Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help me make my 35 Rem shoot

To be honest there are so many advantages with a Marlin over a Winchester style rifle I would keep and work on the Marlin.

As noted I also have a 72 JM Marlin in 35 Remington but awaiting loading tools for the caliber. As I am sure you know for this round one can not usually just run to a gun shop lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

Everything is hard to find for such a fine caliber.
    The problem being many did not realize what a great deer caliber it is.

Boolit Mold

Picture of Bore and Throat

I will say these pictures are terrible quality. Even worse on the picture. They look a lot better on the screen but this is a low quality bore scope. This is the best I can offer with what I have. I would appreciate any input from anyone that knows more than I do which will be most of you lol.

This first Picture is of the bore right past the rear sight going torward crown end. The second is near the forearm band. There is a third spot that looks similar to the second one a little further down. I forgot to snap a pic of that one. These are both on the top of the barrel but pic show them low.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00261[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	146088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00262[1].jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	146089

These are pics of the throat area. There is a spot similar to the bore pics you can see. This spot is at the top of the barrel just left of the sight in location. I am not
    sure what it is. I cant get the rifle back out to make sure its not a lint piece since the wifey is now in bed. From comparing this to my other rifles, there no throat in comparrison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00268.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	146094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00267.jpg 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	146093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00266.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	146092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00265.jpg 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	146091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00264[1].jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	146090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00271.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	146097
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00269.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

That's a typical Marlin throat. They often made the throat very steep and sudden. That's not to say this type of throat cannot shoot, it's just that a little more finesse is required. These throats often do surprisingly well with paper patched bullets.
    The rest of your pictures can be almost anything. I would scrub the barrel vary well with a bronze brush and Hoppes No.9 or equivalent, take a couple passes with a clean boresnake and try it again.
    If the images do not clear up, I would take a tight fitting jag and see if you can feel these spots you see. As it is, it could be almost anything.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Mold
    Cleaned the bore really well with hoppes and a brush. Multiple soaks and scrubbing. Took the scope again and had a look. Spots are the same. I ran a tight fitting patch down the bore and you can for sure feel two of the spots. Fiddling with the scope it looks like it's rust. Almost looks like the rifling is rusted away. I had my wife look when I was doing it and she even said it looks like " it dips on the high spots", her words. The spot at the throat with a good angle and focused looks like the rifling is pushed back with a high spot between the lands.

What are some options for cleaning the bore? Steel wool and a rust penitent?

Boolit Master

Get some 4F STEEL wool and wrap it into a bore brush until it will barely pass through the bore. Coat it with something like JB bore compund ( MY all time favorite bore cleaner) and have at it! I even use this on my Benchrest rifle and it will not harm the barrel. I have a Hawkeye bore scope to varify this. IF your barrel is as bad, I'd send it to Goodsteel and rebarrel it with a Ballard style rifled barrel in a twist and chamber profile for cast boolets! If you have never had a rifle with a custom barrel INSTALLED CORRECTLY, you are in for a treat!.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    Get some 4F STEEL wool and wrap it into a bore brush until it will barely pass through the bore. Coat it with something like JB bore compund ( MY all time favorite bore cleaner) and have at it! I even use this on my Benchrest rifle and it will not harm the barrel. I have a Hawkeye bore scope to varify this. IF your barrel is as bad, I'd send it to Goodsteel and rebarrel it with a Ballard style rifled barrel in a twist and chamber profile for cast boolets! If you have never had a rifle with a custom barrel INSTALLED CORRECTLY, you are in for a treat!.
    But the BIG ? is who makes a barrel profiled correctly for a Marlin in .358 Caliber? I have not found any?

The only thing I thought of was to get a pull off barrel from a Marlin 30-30 and then send it off to Jess to have it re-bored to .358 and re-chambered for 35 Remington. Numrich gun parts has Marlin 30-30 barrel pull offs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    But the BIG ? is who makes a barrel profiled correctly for a Marlin in .358 Caliber? I have not found any?

The only thing I thought of was to get a pull off barrel from a Marlin 30-30 and then send it off to Jess to have it re-bored to .358 and re-chambered for 35 Remington. Numrich gun parts has Marlin 30-30 barrel pull offs.
    Almost all the custom barrel makers will profile a barrel any way you want for a small fee! For the 336, I'd call Douglas!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234