RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 32 caliber revolver for grizzly bear

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I'm guessing cops taste just as good as civilians!

Dick
    My thoughts are that older admin types probably taste better than tough, sinewy young patrol officers. But that's just a guess.

Having covered the retreat of my wife and I from a berry patch that a black bear had title to, the Redhawk x 44 Magnum didn't seem all that powerful and comprehensive at the time. It was "just a black bear", and he DID get the bulge on us--mostly because we couldn't see him. We could hear him up close, and smell him--and things like critters that can tear you a new aspiration are among those preternatural low-brain instinctive parts of one's psyche that you prefer to not have stirred up. %$# *&^% bear.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm guessing cops taste just as good as civilians!

Dick
    Rumor has it that cops taste just like donuts!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I was 16 walking along a stream that fed into the Torch River with my trusty 10-22 when I encountered a Black Bear Sow with a cub. There was less than a foot of water in the 6 foot wide stream and less than 30 feet betwixt us. She snorted and turned to face me as her cob scrambled up the bank behind her. I slowly faded back as she watched me intently and scrambled up a near by pine tree until she wandered off. That 22 was less than a B gun, as far as I was concerned. I'd carry a 32 in grizzly country only as a noisemaker. Mama didn't raise me to be bear chow.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

The 32 caliber revolver of whatever stripe is powerful enough to shoot yourself in the head and end your worries when the griz grabs you.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Hmmmmm.................
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Bub
    I'm new to castboolits but what I already like here over every other forum I've ever visited is that when someone posts something obviously tongue-in-cheek funny then here you don't have five or six "know-it-alls" jumping in calling him an idiot cuz "everybody knows you cant do that"

Thanks for the great humor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    People laugh this off. But if a 9mm with suitable bullets will drop a grizzly, then a .327 should do it. You either get a central nervous system hit, or you don't.

If you don't, a .338 could leave you waiting for results.

I never had to stop a grizzly although I worked a a remote site in AK where a foreman asked me to bring my 18" 12ga double to work every day. The only job where that's happened.

BTW what's the ME of one piece of unaimed 00 buck? How is throwing nine them in a bear's general direction better than aimed fire with a hot .32?

I would feel pretty naked with a small/med revolver going pop-pop as a bear got closer. I've been there with a badger that kept rushing as I emptied a .45 into him and remember the stupid feeling as the slide locked open and he was 20' in front of me and still coming. He died moments later from multiple hits.

How many aimed rounds can you get off with a .327 vs a .475? Twice as many?

That's double the opportunity to brain the bruin.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=108
    This is mostly a pretty realistic assessment, although I would say any pistol, while better than no pistol, is a pretty forlorn hope once a grizzly is as close as "hand to hand" implies, and you don't get a perfect choice of target area. The only difference between .44 magnum on grizzly and .32 revolver (as usually constituted) on WWF wrestler is that the grizzly isn't faking, and hasn't seen on TV that you fall down when you are shot.

You make a good point about the buckshot, but I suspect that as with lion, the shotgun load would have a greater effect than the same sort of missiles hitting in succession. The latter may provoke the sort of steady advance which is pretty well unstoppable in man or beast. This is just conjecture, but maybe there is more devitalizing effect when the shock-wave in tissues, creating a temporary cavity, collide from opposite directions. I would guess that a .32 like the Skorpion submachine-gun would be far more effective than the same number of pistol-shots.

I've never seen a wild grizzly in my life, although I was introduced to a tame one, who conducted himself like a gentleman and clearly liked me. Mind you, the same applied to the homicidal lunatics on a professional visit (honest!) to the Scottish State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. The big cats don't harbor grudges, but those two may, and are smart enough to remember old ones. If the bear is ten or twenty yards off, and looks about to charge, I'd suggest backing slowly away, and if he follows, investing one of your .32 rounds in a shot in the air. He just might have learned to run when he hears a shot, and hitting him with six rounds instead of five isn't going to put you much worse off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    Don't we have a special section for humor ??
    Don't forget the pepper. Bears like some seasoning.

