RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 03A3 NRA Sporter Build.

Boolit Master
    A far as I can tell all the military markings have been removed from the rifle. The only markings are the regular Sedgley markings on the barrel and the number 5 on the tang which is where Sedgley put the serial number. I've taken the action off the stock and couldn't find any assembly marks or numbers which is why I'm thinking it is a very low serial number Sedgley.
    Wish I could find somebody who really knows about Sedgley rifles and could tell me what I have. Mentioned Sedgley to a couple counter people at the LGS and got a totally blank look.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    I'm not sure if this would qualify as a 03A3 NRA sporter. Got it from my father's collection back in '91 after he passed on. It's a very low serial numbered Sedgley 30-06 with the orignial Lyman peep sight. I also have a Weaver 2 3/4 scope that came with the rifle.
    It's a nice shooter and in real good condition.Attachment 144631
    Always have lusted after an original Sedgley 1903… Left Handed Conversion…. You have a great piece there… Enjoy it.

Vendor Sponsor

It looks like all the pics I have of these rifles from older NRA mags. Sedgley Rifles had the distinctive stock with the Schnabel Fore End treatment.

Your's looks to be in great condition.

I'd shoot it and enjoy it for about the next 20-30 years and get your kids interested and then they could shoot it and enjoy it.

These guns were meant for the Average Middle Class person of the 30's, 40's and 50's to use as hunting rifles.

But a good current use if you aren't going to hunt with it would be shooting Short Range Silhouette with Cast Boolits. This is what I do with my Enfield #4 Mk1 currently, and it will be the main use for my NRA Sporter Replica when done. These guns are extremely well suited to that game.

You can also shoot jacketed bullet loads in the gun for Hunting or Long Range Silhouette except it is a little more frustrating shooting targets that are 500 meters away with iron sights.

It is not going to hurt that gun one iota to shoot it, and when that gun was made it was "State of the Art!" I personally prefer my guns from that era and if and when I get to go on a hunt I'll probably be taking a Rifle from that era as my primary gun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I haven't heard of any Sedgley reheat treated actions shattering.
    From what Hatcher wrote re heat treatment might have worked on the LN military rifles but was costly and uncertain.
    Some early production Springfield receivers, mostly 1901 versions, were sold off, often in un heat treated condition. Some were never heat treated and were used only to manufacture non firing drill rifles for cadet schools. IIRC Bannerman used some of these for his .303 chambered drill rifles he gifted to Britain early in WW1, I don't know if these were heat treated or not, but they were declared unsafe for firing live ammo and were scheduled to be destroyed in 1916, but some survived.

Boolit Master
    This company, Macon Gunstocks, has repro 1903 NRA stocks. Also a bunch of others. I have never dealt with them but it looks interesting. I have been thinking of a project like this myself.
    http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/S...RA-Example.htm

Vendor Sponsor

Macon has been out of stock on those for the last 2 years! I tried them many times. Also their stocks are Semi Inlet so there will be a lot of work to make it fit.

I still haven't heard back from Boyd's yet.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Vendor Sponsor

XS: they didn't have any in stock,,,, and wanted $200 for just the labor? You had to provide the wood?

Randy

Vendor Sponsor

I heard back from the Sales Manager of Boyd's today and he is interested in this project.

I gave him a link to this thread so that he could see pics of all the pretty guns. Our focus here is to clearly define the NRA Sporter Stock so that it could possibly be a Stock Item for Boyd's and provide a source for Stocks for Replica Projects like mine, and replacements for NRA Sporters that have bad wood.

Any other pics of these guns anyone has out there would be appreciated as additions to this thread.

Thanks Randy

Boolit Master
    If memory serves, the Sedgely Springfields were written up in a couple issues of The Rifle magazine a couple dozen years ago. The actions were annealed in Sedgeley's shop, the military markings and serial number turned or ground off, and the spline for the military sight removed from the barrel. A wavy pattern was often embossed on the top of the receiver to eliminate glare and add a custom touch.

