Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: arsenal 358-124 gr. tc mold in 9mm

Boolit Master

arsenal 358-124 gr. tc mold in 9mm

Well gentlemen and ladies my wife is going to let me cast for her 1911 Springfield a1 9mm .she noticed I finally got my 45 running with my own cast bullets. I am tickled it has been a whole new experience for me ,I have just started casting.reliable functioning and no leading.I have two saeco bullet molds 2 cavity 185 swc 4cavity 200swc. So that is my only experience,conserding aluminum arsenal 5 cavity 358-124 gr tc .l nead to size to at least .357 and would like to be able to go to .358 for her astra a 70 as well. I am gental on my molds ,but possibly my ignorance could damage the aluminum mold. I don't hit with stick or bang on it but never used different molds.if you have some experience with arsenal molds please advise.thank you New member.

I have well over a hundred bullet molds of different sizes, made from iron, brass and aluminum and have never damaged one by using it. I use the same care no matter the material.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Thanks I see light marks on top of my mold under spruce plate.

For reference, those arsenal molds are the same designs as NOE, they used to make the NOE molds. Honestly for quick and high volume, I like aluminum. Its about all I cast with anymore.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply.I have studded this sight for almost a year .you all have helped from finding lead ,witch pot ,molds ,home made lube .........on and on . without this sight l would still be thinking of casting my own.

Boolit Master
    Well I ordered it yesterday . I will see how it holds up and cast .

I looked at that same mold, I went with a N.O.E. I hope it cast well for you. Please keep us updated.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Master
    It is 125 gr tc not 124 my mistake.

Boolit Master
    No it was 124 and it came in today ,but waiting on handle from midway. When I ordered handles orderd a lee 124 tc 6 cav standard lube with them.so I can see for myself what everyone is taking about with molds.

Boolit Master
    Well I think it is a nice looking mold,kind of sporty real shine but have not got handles yet. Playing with it noticed spru plate humped up in the middle. Took a lot of stoning to get good and level,thick and hard plate very hard. but have not got to cast with it .

Boolit Master
    I just started casting with mold after cleaning degreasing.heated it up started filling it up then I could not cut the spruce.so I set on end of cutter on basement floor and smacked it .I have been using 4 cav and have been cutting by hand with no problem .so l was surprised I thought it was cold so I pored real big spruce several times still same cutter is sharp just spent couple afternoons leveling plate.I always cut as soon as the spruce starts to set just couple sec. I had the pot lee 4/20 hot I was also trying out a new lee 6 cav just to see if I like aluminum molds,got it hot and cast till wrinkles stoped put bull plate lube few times liked it easy enough. Then tried the arsenal and couldn't cut spru I had to hit it so hard I thought I would damage the aluminum mold. Well taking break then try again.

Boolit Master
    Well got it going smothed up cutter plate ,and wacked it with a stick . This in no way makes me think that this is not a great mold .I am a new caster .so I am the problem.but I am getting it figured out.( with all your help ) .by the way I should have figured more cav harder to cut .I am familiar with machine work I am a commercial fisherman we constantly tear things up .so I got a buddy that over halls my engines and runs a machine shop .I have a pretty good idea about what it takes to make a perfect mold .darn near impossible. Ps the fella at the mold shop offered to send a new plate you can't beat that but I am shore it was just me being pickey and a tinker.

Boolit Grand Master

Until the mold/sprue plate heats up you will need a stick to cut the sprue if you fill all the cavities. Let it heat up and you can cut it with a gloved hand, I use a welding glove. I use a hot plate that I imagine gets to about 300 degrees and have to hit the plate with a hammer handle maybe three or four times before I can use my gloved hand.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Think I will get a cam on it like a lee but till then work it with a mallet. Again please let me say I think the mold is a work of art the cavities are cut nice and clean the venting is beautiful amazed with the quality for 80 bucks nice .