Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Lee 22 mold, NOT the Bator...

Boolit Master
    Thank you very much for the explanation. Sounds like more than I can get into just yet though.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Could one of you guys with this mould please measure the length of the slug ?
    I'm hoping to use this in a 22TCM and it's kind of length sensitive.

Thanks in advance
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Mold
    I have sort of followed Doug but I am attempting a .22 magnum all the way down at 60-70 fpe and closer to stock Mrod...

Using a converted Marlin 883N barrel... I will be trying my hand at carving little 35-45g boolits out of these and the Bator...

Still getting it all together and looking forward to the challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    Could one of you guys with this mould please measure the length of the slug ?
    I'm hoping to use this in a 22TCM and it's kind of length sensitive.

Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441724611438.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	148498

My best measurements. Thought i posted this. Also have gone to shorter COL then listed.

Boolit Master
    Berksqlh, Wow! Thanks for posting this. haha, all I was expecting was an OAL !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    Well...not that I expected it to fit in a modified .25 magazine, but there is the 'NO' answer...

Ordered from FS Reloading last week, and finally get shipping notice a week later. Should have it to play with this weekend.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Boolit Grand Master

I cast with my new Lee 22 cal 6 cavity yesterday. No problems keeping the mold hot or boolits falling from the mold. They measure .227" with a #2 Lyman type alloy. They weigh right at 55 grs.
    Should be a good shooter.

Boolit Mold

Name:	16 GRN H-335 LEE 225.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	150005Attachment 149997Attachment 149997Attachment 149987

I got to play in the yard with my Axis today this is a 45 yard 10 shot group with the new LEE225.
    16 Grains H-335. Would any body care to guess at the velocity?
    Last edited by ERADICATOR; 09-28-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ERADICATOR View Post

Name:	16 GRN H-335 LEE 225.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	150005Attachment 149997Attachment 149997Attachment 149987

I got to play in the yard with my Axis today this is a 45 yard 10 shot group with the new LEE225.
    16 Grains H-335. Would any body care to guess at the velocity?
    From how well the holes are cut, well into super-sonic...1700 fps?

I *AM* going to make some of these this weekend. I'll be quite happy with anything near 960 fps. Mostly lead; just enough Tin to fill well.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Boolit Mold
    Mostly lead and a little tin. That sounds like a good alloy to use with a little bulls eye powder. I think the high lead content will be able to upset and create a very good seal. let me know if its a winner.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    For $20, I couldn't resist the 2 cavity. I'll have to order up some .22cal gas checks now, but I'll be trying hard alloy with hi-tek and no checks as well.
    We think a whole lot alike good prices so I ordered a few other items that I needed
    (Or wanted)
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Can I drag this out of the weeds , and see how some of you fellas feel about this little Boolit now a year or so later . Like how fast are you pushing em , are they hitting what your shooting at , are they working in the semi ? The weather going to be bad so I got a day or two off to goof around .

Boolit Master

I'm interested too. Considering getting to run in an AR with 1/9 twist.

Boolit Master
    Got the 2 cavity one ,casts great boolits just fall out ,well impressed still working on a load to get decent accuracy with true blue 6.5gr is looking promising.

Boolit Master
    Received a 6 cavity from Titan 2 weeks ago and was pleased with results of the first casting session. Of roughly 700 boolits cast about 450 made it past inspection for use in the .222 M 788. I was water dropping the slugs and cast a number before mould got up to temp to prevent wrinkles. I'll preheat it on a steel plate sitting over a burner next session. Managed a 1-3/4" five shot group @ 100 yds on first range trip with this boolit and did not go thru weighing/sorting of boolits. I'll get serious about trying to load up some accurate loads next outing. Anyone else noticing the heat?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Mold
    $20 bucks.... I can see one of these in my collection soon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not into the "AR" thing......just shoot bolt actions for accuracy.
    Those that did use the BATOR and now shoot the new LEE FP, is there a difference in your group size?
    What is the advantage of the new FP vs. the Bator?
    Also, those that have the six cav. mold.....are they harder to open? and would you recommend them over a 2 cavity?

Boolit Master
    Sounds like we are interested in the same thing. I haven't been able to shoot enough of both designs to decide if one is more accurate. The Bator I bought is a 2 cavity and the bore rider is a six cav. - The six cavity isn't hard to open but is noticeably heavier than the two cav. if you are into a long casting session. I'm 63 and it was tiring to go a couple of hours with the six cav.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    Good for Lee, glad they have this one available. Perhaps sometime later they will offer a 22 mold in the 45 or 50 grain weight for the Hornet and Bee. One can always hope.

Thin Man
    you could mill the top of the mold off .... to make a lighter boolit
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Wow, almost a year later and Im finally playing with loads from this mold.

I cut me teeth on the bator mold, upgraded to the .228" 72g NOE cause it was the best fit for my AR chamber. Worked up a great load and learned a lot about aloys and lubes as well as my PC and heat treat technique.

That being said, using my own alloy (with some Copper in it) that I have yet to get analized, and my best found results from my 72g NOE tests (gas check and size, then powdercoat and heat treat to temp and water drop, then pan lube with MML+ and lee push through size and age 1 month minimum)

Today I shot 5 5 rnd tests using Ramshot TAC powder at 100 yds in my 1 in 9 twist AR.

16g, 17,18,19 and 20 grains of TAC

16 grains didnt lock the bolt back, 17 grains grouped under 2" at just under 2000 FPS. 20 grains was the best group with smallest deviation in speed at 2400fps, which suprized me.

The bator groups went to hell at a much lower speed, but to be fair, they were just COWW, not heat treated, not powdercoated and my lube was substandard back then.

Planing on pushing these with my aloy and setup to see how fast they go before groups open up then pick a load below that somewhere to work on.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast