Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: 180grn WFN .358

Boolit Buddy

180grn WFN .358

I just aquired a new model blackhawk in 357 and I have several other 357 guns and see several more in my future. I want a 180grn WFN mold to add to my arsenal. My question is do I need to go with a gas check to get top performance without alot of issues from a boolit like this being pushed in the blackhawk. I really dont want to fool with checks simply because its anothet cost incured and plus I don't have a lube sizer and pan lube only. Also accepting suggestions on molds Thanks Aaron.

Gaschecks in a handgun are not necessary.You can easily push a plain based boolit to around 1600fps with no leading IF the boolit has been properly sized and lubed to that gun.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

I have fired full power loads of 4227 & 2400 with that boolit no problem.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Waco and bzcraig are correct.
    As to a good bullet for use in your 357, I have fired untold thousands of Lyman 358430 in S&W model 19 and 27.
    Casting these out of air cooled COWW alloy and launching them with Unique powder was a recipe for superb accuracy and fun shooting. I outshot a guy once with a Mini14 using the model 19 and this bullet. The target was bowling pins at 65 yards, and I knocked over twice as many as him and with a lot more authority.
    I used to shoot at water balloons filled with air to about 2.5" diameter, and I was good to 75 yards most of the time.
    Ah, the good old days when lead was free and time was plenty! My philosophy was always bent toward heavy bullets in a hand gun, and if I didn't send 300 of them, it wasn't much of a range session. The shortage of lead drove me back to rifles, and I looked for the lightest bullets I could shoot (this more for accuracy than for lead conservation), but I still dearly love chunking ingots with a pistol. It just works better for me.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 07-09-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know about the easily part, and my eyebrows raise at the 1600 fps, but you absolutely do not need gas checks with a 180 grain boolit in the 357.

You do need to check your bore and groove diameters, and also your cylinder throats to ensure they are compatible, and you want a boolit in the 12-15 BHN range sized to fit the throats, but then "Bob's your Uncle." A good lube, (I use Ben's Red) and you're off to the races. I have had excellent results with a 180 WFN over 14.5 grains of H-110, which is a max load according to Speer, but shoots very well from a Rossi carbine. I bought mine from a custom caster, but the boolits appear to be similar to the NOE below, except the ones I got had a single crimp groove.

I have not used this boolit in my revolvers, preferring the lighter 358 -665 or an MP 359-640 160 grainers in those.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys thats exactly what I expected I just wanted to make sure before I purchased something this will be my first mold other than a lee kinda looking foward to my first nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    Thanks guys thats exactly what I expected I just wanted to make sure before I purchased something this will be my first mold other than a lee kinda looking foward to my first nice one.
    NOE makes nice molds. I own several. If you want a true custom piece of art, do yourself a favor and check out Tom's work at Accurate Molds. You will NOT be disappointed...
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Moderator Emeritus

I have a six cavity group buy, i plain-based three cavities that shoot fine in the 357's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

bhn22
    Go straight to the bullets designer for your mould. He's a little more expensive than others, but Verals quality is impeccable, as are his bullets performance: http://lbtmoulds.com/

No, you can't pay by credit card.

Boolit Master

I have the NOE single crimp groove ,1 cavity PB & the other GCed , guess which 1 gets used the most ?? ,that`s rite the PB 1 & the guns & I like the solid. Mine drop out dressed come close to 187gr. They make nice holes , entry & exit!!!

Wish I had this boolit in 5 cavity!!!. I also have NOEs 358429 in 5 cavity & it`s a keeper also , all the bands drop at 360 with cow.

GP
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    Lbt will make you a mold that fits Your gun.
    He is the guy for the wfn bullets.
    I just got done working up loads for my 44 mag with his 280 wfn pb and could not be happier. The mold casts as good as my accurate molds but the sprue plate is head and shoulders above any others I have used.
    If you choose lbt it will be the "bar" your others will be judged upon.

ps the 280 wfn cracked the steel plate in half and that's just fun.

Dang, my 165gr HPs only do 1235fps. You got 180s doing 1600fps, Im doing something wrong.

I shoot cast at 1750fps, out the 45/70, have never leaded any of the 3 barrels I use
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison