RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 5MM Rf

In Remebrance

5MM Rf

Just noticed a local shop had some NEW 5mm Remington RF cartridges on hand.I think it was "Citation Cartridges". FYI, might help someone out.

I think you meant Centurion Ordinance. Aquila is making them for their US distributor Centurion Ordinance. I think Midway will have them soon.http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...772&t=11082005

Old Western Scrounger has some and so does Sportsman's Guide.

Boolit Mold
    My Dad bought a 5mm Remington when I was a kid, that was one sweet rifle. Then Remington decided to quit making ammo. I still do not buy Remington guns to this day.

Still have a box of ammo, Dad traded off the rifle years ago.
    Joe

In Remebrance

Good deal guys. Kinda wish I'd bought that 5mm I saw a few years back. Nice gun.

In Remembrance

What is is selling for now? Dale

Boolit Master

I've had one of these for years. Someone gave it to me because he couldn't get ammo for it anymore. There is a company that converts them to centerfire and sells all the stuff to reload for them but it is expensive. I was thinking about trying a reline to 17HMR but that ain't cheap either. I'll have to get it back from the gunsmith now and get some ammo.
    There for awhile the ammo was worth more than the rifle, if you had any.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Why not rechamber to .22 LR and have a squeeze bore? Seriously, pressures in the .22 LR are pretty low and squeezing the bullet down to .20 as it goes up the barrel (pressure dropping at this point) seems like it might be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    What is is selling for now? Dale
    http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/1174 Out, taking orders for the next shipment.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=423500 Starting at/as low as $16.97.

Boolit Master
    That was my squirrel gun for years till ammo got scarce , loved that rifle , my eyes were good back then , early to mid 70's , once I got it broke in I could take the top of their heads off , free hand I usually got them in the neck , took about 250 rounds to get broke in tho and just for fun I ask my step dad at that time if I could take the knobs off the dash of an old 57 Ford we where junking out and he said ya , sure , you won't do it , so I did , 1 knob , 1 shot , did I say I loved that rifle , traded it in on a 22 mag .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Mold
    i love my 5mm heck i still got 6 boxes of old shells left .
    rusty

In Remembrance

I got 5 1/2 boxes in some reloading items 8 or 9 years ago. I gave $5 for the box and sold the 5mm to a friend for $25 a box (1/2 going price at that time). He was tickeled and so was I. I sold some in '85 for $25 a box. This is a bargain price! DALE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Why not rechamber to .22 LR and have a squeeze bore? Seriously, pressures in the .22 LR are pretty low and squeezing the bullet down to .20 as it goes up the barrel (pressure dropping at this point) seems like it might be possible.
    It would only be a single shot. Even 22 mags won't feed from the tubular magazine with out some sort of modification and long rifles would be way to short.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Super Moderator

............The Rem M591's are mildly moded (for extraction) 540/580 series rifles. If this is the 5mm ammo for them, I'm blown away that anyone would even consider making it now. The rimfire rifles that used it were nice, and bearing such a close kinship with the 22RF versions I'm sure a lot were altered for that cartridge, let alone the centerfire conversion.

It boggles the mind to think that someone would figure there were enough 590 series rifles around yet, to warrent the expence of R&D and tooling up to produce it again. Heck, not even Remington did that in all these years, and it faded due to lack of sales back then. Amazing.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remebrance

I missed 2 but had thought of having them altered for the 5mm CF version. What a squirrel gun!

Boolit Master

I had one that I bought for $35 back in the early 70's and would still have it today if I could have found ammo for it. The reason that the guy I bought it from sold it to me was because the ammo got up to $4.00 a box of 50 and I still bought it, but when the ammo was discontinued, I just traded the rifle to my favorite gunshop for reloading supplies. I don't know why it did not take hold, for it was really a groundhog buster out to 150yds or so. Squirrels never had a chance to dig their claws into the side of the tree before they fell out completely headless. It was very accurate.

A guy at work still has one that he got from is Grandfather so I'll forward him the above info. He had thought about having me convert it for him to centerfire and load up a bit of ammo for him, but that would have been a lot of work.

The last boxes of shells for 5MM Rem Mag that I saw at a gunshow were $75 a box.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Buckshot;314724
    It boggles the mind to think that someone would figure there were enough 590 series rifles around yet, to warrent the expence of R&D and tooling up to produce it again. Heck, not even Remington did that in all these years, and it faded due to lack of sales back then. Amazing.

..............Buckshot[/QUOTE]

But some of these smaller companies don't have the overhead that Remington does, and can work with the smaller volumes. The big guys are only going to put out things they believe they will sell a lot of....if it doesn't pan out, they drop it. At the least, they make it a "special run" like 375 Winchester brass and ammo is.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Thompson Center has a 23" barrel listed in the 2008 catalog for the Contender in 5mm. Have not seen any for sale yet though.