The guns were allegedly proofed with oiled or greased military ball cartridges. If the actions stretched under this treatment, the barrel shoulder was set back a half turn, the chamber deepened and another extractor clearance cut. I remember a picture of a barrel breech with extractor clearances on both sides of the chamber, indicating that this had been done. The front sight was on a band, so it could be rotated vertical again.

Nobody was particularly exercised about this back in the day. Mauser actions of the same vintage were also soft and prone to stretch, and the 2900 ft/sec loading for the .30-06 was some years in the future. I can't recall that it was regarded as a safety issue even in the articles. Other articles did warn of the embrittled condition of some of the low numbered Springfield actions.

Vendor Sponsor

OK: Boyd's is interested but they have to have a certain number to do the stock.

Is anyone interested in a Repro Stock for an NRA Sporter? If so, I need you to say so.

You can restock an existing gun with bad wood, or build a replica shooter like I am.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I am posting a thread on the CMP Forums website and other websites as well.

Randy

Boolit Bub
    What I'd be really interested in is a repro Sedgely Stock…. but that's not likely to happen.
    I'm working on a G&H style for my 03 Sporter w/ Douglas #4 profile Bbl in 7x57. It is living temporarily in a Champion synthetic stock…. to aid my patience on not hurrying and screwing up the wood stock.

Mike
    Last edited by michaelcj; 08-03-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Several of the existing styles of Boyd's stocks could easily be re-profiled to the Sedgley style. All exterior work so it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

I have been out of it for the last week and a half and I am getting back into this project this week.

I put up a post on the CMP Forum as I felt that the CMP should be the ones to make this stock available since they could generate the numbers needed to make it happen. I got no help there however one of the CMP guys emailed me direct with an alternative which may work, and I will be exploring that also.

I am going to make this happen and it is a crying shame that the CMP thinks this will go nowhere. One of the reasons they gave was there were no butt plates available. I found mine in 20 minutes. The barrel band took a little longer but if that's all that is holding them back I could do a run of both in my shop.

I would Investment Cast the Butt Plates and use my original as the master.

I would build a die to modify existing Springfield Barrel Bands, which appears to be exactly what SA did .

more on all this as this project progresses.

Randy

Boolit Mold
    I am interested, please put me on your list

Vendor Sponsor

After several months of not moving this project I decided to give up on Boyd's They would only make a move if I would buy 250 stocks from them. Not gonna happen!

I contacted Macon Gunstocks and lucked out as the nice lady, Vicky in the Warehouse, found a nice NRA Sporter Stock. She knew exactly what I was asking for and put her hands on it in about 1 minute. It cost me $200+13 to ship and should be here early next week. A $200 bird in the hand,,, is better than a $150 bird that you only can see on a Website.

So I will update this thread as soon as it shows up.

Randy

Vendor Sponsor

OK this didn't go as planned. The stock showed up today and whereas she said it was about 85% there,,, 50% would be a more optimistic estimate. In short it looks like Ship!

There is not one usable reference line on the entire piece of wood. The only thing close is the mag well and even it is oversized with about a 1/32" gap on either side. I really don't know what they think they are doing, selling stuff like this?

The stock slightly resembles a NRA Sporter, but really any Springfield stock with the barrel band relief would.

This stock is not remotely worth $213. In fact $50 would be pushing it. The thing looks like it just came off the roughing duplicator and there was no attempt to get the top edges of the barrel channel even. The barrel channel is not even open at the muzzle end. They didn't even drill the Rear Trigger Guard Screw hole thru. They told me the cross bolts were in, except they aren't drilled thru, only the counter bores are there and they are in the wrong place.

Here's pics so you don't think I'm being too picky here. But I see 30+ hours to get this thing fitted shaped and ready to finish. There is literally nothing right on this stock.

Pretty disappointed, and this one is going back tomorrow.

Project back on hold.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-22-2015 at 06:20 PM.