MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses 3fffg black powder for .50 and up?

Boolit Master

Who uses 3fffg black powder for .50 and up?

Just had to post this. I have long been of the mind, 3fff for .45 down, .2ffg for .50 and up, an shot real well with all my ML's. I have had a couple of customs, .50 and .54, that had a small breech that 2ff did not go into well, I used 3fffg and guns shot great, no misfires. I did back the load off about 10 grains. The reason I post this, as I was going thru my powder stores, I have a small amount of 2ffg and three times as much 3fffg. I am talking using hunting rifles, that all shoot great with known 2ff loads and conical or round balls. Most are TC Renegades and Hawkens, other are TC Omega and CVA Kodiak, a OMega copy. I shoot 95 grains in the 50's, with 2ffg, and 105 with the. .54. I was thinking 80-85inthe .50's, and .54's. All feedback appreciated.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I shoot 3FFF in everything, from .32, through .62. The only thing that will really answer your question is a bench rest, and some time. Your 2FF may do well with your heavier bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    2ffg does extremely well in my.50&.54 rifles, thanks for the reply. Ifweather permits this weekend I will go the range and put in some serious bench time.

Boolit Master
    i do , it seems to burn the best with the least fouling for me in 50 as well as in y 45 I don't have anything any bigger than 50
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

I use 3f in every thing from 40-54 cal, My trade guns [20ga. & Brown Bess 75cal] get 2f.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I have always used 3F in my .50
    I guess it was a carry over from my days with the .45cal
    No misfires, and seems really accurate.

Boolit Master
    I use 3F in everything from a .32 rifle on up through a 13ga (.710") shotgun, and it works great in all of them.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    So far, Ive used 3f in everything up to .54, everything works fine. I don;t shoot the really heavy stuff though
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Ditto, 3Fg in everything up to and including 66 caliber.

Me too. I had trouble with my TC muzzle loader at first. I could not get the accuracy I was used to with my Remington 7000ML. One of the things that really turned it around was switching to FFFg Holy Black. For years I used Pyrodex FFg and Hornady 240 XTP sabots. That load has killed so many deer for me I have long ago lost track. When my Remington went away for a lighter more handy front stuffer, I wound up switching to another (pure lead) sabot bullet and 90 grains of FFFg. Now my TC shoots so accurately I went and bought 3 pounds of FFFg Black for my storage locker. I should be good for many hunts now.

Boolit Master
    I also use 3F in all of my guns (.50 cal Lyman Deerstalker, .45 cal Ruger Old Army, and .44 cal Remington NMA) which is either Olde Eynsford or Triple 7.

I had often read that people felt the .50 cal rifle was the teetering point for 2/3F.

I don't want to need to carry two powder flasks when out hunting, and as my pistols are limited, I went with the more energetic powders as I want .45 Colt level performance in a sidearm.

I tried the heavier 320 grn Lee REAL with my typical 70 grn charge for PRB and found it gave exceptional performance.

I'll be using 3F for anything I get including muzzleloading 20-12 ga.

Boolit Master

I like 3f in everything from .32-.58 caliber when going to the larger calibers I reduce the powder charge for 2f by 10-15% and have never had an issue. I also use ww lead for my round balls works great. YMMV
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

I'm also an fffg user also in my muzzle loaders and BP cartridges.

Larry Gibson

I use 3f in my .50's. The max in my manual is 70 grains. The max for 2f is 90 grains with prb's. 3f just works better at 50-60 grains. Much less fouling.

Boolit Buddy
    3F works fine in Minie Rifles in 58 Caliber. It is more "energetic" and leaves less fouling in the bore to be cleaned out.

Boolit Grand Master

When I used to shoot a lot of BP I used pretty much only FFFg in everything from .44 cal muzzleloader to 12 ga. (both cartridge and muzzleloader). I tried FFg in my .58's but found that it didn't burn as clean. I also tried Fg and FFg in my 12 ga. but again, seemed to get better results using FFFg. Also, the only powder granulation regularly available was FFFg so... that's what I used.

Oh, also FFFg in my Marlin 1895 when I felt like making smoke. Worked just fine there too though I wouldn't claim to be able to compete with the long range guys.

If ya got it... make smoke with it! It works for me.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I also use 3f in my T/C renegade, with a .530 PRB. Love that stuff, I have two lbs. of it should last me a lifetime, or so I hope!

I use fffg in everything

Boolit Buddy
    I have never seen fffg. Where to find it?
    luvtn

I'm using Jacks Battle for most everything except for heavy boolits.