RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 32 caliber revolver for grizzly bear

Boolit Buddy
    Cops are civilians the same as we are. If you are not subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice you are a civilian. Sorry for the rant but this is a sore spot for me.Art

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Agree totally. I used to work as a criminal records clerk for an agency and it irritated the crud out of me being called a "civilian". Maybe they thought that receiving lots of DOD welfare made them another branch of the armed forces.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 07-11-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Cops are civilians the same as we are. If you are not subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice you are a civilian. Sorry for the rant but this is a sore spot for me.Art
    Who said otherwise?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I'm guessing cops taste just as good as civilians!

Dick
    9.3x62AL, here's your culprit. But we're conflating grizzlies with brown bears, and taliking about .32 acp vs .458 for protection. So I move we throw out the charges against Sixshot on grounds the entire proceeding is out of order.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know I sure as hell was a civilian the whole time I did cop work. I don't know where people get the idea that peace officers aren't civilians.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Favorite gun for Polar bears was a .222. But not when a bear considered you dinner. .22 rimfire has killed about as much as anything but room for error is huge.
    My friend killed a deer and did experiments on head shots with a .177 pellet gun and got into the brain.
    I had a neighbor in Ohio that was shot through the head with an 8MM Germain bullet and survived. He was a little off but got along fine. My brother in law was stitched from a Korean machine gun and lived a long time until cancer got him.

9.3, the agencies themselves create this myth, at least they do nowadays. The place I used to work at called themselves a "paramilitary organization." When I think of paramilitary I think of a bunch of guys who haven't shaved or bathed in awhile running around with AK-47's and RPG's, not a bona fide police department. The tacticoolization of law enforcement is about the silliest and most unnecessary thing I've ever seen, it causes me to have less respect for them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    It was "tongue in cheek" fellas, come on!

Dick

Boolit Master

Dick
    My last shift was in 95 degree weather and I was wearing my vest, aka, my easy-bake-oven. Not only would I refuse to eat anything that smelled like me by the time the shift was over, I didn't even want to smell me. I would hope smelling like that would keep me safe from any self-respecting bear cause one whiff and he would decide to eat something that smelled appetizing. And I agree, my days of not being a civilian ended when I got out of the service, and I couldn't wait to be a civilian again.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    My sources in the LEO community inform me that the correct terminology for circular pastries with a hole in the center is "power rings".
    Every reference to them in my area seems to be "cop circles".

Boolit Buddy

Dick
    OK the whole read has me smile'n,but that has made me laugh!
    When I was a young daring man without a thought to"will it work when I shoot".I shot a black bear in Alaska whit a 10 inch Contender using the 30 Herrett pushing a 130 gn boolit. Thank God for the eyeball channel to the brain.
    So I can laugh today,but please to be so reckless as to think of using a 32 on a Griz period!
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Banned

I remember fixing a revolver long ago in Cleveland, .38 S&W. I needed to test it so I piled a bunch of 2X4's on the back floor of my old mans car. I shot a cylinder full from over the front seat and every boolit was only stuck half depth in the first board.
    I read reports of cops shooting deer hit by cars with .38 specials and had slugs flatten on skulls. Darn, a .22 is better then that.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a revolver, but I have a CZ VZ 61 Skorpion 32 acp. I reckon that expending a full 30 round magazine on a grizz ought to at least put a grin on his face before I

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    My last shift was in 95 degree weather and I was wearing my vest, aka, my easy-bake-oven. Not only would I refuse to eat anything that smelled like me by the time the shift was over, I didn't even want to smell me. I would hope smelling like that would keep me safe from any self-respecting bear cause one whiff and he would decide to eat something that smelled appetizing. And I agree, my days of not being a civilian ended when I got out of the service, and I couldn't wait to be a civilian again.
    Well in bear country just wear you're vest ............

Banned

Remember cork guns? Now you can shoot plastic balls.
    Much humor here and it is appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Well in bear country just wear you're vest ............
    I knew that was coming, but I don't even want to wear that thing here in Texas, although I guess it would help keep me warm up North, well, maybe not warm, but warmer.

Banned

The old .36, .44 and .45 cap and balls were deadly and even a pepper box across a card table made you drop cards. All kinds of small guns were made for people but a .32 for Grizz makes you compost.

I sure am glad grizzlies don't live here. I don't think it would be much fun to mow grass with a four pound chunk of steel on my belt.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm definitely with you, Fergusson, about the militarization of the police. I can still remember a time when cops thought of themselves as just another member of the community, and were considered as honorable as anyone. Now, with the "us against them" attitude many are trained with today, the average citizen has taken notice - and not without some real fears - of the results that attitude brings with it. It's disfunctional, really, but with all the bad guys being more or less "paramilitary" today, it's easy to see how this can happen. it's still sad, though. I asked a now long retired cop once, about all the new troopers that were coming out of trooper school with this "us against them" attitude. This was shortly after the Hell's Angels and Outlaws were putting shotguns in their motorcycle handle bars, and had killed several troopers with them. In his slow, deep toned drawl, he just said, "Yeah, they've bot to get out on the streets and get the hell beat of of them a couple of times, and they'll settle down and make good troopers, then." That's not how it's turning out now, though. That "us against them" attitude gets ingrained even MORE when they come out on the short end of the stick, and they do everything they can to prevent that, and as a result, we have the terrific tendency for many cops to concentrate on a single offender. This too, is a result of the lib's effects on the laws and courts to want to indict cops who are in ANY way questioned when they have to kill or shoot a man. So .... NOW we have vastly larger number of cops doing what considerably fewer once were able to do.

Cops often have the hardest jobs in the world, so we reward them with what? Donut jokes???? No dang wonder they can get so resentful! It's US who've "gone crazy," and as a result, they clump together more closely and tenaciously, merely from a survival and self-defense posture that we FORCE upon them! Are we "moderns" crazy, or what????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hendere View Post
    I was backpacking in brown bear country with a friend years ago and he told me that he was afraid of bear so he was carrying. … He pulled out a 32 ACP.
    Beretta markets a "Tomcat" in .32ACP. That's about right.
    I carried my 1911 the last time I hiked in bear country but decided ahead of time I would only use it if I had no other options. Even a fatal wound with an 'appropriate' cartridge does not necessarily mean "drop right there in your tracks." I watched my dad shoot a deer in the head at about 60 yards with a 30-30. It bounced off the forehead and blew a hole in the skull about 1"x2". The deer jumped and ran about 75 yards before it crawled under a fallen tree to die. Bears are less likely to retreat.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast