WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 32 caliber revolver for grizzly bear

Smile 32 caliber revolver for grizzly bear

I notice in October Recreation the inquiry of E. E. Vance, of St. Joseph, Mo., as to whether or not a 32 caliber revolver would be the right thing to use in a hand to hand engagement with a grizzly bear. A 32 is plenty big enough for the purpose if properly used. This is the proper way: Thrust the revolver down the bear's mouth into his stomach and rapidly empty the cylinder. Meanwhile hold the animal's nose tightly with the left hand to prevent the escape of gas. If the brute docs not drop dead, he will be so flabbergasted that it will be an easy matter to kick him to death.
    H. Coleman, Council Bluff's, la.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Buddy
    I've always heard that the best bear gun was a .22 pistol. When confronted with a bear just shoot your companion through the knee, then you can easily get away.

Boolit Master

Not enough powder and lead
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Beats harsh language or your Swiss Army knife, but not by a whole bunch.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Vendor Sponsor

If you're lucky enough to put one into a nostril, you can kill a griz with a .22 caliber PELLET GUN.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When you say "32" you don't specify which cartridge? 32 S & W short, Long or 32-20 Winchester? Makes a big difference . . . especially if the bear is left handed and blind in one eye!

Boolit Grand Master
    Aight, I'm a mid-caliber handgun enthusiast in depth and breadth. But with my most cutting and obnoxious John McEnroe-esque delivery possible, I must say--YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS......
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    When you say "32" you don't specify which cartridge? 32 S & W short, Long or 32-20 Winchester?
    Hmm, today it could be the .327 Federal. I bet THAT would make a great deal of difference.... OR.. you could stick it in the bear's ear and put one in the brain pan...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Maybe, if you have a pistol in .32 Winchester special. That'd be the smallest .32 I'd want for bear. You could probably build a BFR in .32 special???

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Maybe, if you have a pistol in .32 Winchester special. That'd be the smallest .32 I'd want for bear. You could probably build a BFR in .32 special???
    Well, since we've gone past the period cartridges available circa 1920, let's throw sanity to the winds...

How about a .444 marlin necked down to .32?
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    LMAO

Funny funny thread read way better than pepper spray bears love pepper on thier meals......

Boolit Master

If you rebarreled a G.E. M134 Minigun for the 8x57 Mauser round, you would technically have a .32 caliber revolver that I would have no problem using for defense against grizzly bears.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If you're lucky enough to put one into a nostril, you can kill a griz with a .22 caliber PELLET GUN.
    Problem's gittin' him to hold still.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    If you rebarreled a G.E. M134 Minigun for the 8x57 Mauser round, you would technically have a .32 caliber revolver that I would have no problem using for defense against grizzly bears.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Actually that historically would be a pepperbox, not a revolver (revolving cylinder) aka the Colt. Great idea, though!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    LMAO

Funny funny thread read way better than pepper spray bears love pepper on thier meals......
    Don't forget the little small bells...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master

Don't we have a special section for humor ??
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

People laugh this off. But if a 9mm with suitable bullets will drop a grizzly, then a .327 should do it. You either get a central nervous system hit, or you don't.

If you don't, a .338 could leave you waiting for results.

I never had to stop a grizzly although I worked a a remote site in AK where a foreman asked me to bring my 18" 12ga double to work every day. The only job where that's happened.

BTW what's the ME of one piece of unaimed 00 buck? How is throwing nine them in a bear's general direction better than aimed fire with a hot .32?

I would feel pretty naked with a small/med revolver going pop-pop as a bear got closer. I've been there with a badger that kept rushing as I emptied a .45 into him and remember the stupid feeling as the slide locked open and he was 20' in front of me and still coming. He died moments later from multiple hits.

How many aimed rounds can you get off with a .327 vs a .475? Twice as many?

That's double the opportunity to brain the bruin.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=108

I was backpacking in brown bear country with a friend years ago and he told me that he was afraid of bear so he was carrying. I couldn't see where he would have been hiding it, so I asked him what he had. He pulled out a 32 ACP. This guy was a cop.

Boolit Master
    I'm guessing cops taste just as good as civilians!

Dick

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast