Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old metallic reloaders more valuable than shotshell reloaders?

as Tony said there are advantages to loading shotshells, and the cost of the sub bores is one, but being able to load unique loads is another.

Nobody makes a Pumpkin Ball or Slug Load at 1100 fps as a factory load... I do. My shoulder is still in place after shooting a bunch of them as they are simply my normal trap loads with a ball instead of shot.

My shoulder required 3 trips to my Chiro after shooting just 2 rounds of Federal Slugs which turned out to be loaded to 1600+ fps in a 7 lb shotgun.

I no longer have this problem!

Reloading Shotshells falls right in with Loading Boolits, it is just slightly different but it all comes under the heading of Reloading.

People who load their own ammo tend to shoot more, and that's a fact.

I shot today. I sucked outright but I still pulled the trigger 50 times which is more than most did today. I shot all reloaded .303's with Cast Boolits. Next time it maybe .45 autos or my Skeet Gun. About the only time I shoot factory ammo is when I need cases to reload or shoot a .22.

As far as the relative cost of the equipment. I buy whatever it takes to accomplish what I want to do. I also shop for the best prices.

I am into "good deals." so I seldom pay full pop.

But if you compare Dillon Equipment or Hornady stuff to MEC shotshell loaders there is a significant difference. The reason for this is the manufacturing cost not the volume of sales. Numbers of used machines on the market also will affect prices. My Pacific DL266 in 12 ga. cost me $50 and was almost new. My Pacific DL266 in .410 cost me $250 and I was lucky to get it at any price. Point being less of the .410's were made, and now, none are made.

If you compare Dillon Shotshell loaders to Dillon Metallic loaders You will see a definite similarity, and also Hornady loaders to each other. Pricing of these machines used is either driven by condition or popularity. Some people just price stuff to get rid of it. MY Pacific DL366 sat in a guys garage for 20 years. I paid him $150 for it which was what he paid for it used 20 years earlier. It took me about 6 hours to tear it apart and clean it up. I now have a virtually new DL366 which will easily outlast me. I will easily get $350+ for that machine just because it is in excellent condition and all the parts are still made by Hornady.

Also I have a PW MetalMatic II which is a $500 machine but their Shotshell loaders are more even though they are similar in nature but the shotshell loaders are generally more complicated machines so they cost more.

I hadn't considered this earlier when posting on this thread but really comparing Dillon Metalic Presses to MEC Loaders is comparing apples to oranges.

If you compare machines within the same brand you will see that pricing is commensurate to the complexity of the machines and the used ones tend to be priced according to condition. This is the only really valid way to make this comparison. I know I will get nearly new price for all my machines when I decide to sell them.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-18-2015 at 02:53 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    That free time thing always gets in the way!
    Aye. The time issue rears it's ugly head again.

Boolit Master

The problem with the old progressives shot shell presses were alot of casted parts for use in a high production machine that saw very little full lube maintenance. Parts wear out, companies close and repair parts become unavailable which results in scavenging 2-3 machines to make kne functiong copy. About the most cost effective is the MEC but after a few years parts replacement becomes common and stuff goes outta adjustment easier.

The new loader or more $$$ (think PW and Spolar) are/were designed for high volume. Spolar went out on his own after working at PW and PW was not looking to improve their machines any longer and just run the course of the design.

So, to get back on topic; it is kinda hard to kill an old RCBS Rock Chucker made of a machined iron casting with hardened steel components when compared to a stanped steel machine or one using pot metal castings for high load use. Does an aluminum Lee press with 20 years of hard use, no maintenance and 50K of primer residue grinding the shaft and casting still hold its value. I think quality of materials and design trump the used market.

Oh BTW, Spolar shotshell reloaders rock!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12