Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Modify Ideal tool to reload Round Ball (Outdoor Life, April 1918)

Post Modify Ideal tool to reload Round Ball (Outdoor Life, April 1918)

I always wondered about the correct top punch for round balls. This is a period view of using an Ideal tool to load RBs....

As always, these folks are long DEAD. If anyone wishes to argue with me about this article, speak to the hand.

Outdoor Life, Vol 41, No. 4 – April 1918 Page 288

https://books.google.com/books?id=U_...bullet&f=false

Re: Reloading Cartridges.

by L. H. HAIGHT. N. Y.

Editor Outdoor Life—In the February issue of your magazine I notice a scheme by Mr. Noyes for re-loading cartridges with round balls by using the standard tool and dropping a cut off bullet in the bottom of the chamber. The writer tried this scheme for a number of years, and it did not give particularly satisfactory results because the lead plug changed in shape continually and the balls were seated at different depths.

A much better scheme is to remodel the tools as shown in the attached photo. A brief description is as follows:

With any of the standard Ideal tools, such as the 1, 4, 6, etc., which have single adjustable or solid chambers, by drilling and tapping the chamber for ‘a standard machine screw, such as a No. 14-20, you will get a positive seat for the ball. By soldering in a small washer a very convenient method of adjusting is obtained. By knowing the pitch of the thread, if the ball is not seated quite deep enough the first time, by moving up one thread you will reseat it just that much further, say 1-20 of an inch on a 20-thread screw. Lock nuts can also be used to hold the adjusting screw in position. This is not shown in the photo.

Attachment 143720

By making up a second screw with wire brad soldered in the end, a very handy de-capping device is obtained, and one which will not be continually dropping out of the tool or sticking in the shells or primer pockets.

The standard machine screws and the drills and taps can be secured at any garage or locksmith, and the work only occupies about five minutes. The operation of the tools when remodeled is as good as any of the adjustable chambers. The actual cost is only a few cents.

Standard sizes of buckshot make very convenient round balls. For the .32-cal. rifle or Smith & Wesson cartridge, use No. 0 buckshot, which runs about 140 balls to the pound. For the .38 Smith & Wesson and .38 Special, use No. 000 buckshot, which runs 103 to the pound. For .38-55 rifle, use round balls, 85 to the pound, For black powder in .45 Colt, use buckshot, 50 balls to the pound. These are a little bit small and will not give results with smokeless powder, altho when used with black powder and seated right down on the powder with a little lubricating material run in around the edge of the ball, it will give excellent results.

Most hardware stores carry the No. 0 and No. 000 buckshot in stock. Schuetzen powder and Du ~Pont’s No. 1 give excellent results. The proper charge seems to be about half a shell full for revolvers. A convenient dipper is made by taking an old shell and cutting it down with a file until it is half its original length. Then a short, stiff wire or a wire-finished nail can be bent and soldered to the side of the shell, which makes a very convenient dipper. In the longer shells it is best to hold the powder in place against the primer with a wad, or a plug of cotton if a wad cutter cannot easily be obtained.

For wad cutters, instead of purchasing a regular wad cutter, a visit to the nearest hardware store will usually procure a standard punch which will give excellent results.

For .32 calibers, No. 11 punch is right; for .38, No. 12 punch. Wads should be punched on a lead block about one inch thick. This will give good, sharp, clean-cut wads and will not dull the punch.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master

i like it tx for posting

Boolit Grand Master

ohland, perhaps you could contact the administrators and get a sub forum all your own for "Old out of print reloading articles"?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    ohland, perhaps you could contact the administrators and get a sub forum all your own for "Old out of print reloading articles"?
    Hmm, a concentrated approach vs a scattering... Let the readers decide, I'm not in the business of making decisions anymore.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Grand Master

For those interested the 310 shop will make a seater for round balls. He did for me. I'm loading buckshot in the 32S&W.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have a set of the tongs for 38 spl with the non adjustable seating chamber (but no old). Works great for the standard boolit (358-311) but I often wondered what a person did "in those days" to seat other rounds such as a round ball gallery load. I load a few up once in a while but now use my steel 310 tongs with a 38 spell. adjustable seating die in place. Fortunately, my seating stem is long enough to seat the RB in the casing but I do have a set of 310 dies for the 38 Colt Short/Long that the seating die would work as well.

That's a great article - thanks for posting. Just goes to show that some folks "improvised" very well before the 310 sets came along. I always enjoy the old articles - a lot can be learned from them!