RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-30 bullets hitting sideways

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Well....Just turn the target sideways. .
    A good friend of mine who only shoots a Sharps ( not the new ones) made that statement to me one day down at the old Danville rifle range on the river bottoms. We had 500 yards down there and he was trying to help me get my old 1873 Trapdoor (groove .464) to shoot his 40-1 500 grain .458 boolits with 2F Goex. Some time after wasting near 35 rounds of keyholers (the few that made it to the 200 yard target) Danny made the statement. Well we did a throat pound" with one of his bullets and found the problem. Left as cast at .461 from his "Sharps" mold it did much better. But it took .462 + diameter to finally get that rifle to print at groups 500 yards. That was 35 years ago this summer up there.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

I run .311 in my Marlin micro grove

Boolit Grand Master
    What runfiverun says: Get it moving faster to increase the RPM. Might stabilize it.

Banned

Twist is just plain forgotten with every gun, can't do that. You need RPM's or rifling would never been invented.
    I kept reading about shooting heavy boolits slow so I made the tests. Does not work.Attachment 144776 This boolit did 1-5/16" at 200 but look what shot slow does at 50. Would you hunt with it?

Boolit Master

I was gifted with a small pile of plated 150gr bullets and thought I would try the lightest listed load of IMR 3031 with them. What a mess. Too fast for the plating to hold and they were key holing the target if they even hit it. Tried Unique and that was much better in that they at least hit the target nose first and in a group. Switched to Trail Boss and they seem to shoot best at the top end load data listed. I say this because this flies in the face of velocity. I've also found that it's really hit or miss to get a gas check bullet to shoot well without the check installed. I was trying to be cheap and skipping checks and the minute I added them the groups tightened quite a bit. All this shooting is done with a later production 336 and a Remlin 336.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master
    Too slow or too heavy for your twist. Got to be a rifle whisperer. Your rifle tells you what it wants. It would be like a QB trying to lob a football several times larger than he can throw well. You either get a gorilla or you get a lighter and shorter ball. Your rifling isn't imparting enough spin to stabilize that boolit at the plinking speed you are driving it.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

have tried 170grn Lyman and 190grn RCBS as cast with and without GC at 1,050fps with good results in a 336 using 7.0 grns Nobels No.2 and filler. With a Leupold tactical mildot 3.5-10 scope on top 2MOA was the norm out to 300 yards. Groups at 100 were better without the wind to contend with . . . eventually upped the velocity to 1600fps to get better killing power . .. accuracy was improved as a bonus.

just rambling here .. . i have put thousands of boolits at subsonic velocity thru my BRNO .308W using mostly 210grn Lymans. usual scope was a Mk4 6.5-20 Leupold TMR reticle, that was close to 1MOA accuracy, 170s and 190s were also very consistant. Eventually changed to the .30/30 reasoning the case is a better design ( boolit grooves/lube inside the case ) for hunting, which turned out to be true.
    Last edited by rosst; 07-22-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Rotate your target 90 degrees.

BB
    This made my day...

I notice your powder's Red Dot, try a slower powder i.e., Unique or, Blue Dot. The keyholes might be the result of the bullet moving too slow.

Boolit Master
    Try a faster powder and more speed

Boolit Master

I had to slow down .309 coated lead cast for my 30.06 12 grains of unique is what i likes with a 158 grain boolit. Im still working on my mosin loads with .312 coated lead. Tried unique from 11-14 grains with a 168 grain Boolit. But it's all over the place. No grouping what so ever. With factory FMJ'S its a tack driver. Going to try 2400 next.

Boolit Master

3+ yr. old thread!
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    Glenfield is a Marlin made by Marlin for Marlin. Price leader(economy models) guns with slightly different features(sights, forend caps, etc) and stocks usually made of birch. Not a store brand as stated early in the thread.

1Papalote

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12