Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Threads on SCBA CF 4500 PSI tanks / valves?

Boolit Master

Threads on SCBA CF 4500 PSI tanks / valves?

What I have read is that most all Fire Dept. use manifolds with CGA347 threads . Some PCP airguns and paint ball manifolds have DIN 300 threads. There seems to be two different thread lengths of DIN 300 connectors ,one 5 turn and a 7 turn. I have also read that there are different seals used between the tank neck and the hardware , manifold.

Do all SCBA carbon fiber 4,500 PSI rated tanks use 7/8" -14 threads? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is the thread size I read.

Any simple fairly inexpensive means to outfit a used SCBA tank with a pressure gauge , cut off and 1/8" male foster ? My useage would be as a bulk storage for toping off my 17 Cu.Ft. CF tank.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 07-11-2015 at 06:59 AM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

JoeB and airhog has the fittings you need. http://www.airhog.com/A13_Fill_Adapters.html
    If you try to make it yourself make sure the fittings are rated for 4500psi or higher. Your simple plumber fittings are not rated for that.

Forgot to mention you will need a fill whip and a bleed off valve to fill from one tank to the other.

Boolit Master
    I have the Guppy Deluxe version as marketed by Joe ,mine purchased from Tom at Shoebox compressors. Guppy came with whip with female on both ends, male foster on tank manifold. along with bleed valve plus tank and hose gauges.

I have spent a fair amount of time on Joe's site but some descriptions are a bit confusing to me. Should it really cost $200 to go from a SCBA tank with Firehouse CGA347 threads to a 1/8" male Foster?

Thanks for the warning but I know the difference between gas / water / shop air supply fitting and high pressure gas (welding gases),hydraulic and HPA. I have designed ,built and maintained hydraulic systems in plants which operated well pass 4,500 PSI and fitting did not cost an arm and a leg. Weakest point on a CF tank connection wise is the neck threads.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 07-11-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    NRA Patron Member

I think all you need is an adapter but I would need to see what you have before I can answer your question.

Boolit Master
    I have this

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/GuppyFQDxFQD.jpg

as pictured here

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/

Direct link to what I believe I need but unsure if it fits all SCBA tanks which I understand is a CGA 347 thread.

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/Male%20Foster-SCBA.jpg
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 07-11-2015 at 11:38 AM.
    NRA Patron Member

I did not look at their site for this . But you might try sales@breathingair.com Marvin

That should be the fitting you need but without seeing your tank I'm not totally for sure.

Boolit Master
    Ordered SCBA filling setup here without a hose but with male foster. I will use my 40" micro flex hose with female quick disconnects on both ends.

http://www.airhog.com/A9_Charging_Kits.html

Found a Scott 60 min / 87 Cu Ft SCBA 4500 PSI on E bay , looks good in photo and description said light usage .
    NRA Patron Member

Let me know how it works. I plan on getting one of the tanks off ebay soon and will be needing fill adapter.