Boolit Master
    I'll never forget the time my wife and I were on a trail in the backwoods of northwest Montana, when we encountered a large black bear. I reminded my wife that I was carrying one of my .44 mag revolvers, and not to worry. At this point, she, an accomplished IHMSA handgun shooter herself, remarked,"Yeah, but I've seen you shoot!"
    At least it wasn't a .32 caliber, to remain "on topic"!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Probably better than the sticks and stones the Park Service is recommending for black bear:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/nature/black-bears.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I'll never forget the time my wife and I were on a trail in the backwoods of northwest Montana, when we encountered a large black bear. I reminded my wife that I was carrying one of my .44 mag revolvers, and not to worry. At this point, she, an accomplished IHMSA handgun shooter herself, remarked,"Yeah, but I've seen you shoot!"
    Nothing like some strong spousal support to forge that relationship, eh?......
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    --and things like critters that can tear you a new aspiration are among those preternatural low-brain instinctive parts of one's psyche that you prefer to not have stirred up. %$# *&^% bear.
    Funny how that works. Even if you've never heard the sound of a rattlesnake before, hearing one at your feet will make you jump. Out of your skin. No deductive process initiated let alone completed.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Black bears and even mountain lions are making a comeback here. Out of all the handguns I own (I have no big bores or magnums), I think my Glock 19 with 15 shots is the best choice for protection against them. I can shoot it well and FMJ or hard cast will penetrate into next week.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Probably better than the sticks and stones the Park Service is recommending for black bear:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/nature/black-bears.htm
    Yes, that one seemed a bit dubious to me. Sticks and stones landing near the bear might be good, as he isn't used to that, and the new is puzzling. Hitting him a smart one on the nose, by accident or design, might turn him into a bear with a sore head when he originally just wanted you to move on.

That page makes a lot of good points together with one possibly bad one. With an animal which normally lives by running down living prey, playing dead is a useful trick. A tiger, for example, isn't usually much interested in carrion, and may drop you. Fainting is good, which may be why we, and especially the smaller and weaker females, have that useful instinct programmed in. But the bear isn't really a pursuit predator, and acting dead is just a convenience to him.

The great big game hunters often tell us that a wounded animal rarely deliberately charges the man who has fired a shot. He runs, and if that happens to be in your direction, he does what bomber pilots term engaging targets of opportunity. If any is going to break that rule, though, other than the gorilla I think it would be the bear, which is brighter than most.

Some have also said that on a slope the bear's first lunge after being wounded is likely to be downhill, so you should never shoot uphill at a bear you aren't confident in incapacitating. I don't remember the words "big bore rifle" being used, but perhaps they thought that superfluous.

My sources in the LEO community inform me that the correct terminology for circular pastries with a hole in the center is "power rings".
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Yes, that one seemed a bit dubious to me. Sticks and stones landing near the bear might be good, as he isn't used to that, and the new is puzzling. Hitting him a smart one on the nose, by accident or design, might turn him into a bear with a sore head when he originally just wanted you to move on.

That page makes a lot of good points together with one possibly bad one. With an animal which normally lives by running down living prey, playing dead is a useful trick. A tiger, for example, isn't usually much interested in carrion, and may drop you. Fainting is good, which may be why we, and especially the smaller and weaker females, have that useful instinct programmed in. But the bear isn't really a pursuit predator, and acting dead is just a convenience to him.

The great big game hunters often tell us that a wounded animal rarely deliberately charges the man who has fired a shot. He runs, and if that happens to be in your direction, he does what bomber pilots term engaging targets of opportunity. If any is going to break that rule, though, other than the gorilla I think it would be the bear, which is brighter than most.

Some have also said that on a slope the bear's first lunge after being wounded is likely to be downhill, so you should never shoot uphill at a bear you aren't confident in incapacitating. I don't remember the words "big bore rifle" being used, but perhaps they thought that superfluous.
    Not true, a bear will know where hurt came from and so will many other animals. A Cape Buff will take you out right quick. Shoot a shot over an animal to scare them is like waving your shorts. Make a bad shot on a lion and dang you better be the Flash.
    Pop a bear with a .32. Not enough found to bury. What is on your headstone?

Boolit Master
    Whether its been an attack by an animal or a bad guy I've never heard of a person wishing they had a smaller gun with more capacity, bigger guns work best!

Dick

Banned

Whether its been an attack by an animal or a bad guy I've never heard of a person wishing they had a smaller gun with more capacity, bigger guns work best!

Dick
    Agree, a bear attack is .458 country. even a .44 is sad. Your PH does not carry a .32. or a nine. If he does, get your money back and go home.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think I should point out that if I actually expect to encounter a bear, cougar, or even coyote I would be carrying my .30-30 or even .45-70.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

ROTFLMAO!

Still, though, I can't help recalling the old story about the Alaskan woman who had only a .22 Short in a single shot rifle when a griz broke into her cabin while her husband was away, and fired a single shot into the bear's eye, killing it instantly. Have no idea how true the old story is, but another friend up in Canada had a neighbor from RSA who had a farm there once, before getting run out, and he was a farmer, not a hunter. One day the help came running, exclaiming that there was a cape buff in his garden eating all his well manicured foodstuffs. He walked out with an old Walther .22 and shot at it, and it dropped like a rock. Seems the bullet hit it in the eye and penetrated or riccocheted around and wound up in the brain pan, killing it instantly. He just walked back into the house not thinking much of the event, and the help had a rather BIG BBQ. Only later did he learn how dangerous what he'd done was. That seems hard to believe, and I relate it as given. All sorts of strange things CAN happen, but they just can't be counted on. It was a good laugh, though!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast