Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tac X for everything?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Tac X for everything?

I cast for .32 and .380 Auto, 9X19, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .30 WCF, and .45-70. I've been using 50/50 alox-beeswax in my handgun rounds, mostly because I bought a bunch for cheap when I started casting. It works ok but seems to be on the soft side. I do get a little bit of lead flakes in the bore in 9mm. My rifle boolits are dipped in LLA, which seems to work very well.

Life is too short for insufficiently lubed boolits so I ordered me up some of Randy Rat's Tac X. Anybody use it for all their rounds, handgun and rifle? My luber is a Lyman 450 with no heater. If it works well in the handguns I would like to try it in my rifles as well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    He sent me a couple of sticks to test. So far I have had nothing less than great results in both rifles and handgun.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Used it with handgun through 45/70 with excellent results.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love TACX. I need some heat on mine though, and even a 40W bulb close enough to warm the sizer a bit will be enough to make it flow easily.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I got my Tac X yesterday. Cleaned out the 450, melted the lube, and poured it in. Itching to try it out I lubed a handful of reject boolits that were waiting to be melted. The Tac X seems to flow just as easily as the 50-50 I was using, in fact with the luber still warm from the melted lube it was alot more squishy than I am used to. Hopefully I can cast and lube some boolits tonight and try 'em out this weekend. Will be picking up my Glock 42 next week, hopefully it will like a .357 boolit with Tac X.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Funny this should come up as I just put my first ever batch of rifle boolits on a flat pan preparing for some TAC X tomorrow after work. I tried the DTPC on rifle boolits and it was a PITA. I'll leave that for pistol boolits I think. I'm hoping this method works and lube works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I do not use it for everything. I use beeswax and olive oil in my BP revolvers.

Everything else gets TAC-X.

Yep pan lubing is a PITA. Gotta search for a lube sizer for lubing only.

Boolit Buddy

Nice looking boolits, Beagle. I'll have to try some Tac-X in the next upcoming sizer refill.

Boolit Master
    Is that a Ranch Dog tumble lube design lubed with Tac-X?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Ranch's molds are designed to be dip lubed with LLA. You might be able to dip into melted Tac-X though. I've been thinking about trying that myself.

Been shooting alot of Tac-X in .380 Auto and 9X19 lately. Great stuff, really seems to cut down on fouling and improves accuracy.

Over the weekend I discovered my wife really LOVES th e smell of this stuff so I decided to melt some down into wafers for her to put in her Sentsy melter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Is that a Ranch Dog tumble lube design lubed with Tac-X?
    Yes it is. I just shoved it through my trusty No. 1 sizer and it lubes 'er right up.

Hmm, mebbe I should try the Lee 356-95-RF in the sizer. Thought I would let everyone know that my Glock 19, 26, and 42 absolutely love Tac-X with .356 boolits in the factory barrels. You can read about it in the sticky on Glocks with boolits in the wheelguns, pistols, and handcannons forum.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking boolits Beagle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Ranch's molds are designed to be dip lubed with LLA. You might be able to dip into melted Tac-X though. I've been thinking about trying that myself.

Been shooting alot of Tac-X in .380 Auto and 9X19 lately. Great stuff, really seems to cut down on fouling and improves accuracy.
    Yes you can DIP lube with TAC X or TAC 1 and here is a link on it.
    Some tips on making Dip lubing easier more successful.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-lead-boolits

Boolit Buddy
    I use it with pan lubing. Works well and does not melt in the summer here in TX. Randy's regular TAC seems better in cold weather than TAC X. They both work well.

Ed C

Boolit Master

Geeez Beagle333 those look like Art work, I wish mine looked that good N clean..Nice job!

I still pan lube my .32 Auto slugs as I don't use that many of them and too cheap to buy a .313 die for the sizer. Tac-X works great as pan lube, no cutter needed. Just wait 'til the lube is firm to the touch but still a little warm and pull 'em out with pliers. The grooves will be filled with very little clinging to the sides or bottom of the boolits.

Anybody know if Tac-X might work well with black powder substitutes?

Boolit Master
    I just melted out a new to me luber. I think I'm going to give this stuff a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast