irks me.

Boolit Bub
    Hello Indiana Shooter. I wasn't on your water to help you recently but perhaps I can save you some grief in the future. I'm an old man and a very slow learner. Lately I've been reading two books about the human condition. I wish I would have had the knowledge in these two books when I was your age. The information in these two books might not make those other fishermen better people but it will certainly help you understand them and applying the information will make you a far better person

The Four Agreements. by Don Miguel Ruiz

Buddhism Without Beliefs. by Stephen Bachelor

Both available cheap on eBay and Amazon

Boolit Master
    Been there and done that.
    Our rubber impeller sheared off the ears on the pump. Monday with no one on the water. Lake was about ten miles long and I rowed about a mile before I got somewhat smarter and tilted the outboard out of the water for less drag. Water was calm then a storm blew in. Rained like hell. My wife was soaked, and afraid. I paddled about four miles or more.
    I was exhausted and sure that God was out to get me.

No alarm on the outboard so I cooked the top cylinder. Rebuilt the engine and sold that boat.
    That was forty years ago. That is the kind of lesson you remember for the rest of your life.

Back in the 70's and 80's ( my younger days) My friends and I virtually lived on the river, and helped quite a few stranded people. I just can't imagine just leaving them to paddle back. But I do tend to think that the attitude has surely changed over the last 30 + years and find it a shame!

Banned
    Poopy heads will be poopy heads*, and age does not factor into that. (trust me, some of the most unpleasant people I have met were older (un)gentlemen). They'll get theirs some day. Don't let that stop you from being kind to others, giving them a hand when their down, and doing what's right. Be the better man. You may not be rewarded in this life, but you will in the next.

*(Edited for the mod since PG level language (not PG-13, but PG) is apparently not allowed)
    Last edited by quickdraw66; 07-13-2015 at 03:40 PM.

That's a bummer. I haul in 1 to 2 boats each year on a lake we stay at throughout Spring/Summer. I've given gas to several folks that run out far from their dock. No charge. It's our unwritten "rules" on the water pledge.

If it happens again, strip down and put on a bikini. I'm sure you will get folks to stop.

Boating courtesy is dead, at least in Illinois. In my 50 years of fishing it seems folks in Missouri and Wisconsin slow down for you and are willing to help out others in distress.

When I see some bone head antics on the water (boat, jet ski, ect.), I usually spot an Illinois registration. Just sayn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master

The movie "pay it forward" has resulted in some people doing good deeds with the thought that someday they will reap the rewards. We have that attitude here on CB.

When you get some help that is a pay-back, you sometimes don't even realize it may have been a full circle of something you did in the past.

The local advocap partners with the University of Wisconsin to provide garden space for a small fee. One day I was tending my well established garden when I saw two middle age ladies just beginning to tend to theirs. I asked why they had waited until June 10th to start? Turns out they were both grade school teachers, couldn't get out there earlier. Their "garden" was a mass of well established weeds. It would take them 3-4 hours of hoeing to even begin to plant the seedlings they had just bought. I have a little Mantis tiller that while small does a great job. I said, here I'll show you how it works, you can use it to get the ground ready. They were profuse with thanks, they got 'er ready in about ¾ hour.

Several years later I was faced with a similar situation. I had just had my prostate removed, the recovery lapsed into garden time. I still had the Mantis, but it was going to take quite a while to get 'er ready. The guy in the next plot had just finished his plot with his Troy horse tiller. He said "I've got to go home for about an hour, use my tiller while I'm gone". Here's some gas in case it runs out. Having used one of the same tillers when my mom had her garden, I knew how it worked. I was done in 15 minutes, weeds gone, and tilled to a 6" depth. I too was profuse with thanks when he returned. The next day, it occurred to me that it was pay-back for my kindness from years before.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    There are jerks everywhere.
    If you live in a state that's what registration you will see the most .
    This isn't rocket science. Just sayn

How many people have taken a boating safety course?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

in Remebrance
    Reminds of quite a few years ago when my son was about 11 or 12, we lived close to one of the cut off oxbows from the Mississippi. He was heavy into fishing, I provided him with a 10' bateau and a 5 horse air cooled outboard. One day he encountered a couple of guys out of gas and towed them to the landing. They tried to give him $10, he wouldn't take it, told them I'm a Scout and we don't take money for helping others. Grew up to be a fine man, too. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master

I think there are regulations that you must assist a stranded boater on the water
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

your also responsible for any damage your wake causes.

I have been 'pretty fortunate' to have the attitude of not expecting help from anybody all my life and have had to figure things out myself since forever.
    if someone does offer to help it screws up my train of thought [plan], and I quite often refuse their offer before I even think about it.

this has the unfortunate side affect of me living in my own little world, and people being around tend to just aggravate me to no end, even if what they are doing has no bearing on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast