Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Results with the Ranch Dog / LEE 95 gn RF in 9x19mm?

Results with the Ranch Dog / LEE 95 gn RF in 9x19mm?

Has anyone here had successful results with the Ranch Dog / LEE 95 gn RF in 9x19mm?

I am trying to load a cheap competition load that has decent to good accuracy in most guns and reaches the Swedish requirement of 420 Joule. That means roughly 1200 fps with this bullet.

So far my groups at 25 yards have been about 10". Totally disastrous.

I have tried my usual accuracy method, seating the bullet to the lands and using moderately slow powders to keep the pressures low. N340 and N350 have given me great results with the Lee 105 gn SWC, but not with the 95 gn RF (about 100gn with WW). I've tried sizing both .357 and .358.

Please report your success stories.
    Last edited by Whistler; 07-08-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Boolit Buddy
    I use it over 4.2gr of 700x in my Beretta CX4 carbine with good accuracy and slight leading of the throat area. Popped a gopher with it and it was devastating.

Very interested in what OALs you guys are using for this bullet in 9x19.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

After som digging I found a useful document on Ranch Dog's old site.
    His own OAL is 1.015".

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/...oadnotes02.pdf

I doubt he has actually tested all those loads, rather it seems he has QuickLoad simulated loads for a wide range of powders suitable for this bullet to save us the time.

I will try some of these in the near future.

My own first tests have been mixed in success.
    My Glock 17 feed this bullet fine, but accuracy is worthless, more than a foot at 25 yards.
    My STI Executive has reasonably good accuracy, but will not feed it at all. It hangs up on the meplat on the feed ramp on every round.
    Last edited by Whistler; 07-29-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    It is interesting to note that I have had better luck getting this boolit to feed in a 380 auto vs 9mm. I am still playing with it for the 9mm, but it does present more of a challenge with the short profile. the 38 super has no problem feeding this stubbly little thing for some reason. 357 sig was no problem as well.

Me and two aquaintances have tried this bullet in four different 9mm.
    All four fail to find even reasonable accuracy.

SPS 2011 showed 4-5".
    Glock 17 had 8-10".
    STI 2011 had about 5".
    Tanfoglio Stock ran about 4-5".
    All at 25y.

Water quenched WW with 5.5 grain N340, a load recommended by RD himself. Seated to 1.015".

I am very confounded by this design and why it has become so popular that Lee even made it a catalogue item.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post

I am very confounded by this design and why it has become so popular that Lee even made it a catalogue item.
    It works well in 380 its intended cartridge. Try slowing it down. For me it just does not feed well, and at the velocity it can achieve I can see how it could be difficult to squeeze accuracy out of it without a gas check. RD loads are max.

Boolit Master
    It's execelent in the 380, my results in the 9mm were dismal. So bad I have never revisited it! I think the fast twist in the 9mm with the short bearing surface limits the usable velocity. My memory says 380s have a slower (lots slower) twist, and we do not push it as hard either. Some have had good results in the 9mm with the little boolit, but I suspect at nothing close to 1200fps. Mine was still showing slippage at 900fps, WD wheelweights sized.358 against a ,355 bore. Gun was a Tan clone of the CZ75.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Folks, just my .02 worth; I bought this mold when it was first available from Ranch Dog many years ago. Like many of you, accuracy was poor at best. BUT, when loaded in .380, accuracy is good. I just think that the 95gr is simply too light for the 9mm, just my opinion.

That being said, I still like the profile design, and recently bought the heavier cousin to the 95 grain version. Its the NOE 357-135-RF with pin options. Since this particular bullet drops from MY mold at .358, I'll be loading it in 38 Special in addition to 9mm. Link below for your pleasure.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...r3npqjesv8sma3

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.