MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Lee 22 mold, NOT the Bator...

Boolit Buddy
    $63.43 for the 6 cavity mold from Titan with handles and shipping. Any assistance in how to drill out the gas check shanks? I plan on PC
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    Any assistance in how to drill out the gas check shanks? I plan on PC
    You really need to set yourself up carefully–its so easy to mess up. Do a search–there are some good posts on the topic. Personally, I think I'd bring it to a machinist or send it to Buckshot.

Still astounds me that Lee can turn out great products so cheaply.

Lee asked the CBA for input on what moulds they should be offering. Looks like Lee listened.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    I just bought one on Ebay. Sold by Titan but, it is 27.50 Shipped. On the Titan site, they want 20.49 but, shipping is 12.05 to my zip by USPS, 14.xx by UPS.

Frank
    I just received my mold. Two days, can't ask for better service than that!

Regarding removing the GC from the base. It's not that easy. I remove a lot of GC shanks, while it's possible to do it with a drill, as a machinist, I quiver at the thought. I use reamers and for 22 cal, there isn't a proper size, a #1 comes closest at .228, that will give you aboit a .227 base band, depending on alloy. You also need to make sure that there is no run out while the reamer turns and that you indicate the center of the cavity.

For my 22's, I use a special size .225 reamer to get a .224 base band.

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartme...imal/1784.html

Read the bottom of the page for special sizes.

Frank
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 01-15-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cattleskinner View Post
    http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/...mold-c358200rf.

Looks like Lee is expanding some, and offering new mold designs...

Wait that one is a .358? Why does it seem rather long? B/c it's 200 gr?
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    I was thinking the same thing, and may have to buy both the 55gr .22" and the 200gr .358". I gotta wonder how that .358 would do on hogs out of a .357 Mag.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cattleskinner View Post
    http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/...mold-c358200rf.

Looks like Lee is expanding some, and offering new mold designs...
    Looks a lot like the RCBS 35-200-RF only with a roll crimp groove.

Boolit Master
    Ordered mine from Titan yesterday. It shipped today. Guess I'll go get the casting table cleaned off and at the ready.
    ph4570

Boolit Mold

My mould arrived two days ago

My mold arrived two days ago. I ordered it from FS Reloading. It was quick and painless. The castings weigh around 54 grains. I had little success with the bator this new design seems to be much better. I am working on a light 223 load right now, just sized and lubed over a little Bullseye, no check. This is grouping six rounds in a nickel size group @ 45 yards. I think these are going to fly a lot better than the bators. Feeding is very good in my Axis.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ERADICATOR View Post
    My mold arrived two days ago. I ordered it from FS Reloading. It was quick and painless. The castings weigh around 54 grains. I had little success with the bator this new design seems to be much better. I am working on a light 223 load right now, just sized and lubed over a little Bullseye, no check. This is grouping six rounds in a nickel size group @ 45 yards. I think these are going to fly a lot better than the bators. Feeding is very good in my Axis.
    Keep us informed on how this goes. Curious what your loading is. I've got much more Bullseye than any rifle powder right now. My mold showed up last week but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

I just jumped in and ordered the 6 cavity to try. Had no luck with the bator, and been having good luck with a .228" 72g NOE, but it's too long for my AR and sticks inside the case a long way.

I think 60-65 would be optimal, but Lee is so affordable, i cant pass it up.

Anyone loaded and shot these yet? I've got a pile cast, PC'd, and set up a dummy to check fit, but nothing live or fired yet. Wondering if anyone has had any reports on it yet.

Worked up toward 24.3g of TAC with them tonight. Best group was at 24.3g. My jacketed 55 grain load is about 25.5g, so Cu enhanced and heat treated these may just be the ticket?

Here's 6 @ 100 yds. Plenty of room for improvement. More testing on the way.

I snagged one off ebay and with BLC (2) and sized to .225 with aluminum GC with LLA, it will hold less than an inch with ruger American compact @ 60m
    Last edited by mwells72774; 08-10-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	147426I had a little time to play with the new 225 mold again. I sorted by weight, checked, lubed then sized. these topped about 18.5 grains of H-335 in mixed 223 Brass. Shot a vertical string about 1/2" wide by 7/8" tall at 42 yards. If you're asking the question as to why I always use 42 yards? well here is the formula. 42 Yards = the distance from my porch across my driveway. These new lee pills show much more promise than Bators did for me. AMF

Boolit Mold
    I've been using H-335. I may have to try some BLC(2) are these close to the same powder?

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Lee now offers a 22cal 55gr GC FP mold in two or six cavity.

Thought you might like to know.
    http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/bullet-molds/22-c

Waco
    So did you get one yet?

Boolit Buddy
    One thing to consider wid these wee boolits is the sprue cutter Lee supplies is for much bigger boolits; the hole is near gas check shank diameter. I got in on some 4140 sprue plates for these a while back( for the .225-40 RD mistake on the .255-50 mold). Works like a charm, but it requires a bit more care centering the stream. Got one of the new 55's in 6-cav on the way for $46 delivered. It is going to see service in my air rifle, and with 2-98 tin-lead it should come out a wee bit over 55 gr. More weight=More BC, and for what will be a target rifle, sometimes shooting against pellet users, that is a good thing...
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Boolit Master
    Pakprotector,
    You just got my attention with the comments about using these in a air rifle. Would you mind giving a few more details? Such as what rifle, what velocities you expect, sizing/lubing, anything else I may be forgetting, etc? I keep thinking I should get a .22 air rifle for pest control, and depending on results, this may be the perfect solution.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Pakprotector,
    You just got my attention with the comments about using these in a air rifle. Would you mind giving a few more details? Such as what rifle, what velocities you expect, sizing/lubing, anything else I may be forgetting, etc? I keep thinking I should get a .22 air rifle for pest control, and depending on results, this may be the perfect solution.
    It is a hot-rodded Benjamin Marauder. Started life as a 25 cal. It is running a TJ liner, 14" twist and .224/.219 groove/land usually run in centerfire work. It has a huge custom valve in it. These boolits will not work with .22 pellet barrels, as they are closer to .22/.214 or so. I am expecting to achieve at least 950 fps with this one; I have already gotten 1040 fps with 46 gr boolits( cast from a 225353 Lyman mold).

For pest control, it would likely be best to get a .25 Marauder, and turn it up to shoot the new 34 gr Heavy King pellet from JSB. Certainly easier than trying to build a boolit shooter right off the bat.

Or see this guy...
    http://americanairarms.com/
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast