RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crescent buttplate questions

Boolit Grand Master

Keep the velocities at gentlemanly levels, and start shooting it. It will turn you black and blue once, or maybe twice, and then you know the rifle. You don't perceive that you are doing anything different, but you just don't get beat up by it anymore. The closest thing I can relate it to, is riding a four wheeler over rough terrain. The first couple times you do it, you hurt for days afterwards, but then, you get the hang of it and you learn to move with the machine and it doesn't hurt you anymore. In fact, you learn to appreciate being able to feel the ground under the four wheeler. It's the same with steel butt plate rifles.
    Just a few days ago, I ran about 70 rounds through my 1886 with a steel but plate. The load was RD 350 over 30 grains of 4227 and a Dacron filler (1650FPS). There was a time when that would have been really painful, but I didn't have so much as a red shoulder when I was finished.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I am a smallish bodied person. Have several rifle with those curved body rearangers. I do not shoot them laying down on a bench. I shoot off cross sticks and for well over 30 years I am a much happier shooter. Any heavy thumper I own goes to the sticks. The 375 H&H can be a nasty shoulder wacker and cheek masher. But very survivable on cross sticks.
    Or set your bench shooting up so you are sitting straight up. Let your body roll with the recoil.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Yep! No leaning forward, pull her in tight and let your upper body rock back with the recoil. When I shoot prone with a rifle that kills on both ends, I put a pad between the buttplate and my shoulder. Only gun I have that has a recoil pad on it is the old Model '97 Winchester Trap Gun.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Ordered up the components today. A Lyman mould, some cases, RCBS "cowboy" dies and shell holder. Bought 1 pound of AA5744 to try out.

Still debating pan lube versus a sizer. I reckon I'll cast a few and see where they measure before making that decision. The sizer sure is convenient, and I have never tried pan lubing. Seems getting the boolits out of the lube cake can be quite the challenge.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Ordered up the components today. A Lyman mould, some cases, RCBS "cowboy" dies and shell holder. Bought 1 pound of AA5744 to try out.

Still debating pan lube versus a sizer. I reckon I'll cast a few and see where they measure before making that decision. The sizer sure is convenient, and I have never tried pan lubing. Seems getting the boolits out of the lube cake can be quite the challenge.
    Actually, they come out of the cake really easy. Just wait for the lube to cool to the point that it starts to shrink away from the sides of the pan. Then it should fall out of the pan nicely and the bullets will push out easily. Goes pretty quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12